Venus Williams: Overachiever, Underachiever, Achieved Enough? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 7th, 2014, 04:10 AM   #16
country flag Queen Vika

Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Venus Williams: Overachiever, Underachiever, Achieved Enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDuvallGrant View Post
Looking at how Serena only has 17 slams, why didn't Venus win the slams Serena didn't claim?
I was talking more about 2002-03 when Serena had her slam, beating Venus in all 4, which not for Serena, Venus probably could've won (giving her 10+, maybe just because the French Open is a bit meh). after Venus was never the same player anyway...
Azarenka Ivanovic Sharapova Safina Pierce Kournikova Vaidišova Kirilenko Capriati Zvonareva Davenport Hingis Dementieva Venus Jankovic Bencic Chakvetadze Kvitova Schnyder Kuznetsova Myskina Wozniacki Henin Giorgi Svitolina Townsend Schmiedlova Petkovic Zhang Duan

Is Her Last Name Ivanovic?!

AO 95 97 98 99 00 01 02 04 08 12 13 FO 00 01 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 12 14 WC 97 99 00 01 04 05 07 08 11 14 US 97 98 00 01 03 04 06 07
Queen Vika is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #17
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Venus Williams: Overachiever, Underachiever, Achieved Enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingisGOAT View Post
Considering her abysmal results at 2 of the 4 Slams, her losing h2h against most of her rivals, and the fact that her athleticism covered up enormous technical deficiencies, she definitely overachieved.
So her results are "lesser" because her athleticism gave her an advantage against unathletic girls? This is a sport we are talking about right...or did I log into the wrong forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #18
country flag VeeReeDavJCap81

VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute

Underachieved for sure, she should be well into the double digits in slams for sure. I think too much blame is placed on her syndrome tho, there's countless big matches at slams Venus should've have won but concked out mentally at crunch time. Venus after 2002 was never the mental giant she was at her peak.
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:42 AM   #19
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingisGOAT View Post
Considering her abysmal results at 2 of the 4 Slams, her losing h2h against most of her rivals, and the fact that her athleticism covered up enormous technical deficiencies, she definitely overachieved.

Must be painful that a player as pedestrian as Venus had more majors than a player oozing with talent and skill such as Hingis

Sent from Verticalsports.com App
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:47 AM   #20
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by le bon vivant View Post
Not Sojourner.
I wondered how long it would take for someone to catch that.
And you were the ONLY one.
Kudos to you sir.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #21
country flag Smitten

Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Fan View Post
I don't understand why she hasn't gotten a career slam. Has seen in her results, her game fits well to all surfaces.

But anyway, she achieved more or less about what she should have. She only really had a clear advantage over her main rivals on grass, which is shown by her Wimbledon titles and H2Hs there on the grass.

Despite people wanting to believe anything else, on hardcourt her rivals had a nice go of it with Venus. And her clay record above MM level is mediocre.

I think 6-7 Slams is fine for a player of her ability.

But people need to stop using the "if Serena..." excuse. Serena stopped EVERYONE from winning more Slams, and that's because she is the best of her generation. Venus just happened to be her sister.

If Serena didn't exist, everyone would have more Slams. Not just Venus. So, is everyone an underachiever?
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #22
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWill View Post
So her results are "lesser" because her athleticism gave her an advantage against unathletic girls? This is a sport we are talking about right...or did I log into the wrong forum
Don't try to get into that poster's head. You'll may NEVER escape.

j/k...
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:52 AM   #23
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Sojourn syndrome
The Witch-king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:22 AM   #24
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute
Big LOL @ bitter Hingis fans.

Venus never really got back to her very best after that bad abdominal injury she sustained at Wimbledon 03. Yes, she's had some flashes of brilliance over the past decade, but she wasn't able to sustain it like she was before.

I'd say her slam count is fine, but she definitely choked away a few US opens.
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #25
country flag TennisGhost

TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Underachiever.
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #26
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

underachiever. but she's still achieved a lot.
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #27
Miss Atomic Bomb
Legendary

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

I think her illness definitely has stopped her from winning atleast a few more slam, especially when it comes to all those slam losses which seemed inexplicable in 2008-2012.

But even then, there were usually better players waiting for her in the final rounds, so there is no guarantee she would've won anyways.

I personally like to think that given her unparralled combination of athleticism and power, she definitely should've won a few more slams.

Quote:
Serena stopped EVERYONE from winning more Slams
This!

These topics always bring up the delusional 'well she always had more potential than Serena' kind of statements. There is a reason why Serena was the first one to win a slam, win 17 of them and completely has had Venus's since by 2002.

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #28
country flag Smitten

Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute

Serena said it best a short while ago: the HCs are so slow now /and/ that before there were only 6-8 girls who could really whack the ball.

Both of these things worked against Venus in the long run. She couldn't adapt to the slower courts and the general increase in power, particularly concerning her second serve.

I kind of think Venus was already somewhat declining even in 2002. Yes, she was still the 2nd best player on tour but people were already closing the gap on her. She was barely beating some of those girls. The ab injury did not help matters, but she was already beginning to struggle.

I think people choose to believe that had she not had the ab injury and Serena still got injured, Venus would have dominated the tour outright in 2003-2004 or even later than that. I don't really believe that, but whatever.

Viktymise Don't get dragged, girl.
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #29
country flag JanNYC

JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future

I think she should have won at least 10 slams, Serena or not Serena (and I have always thought Serena was the better of the two when it came to pulling victory out of the jaws of defeat...Serena always had more of the that dog in her than Venus)...but Venus' ass should have at least 10 slams...I still can't believe that EPIC USOpen choke job she pulled off SMFH///also, I think Venus was just fuckin stubborn when it came to her game

*EDIT I meant 10...I was drinking last night ya'll lol

Last edited by JanNYC : May 7th, 2014 at 05:50 PM.
JanNYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #30
country flag serena_the_queen

serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future

Maybe a slight underachiever. Probably should have snagged an AO at one point, but she did really have some abysmal matches there. Isn't deserving of a RG title. An amazing athlete but not the complete player that Serena is. Doesn't have the same court sense or Serena's legendary grit.