Venus Williams: Overachiever, Underachiever, Achieved Enough? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 7th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #1
country flag SV_Fan

SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future
Venus Williams: Overachiever, Underachiever, Achieved Enough?

As far as I'm concerned this topic has never been opened on TF.

-- I'm curious to know, if you guys feel Venus in her career is an overachiever, underachiever, or has she achieved enough?

Personally, I feel she's underachieved, contrary to majority of people here, I've always felt Venus was a better player than Serena. I don't understand why she hasn't gotten a career slam. Has seen in her results, her game fits well to all surfaces. Without a doubt, she is one of the greatest to play the game, I just feel that her legacy should be stronger than what it is.
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2014, 03:07 AM   #2
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Venus Williams: Overachiever, Underachiever, Achieved Enough?

She's a guaranteed HOF inductee upon retirement, so I'd say she achieved enough to be considered one of the greats of the modern game.
Underachiever / overachiever, are both subjective calls.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #3
country flag salmon pants.

salmon pants. has a reputation beyond repute salmon pants. has a reputation beyond repute salmon pants. has a reputation beyond repute salmon pants. has a reputation beyond repute salmon pants. has a reputation beyond repute salmon pants. has a reputation beyond repute salmon pants. has a reputation beyond repute salmon pants. has a reputation beyond repute salmon pants. has a reputation beyond repute salmon pants. has a reputation beyond repute salmon pants. has a reputation beyond repute

She underachieved if you are just looking at numbers. She could've had more slams, more titles, but by virtue of her younger sister being better in their finals, she simply didn't get the wins. With that said I think when you look back on Venus's career you take that in account, and rate her appropriately, but if you're just looking at just numbers, surely she could've had more.
salmon pants. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:15 AM   #4
country flag MashaAzarenka

MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future

I definitely think she's achieved enough, but at the same time I would consider her an underachiever because of all the slam finals losses to Serena and if she hadnt gotten this disease I'm sure she would have plenty more GS titles

Sydney SF - Tsvetana Pironkova (6-4, 6-3) Australian Open R1 - Luksika Kumkhum (6-2, 1-6, 6-4) Doha QF - Jelena Jankovic (6-1, 6-3) Dubai R2 - Carla Suarez Navarro (1-6, 6-4, 7-6) Indian Wells R4 - Dominika Cibulkova (6-3, 6-2) Miami QF - Maria Sharapova (7-5, 6-1) Stuttgart R2 - Alisa Kleybanova (6-2, 7-6(3)) Madrid SF - Simona Halep (6-7, 6-3, 6-2) Rome R2 - Shuai Zhang (7-6, 5-7, 6-3) French Open R3 - Svetlana Kuznetsova (6-7, 6-1, 9-7) Eastbourne QF - Heather Watson (w/o) Montreal R3 - Ekaterina Makarova (6-4, 1-6, 6-2) Cincinnati R2 - Elina Svitolina (6-2, 7-6) US Open R3 - Aleksandra Krunic (6-4, 6-4)
MashaAzarenka is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:18 AM   #5
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

...also, that dang Sojourn Syndrome complicates the defining of her career.
Who knows how many more slams she would have claimed had she been healthy.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:18 AM   #6
country flag dagamezbest

dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold

In my opinion Venus will go down as the biggest underachiever in my book!

I too believe Venus has always had more talent, potential, etc. than Serena.

It is just unfortunate that she never developed into the player she should/could have been.

I think it had more to do mentally and subconsciously that Serena was the baby sister and she wanted it even more than Venus did.

We always talk about how Serena made Maria, Sloane etc. Well I think Venus made/enabled Serena to be the champion she is today.
dagamezbest is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:24 AM   #7
country flag Little Dreamer
テニプリ

Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute

Its hard to say she underachieved because she was such a grand champion. In my mind, if it weren't for her debilitating disease springing up in 2004 and her little sister scarring her for life () she could have very well ended up being the best female tennis player of all time

Little Dreamer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #8
country flag Slutiana

Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute

Underachiever.

Although the diagnosis of her disease at least seems to explain a few of her performances over the years
Slutiana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:40 AM   #9
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Underachiever but no fault of her own, she'd have the Career Grand Slam if not for her little sister. Her winning 7 slams and 5 Wimbledon titles will always make this a difficult call for anyone, biased or not.

She definitely isn't an overachiever and anyone who wants to argue that can miss me with the

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:41 AM   #10
country flag Queen Vika

Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute

If only Serena had never been born

Venus would have 10+ slams
Azarenka Ivanovic Sharapova Safina Pierce Kournikova Vaidišova Kirilenko Capriati Zvonareva Davenport Hingis Dementieva Venus Jankovic Bencic Chakvetadze Kvitova Schnyder Kuznetsova Myskina Wozniacki Henin Giorgi Svitolina Townsend Schmiedlova Petkovic Zhang Duan

Is Her Last Name Ivanovic?!

AO 95 97 98 99 00 01 02 04 08 12 13 FO 00 01 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 12 14 WC 97 99 00 01 04 05 07 08 11 14 US 97 98 00 01 03 04 06 07
Queen Vika is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:48 AM   #11
country flag JRena

JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of

Underachieved, she should have double digits considering her talent.
JRena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:01 AM   #12
country flag StarDuvallGrant
Golden State Of Mind

StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Vika View Post
If only Serena had never been born

Venus would have 10+ slams
Looking at how Serena only has 17 slams, why didn't Venus win the slams Serena didn't claim?

StarDuvallGrant is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #13
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

She's a legend. 200 years from now, Black children will be learning about who she was in school. What more can one ask for?

██████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #14
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
...also, that dang Sojourn Syndrome complicates the defining of her career.
Who knows how many more slams she would have claimed had she been healthy.
Not Sojourner.

██████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:05 AM   #15
country flag hingisGOAT

hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Considering her abysmal results at 2 of the 4 Slams, her losing h2h against most of her rivals, and the fact that her athleticism covered up enormous technical deficiencies, she definitely overachieved.
In tennis history, no top player has suffered more beat-downs in big matches than Vulturepova T1 R16 2-6 1-6 AM | T1 SF0-6 0-6 LD | T1 F 3-6 1-6 MH | AO F 1-6 2-6 SW | T1 R16 1-6 1-6 SW | RG SF 1-6 1-6 AI | Wimbledon SF 2-6 2-6 VW | T1 QF 2-6 2-6 VW | T1 F 4-6 1-6 VA | T1 QF 1-6 3-6 SW | T1 F 1-6 4-6 VA | T1 SF 1-6 2-6 Woz | AO F 3-6 0-6 VA | T1 F 2-6 3-6 VA | T1 QF 1-6 3-6 SW | Olympics F 0-6 1-6 SW | T1 F 3-6 1-6 VA
hingisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote