1st 2 days of qualifying - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 18th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #1
Grafiati

Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all
1st 2 days of qualifying

Hello to everyone-I would love to be able to write a huge in-depth report but time and energy just don't allow it... I will still do my best to type the highlights of the last 2 days...
As for the matches...
Vanessa Webb is too slow to win on red clay... it is not as if Alexandra Kravets is a wonderkid, but Vanessa simply couldn't do it athletically or with a defensive baseline game (yes, she only served-and-volleyed a few times each set).
Alejandra Recio had no chance against Giulia Casoni (spelling) who is a solid claycourter and quite nice-looking. Svetlana Krivencheva doesn't seem to have much of a game, let alone a forehand that she kept trying to run around to hit-she went out to Sophie Lefevre, who is constantly conversing to herself in French, but in a fun way (and saying practical things, not just self-berating). Olga B HAD Paula in the 2nd set but then let it go and just went through slapping the ball in set 3, still smiling though to herself. Rossana played great stuff and Sunitha was off-Sunitha chatted with me afterwards, since she was shocked I speak English (some man was yelling at her in Spanish about how she can't play tennis in one of the tournament desk sites and I got her out of that). Ivana Lisjak has lots of power and Nuria just couldn't do anything to stop it... LIndsa Lee-W was on and off but finally did well to win her match while Liezel Huber was down 1-4 and 3-5 in set 3 before taking a solid tiebreaker against Shiho Hisamatsu, a feisty girl with decent strokes.
Day 2-Galina Voskoboeva seems to be a good player but couldn't handle Martinez Granados-couldn't see much of the match as I was focusing on Jidkova/Sassi... the Italian is nothing huge but keeps the ball deep, a good strategy on clay, while Jidkova just laid into herself, being very self-critical and letting the raquet fly, fly, fly. I was surprised that Kravets beat Casoni because she had lost the first set when I left but she must have found confidence, which she seems to have a lot of for a young-looking girl. Gagliardi smashed Lefevre, she has some good touch, but Manu seems to have an attitude, even retorting to her coach in English after the match that she wasn't trying too much on a volley that would have ensured a double bagel. Cargill was playing a Lisjak who didn't want to lose-I think Lisjak has potential, her shots are really solid. Vento-Kabchi finally put out Paula García after tense moments in the second set and a double fault on her first match point. Rossana was too much for Liezel, and her little daughter is adorable running around all over the place (and HITTING with Paola Suarez in the morning, she is precious). Finally, Lindsay lost a match she should not have, being up 6-5 serving in set 1 and convincingly going up 3-0 in the second... I did not see how she destructed at the end but that is a poor effort to go down in such fashion.

Pato Tarabini practicing today looking great, honestly, even at her age having every shot in the book... Magui smacking the ball well, Ruano-Pascual hitting with Wartusch, Maria Antonia playing with Maria Jose and hitting well (looking great, too)... best off court pictures and moments with a very nice Fabiola Zuluaga yesterday, who was very nice, and Barbara Schett (practicing with Janette and looking good, for once).

If anyone wants to meet up send me a message, it is hot out there but interesting because a lot of these players I hadn't seen yet live.
Enjoy everyone!
Grafiati is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2003, 07:30 PM   #2
country flag [S@nti]

[S@nti] has much to be proud of [S@nti] has much to be proud of [S@nti] has much to be proud of [S@nti] has much to be proud of [S@nti] has much to be proud of [S@nti] has much to be proud of [S@nti] has much to be proud of [S@nti] has much to be proud of [S@nti] has much to be proud of [S@nti] has much to be proud of [S@nti] has much to be proud of
thank u!!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _. _.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ . . _ _ _ _ . _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . _ _ _ .
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _._ _ _ . _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . _ _ _

[Marta Marrero On-Line]
[S@nti] is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #3
country flag Sharapova's_Boy

Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks!

Sharapova's_Boy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #4
country flag Gowza

Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of
thanks. you say Ivana Lisjak has power? how much power? she's only 16 and did quite well in the challenger events last year. is it enough power to trouble any top players?

also good luck to: azarenka, lucic, sprem, vakulenko, vaidisova, safarova, ivanovic, groenefeld, mirza, krajicek, kvitkova, larcher de brito, lisicki.
Gowza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:27 AM   #5
jasforreal

jasforreal has disabled reputation
Thanks for the update regarding Vanessa...too bad she didn't get some points here....
jasforreal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:30 PM   #6
Grafiati

Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all
Hi Gowza,
I didn't get a lot of looks at Lisjak because I was sure she would win both matches she was playing in rounds 1 and 2 of qualies and did not feel there would be a lot of tension in the matches. Here's what I remember... she has an okay serve that could improve and yes, hits with a lot of power. I wouldn't say that right now it would challenge the top 10 but watching people like Martinez Granados and others ranked about 70, she could definitely overpower them. One thing I noticed that is hopefully a trait of her is her willingness to hold herself back... a few times she was on the run and tried to go for way too much but the next point she would slow down and pick her spots. I also think she seemed willing to go up to the service line to take balls out of the air with swing volleys, if I remember correctly.

Also, a few other things: Chanda Rubin did pose for a photo but not until after a snippy comment (her coach Benny Simms was right there) that was not necessary-I have been hearing a lot about the two of them stonewalling fans and sure enough it happened again. On top of that, why is she only practicing off of his light feeds from the net? I think she would be better off HITTING the ball, but that is just my opinion. On a better note, Janette was hitting with Babsi on Sunday and Babsi looked very good (good on her for winning her first match)... they were about to play out games and they kept shouting out to each other in slightly broken English "We play for dinner?" "We just play for drinks?" and then after Janette lost a few points she cracked "No appetizer, okay?" It was all in good fun and Iroda had come out to stretch, so she was laughing as well with her coach.

Hope I answered your question Gowza... enjoy watching and following the event, everyone.
Grafiati is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #7
country flag Gowza

Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of
Grafiati, thanx you did answer my question, hopefully i'll get to see for myself sometime soon.

also good luck to: azarenka, lucic, sprem, vakulenko, vaidisova, safarova, ivanovic, groenefeld, mirza, krajicek, kvitkova, larcher de brito, lisicki.
Gowza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote