Venus Williams: Overachiever, Underachiever, Achieved Enough? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 7th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #31
country flag Joelina

Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future
Re: Venus Williams: Overachiever, Underachiever, Achieved Enough?

underachiever of course, but she was never going to win as many slams or more as Evert or Navratilova

Kvitova Vaidisova Ivanovic Cepelova Hantuchova Jankovic
Joelina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #32
country flag Andrewraven

Andrewraven is a name known to all Andrewraven is a name known to all Andrewraven is a name known to all Andrewraven is a name known to all Andrewraven is a name known to all Andrewraven is a name known to all Andrewraven is a name known to all Andrewraven is a name known to all Andrewraven is a name known to all Andrewraven is a name known to all Andrewraven is a name known to all

Ignoring her slam finals against Serena, the US open 2005, 08, 10 were well within her reach So yeah, she has underachieved a bit but still she has had a fantastic career.

Sam Stosur | Maria Sharapova | Serena Williams | Agnieszka Radwanska | Petra Kvitova | Caroline Wozniacki
Andrewraven is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #33
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

I think she achieved enough, at her best she was extremely inconsistent so 11 weeks at number one is more than enough for her, but she was very talented and capable of beating everyone, so 7 Slams with more than half of them coming out of nowhere after dozens of horrible defeats in the season she won them is also okay.

R.I.P. Bally
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #34
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingisGOAT View Post
Considering her abysmal results at 2 of the 4 Slams, her losing h2h against most of her rivals, and the fact that her athleticism covered up enormous technical deficiencies, she definitely overachieved.
Bitch sit!! Meanwhile undoubtedly, I believe she's an underachiever taking into account the timing of some of her injuries.
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #35
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewraven View Post
Ignoring her slam finals against Serena, the US open 2005, 08, 10 were well within her reach So yeah, she has underachieved a bit but still she has had a fantastic career.
She lost against the eventual champion in all of them lol

R.I.P. Bally
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #36
country flag ivanban

ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by le bon vivant View Post
She's a legend. 200 years from now, Black children will be learning about who she was in school. What more can one ask for?
Why would only black children learn/know about her?!
ivanban is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #37
country flag Hartson

Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute

Overachieved. Only a few weeks as #1 - pathetic result for a player who won 7 GS. That means she coudln't play on high level during a long period.
For example Henin was #1 of the year three times. Not even a contest
Hartson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #38
country flag ivanban

ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartson View Post
Overachieved. Only a few weeks as #1 - pathetic result for a player who won 7 GS. That means she coudln't play on high level during a long period.
ivanban is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #39
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartson View Post

Well she didn't play enough to be #1 whether it was from injury or study.

2000 she won 6 events but missed the first 5 months of 2000 due to tendonitis.

2001 she took the fall from the tour due to study commitments.

2002 Serena surpassed her and dominated.

These three factors explain her limited weeks at #1

Hingis played every week pretty much and was burned out by 2002 which explained why she had so many weeks as #1 even in 2000 or 2001 when Venus was winning majors.

Sent from Verticalsports.com App

Quote:
Originally Posted by honzaneumannn View Post
So who will win the next 6 Wimbledons? Petra 2 of them, thats for sure. And dont even try to tell me that you see some hotter candidates than hers!
Marcus1979 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:23 PM   #40
country flag MrSerenaWilliams
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktymise View Post
Big LOL @ bitter Hingis fans.

Venus never really got back to her very best after that bad abdominal injury she sustained at Wimbledon 03. Yes, she's had some flashes of brilliance over the past decade, but she wasn't able to sustain it like she was before.

I'd say her slam count is fine, but she definitely choked away a few US opens.
This.

It's hard to call anyone with 5 Wimbledons and 2 US Opens (more than anyone else on tour, NOT named Serena) an underachiever, but not counting the finals she lost to Serena, Venus let quite a few slams/titles slip out of her hands.

Largely, because over the past decade (apparently) she's been dealing with a serious auto-immune disease, and a SLEW of ill-timed injuries, but also because, despite her superior athleticism, she's not the technician/perfectionist that her sister is.

EIGHTEEN GRAND SLAMS
LaReina Jameka Williams
MrSerenaWilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #41
country flag TennisGhost

TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelina View Post
underachiever of course, but she was never going to win as many slams or more as Evert or Navratilova
Well, you're right. But 10 was within reach. Would've been a nice number.
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #42
country flag cehowardrx7
74,Old,Dirty & Fast

cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Fan View Post
As far as I'm concerned this topic has never been opened on TF.

-- I'm curious to know, if you guys feel Venus in her career is an overachiever, underachiever, or has she achieved enough?

Personally, I feel she's underachieved, contrary to majority of people here, I've always felt Venus was a better player than Serena. I don't understand why she hasn't gotten a career slam. Has seen in her results, her game fits well to all surfaces. Without a doubt, she is one of the greatest to play the game, I just feel that her legacy should be stronger than what it is.
She has 7 Grand Slams for ***** Sakes.. Venus has went past overachiever, and she is in the stars.

IMO, anyone who achieves just one Grand Slam is an achiever.

Shucks, Maria only has 4 Grand Slams, and Vika only has 2.. Maria and Vika both would be tickled pink just to have 6 Grand Slams..
My roadrace motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/630-P.jpg
cehowardrx7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #43
country flag SasiadkaGienia

SasiadkaGienia is a splendid one to behold SasiadkaGienia is a splendid one to behold SasiadkaGienia is a splendid one to behold SasiadkaGienia is a splendid one to behold SasiadkaGienia is a splendid one to behold SasiadkaGienia is a splendid one to behold SasiadkaGienia is a splendid one to behold SasiadkaGienia is a splendid one to behold SasiadkaGienia is a splendid one to behold SasiadkaGienia is a splendid one to behold SasiadkaGienia is a splendid one to behold

Definitely overachiever.

Quote:
Considering her abysmal results at 2 of the 4 Slams, her losing h2h against most of her rivals, and the fact that her athleticism covered up enormous technical deficiencies, she definitely overachieved.
This.
SasiadkaGienia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #44
country flag TennisGhost

TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
But people need to stop using the "if Serena..." excuse. Serena stopped EVERYONE from winning more Slams, and that's because she is the best of her generation. Venus just happened to be her sister.

If Serena didn't exist, everyone would have more Slams. Not just Venus. So, is everyone an underachiever?
Well, to a certain extent.
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:45 PM   #45
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Overall, I think Venus was somewhat of an underachiever.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote