Is Simona Halep really overrated/overhyped? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: ?

She is overrated. 14 6.54%
She is overhyped. 18 8.41%
She is both. 25 11.68%
She is neither. 147 68.69%
Not sure. 10 4.67%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7th, 2014, 04:49 AM   #31
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Simona Halep really overrated/overhyped?

in the microcosm of Tennis Forum, she is apparently "both." But in that realm known as reality, she has achieved remarkable success this past year and deserves to be where she is in the rankings today, and yet remains a virtual unknown to the general public despite being #5 in the world with 7 titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
Not pressed at all. Just hate Maria and all she stands for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
Why are you determined to create animosity among people in GM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
This actually a serious topic believe or not. Maria planning for motherhood...

Last edited by TrollPova : May 7th, 2014 at 04:57 AM.
TrollPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2014, 06:07 AM   #32
country flag PIAoTvTeY

PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I think that's the wrong attitude to have though. She should play to please herself, not "a lot of people," because for a lot of people great is not good enough and they are really impossible to please. And it only gets worse the better she (or any other player) gets. When you reach the top hundred they predict that you'll never make the top fifty. When you make the top fifty they predict that you'll never make the top twenty. When you make the top twenty they predict that you'll never make the top ten. When you make the top ten they predict that you'll never make the top five. And when you make the top five and win 7 tournaments they claim that it's meaningless because you haven't won a slam. Chances are they if she wins a slam they will call it a fluke. And if she wins multiple slams they will point to other players who have won more slams than she has. So don't try to prove anything to anyone other than yourself is what I would say.
Yeah she can laugh off what people may say,but its impossible for her to stay on top 5 in 2015 with what's so far made fans proud of her this season,which in some ways.means a failure to prove to herself.
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #33
country flag drg

drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut. View Post
She does not. She still has 7 titles more than Hyphens and Hypechard combined, times three.

On the question: no, and the real reason why people dislike her is 1. she beats their faves, and 2. her fans can be annoying.

First, this is pure stupidity . U can't dislike a player because of a fanbase , only if u don't have personality .
Secondly, we are no more or less annoying than any fanbase. Stop with this .
drg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #34
country flag Mario101

Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui View Post
The question becomes why a Bouchard is pushed and advertised as if she's won and accomplished what Simona has. Sloane beat Serena in a slam so we get it with her. Eugenie is blonde and deemed pretty if not gorgeous and for a large population that deserves an honorary award. Is it that Simona doesn't fit some peoples standard of pretty? She hasn't beaten Serena or Victoria? Even though tennis is a global sport, her English? Personality? If she were pushed more, I think we'd know more about the person. It's just sad that she isn't a sub star after the likes of Serena, Li etc, because all she does is put her head down and try to win or win. I suppose she will have to force the issue when she wins big.
Have you watched Simona? She isnt someone who likes doing media or into fame. She is very private person and just want to play tennis and be left alone. I mean not everyone is comfortable with fame and attention. Of the top 10 players Simona is the person we know the least about. She never talks about her private life or do things like twitter. I was reading an interview when she was asked if she had a boyfriend and she said she doesnt talk about her private life and just killed the question. She already has fame in the tennis world as tennis fans know who she is. and she seem to have alot of attention in her own country.....even that is too much for her
Mario101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #35
country flag CristianB8

CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future

She is neither in the real world!
But Chrissie-fan had 2 remarkable posts and I don't know how to give reputation
CristianB8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #36
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

The facts are roughly as follows:
  • Simona had an excellent 2013, starting with her SF in Rome
  • Her 2014 has been fairly good, but so far less so than 2013
  • She hasn't yet done anything of real note in slams
  • She hasn't yet beaten any of the three players generally regarded as the best players in the last few years (Serena, Vika and Maria)
  • Barring injury, she still has most of her career ahead of her

So much for the facts. Now the opinions:
  • She has won a lot of admirers on TF
  • Some of those admirers are annoyingly defensive and/or unrealistic in their praise for Simona
  • Largely in response to those annoying fans, there is a group of roughly equal size and belligerence determined to cut her and/or her fanbase down to size
  • Outside TF she has received surprisingly little attention, given her achievements over the past year

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that this is pretty much all that can be said on this topic at this point in time. Frustrating as it may be, it is now down to Simona to prove what she can or can't achieve in her career.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #37
country flag Spring Pools

Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 7th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #38
country flag Mario101

Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future Mario101 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
The facts are roughly as follows:
  • Simona had an excellent 2013, starting with her SF in Rome
  • Her 2014 has been fairly good, but so far less so than 2013
  • She hasn't yet done anything of real note in slams
  • She hasn't yet beaten any of the three players generally regarded as the best players in the last few years (Serena, Vika and Maria)
  • Barring injury, she still has most of her career ahead of her

So much for the facts. Now the opinions:
  • She has won a lot of admirers on TF
  • Some of those admirers are annoyingly defensive and/or unrealistic in their praise for Simona
  • Largely in response to those annoying fans, there is a group of roughly equal size and belligerence determined to cut her and/or her fanbase down to size
  • Outside TF she has received surprisingly little attention, given her achievements over the past year

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that this is pretty much all that can be said on this topic at this point in time. Frustrating as it may be, it is now down to Simona to prove what she can or can't achieve in her career.
You are wrong about her 2014. Yes its been stop and start. But she recorded her best slam result and won her biggest tournament in 2014
Mario101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:51 AM   #39

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario101 View Post
You are wrong about her 2014. Yes its been stop and start. But she recorded her best slam result and won her biggest tournament in 2014
Feel free to shift this one to the opinions category if you like.
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #40
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
The word "overhyped" is overhyped.
this.
it's only used by people who are desparate and don't know how to make a valid point.

Quote:
She hasn't yet beaten any of the three players generally regarded as the best players in the last few years (Serena, Vika and Maria)
how often has she played these three players since her rise a year ago?

Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat View Post
this.
it's only used by people who are desparate and don't know how to make a valid point.

how often has she played these three players since her rise a year ago?
Serena twice (I think), the others none. Add this to the facts. Thanks!
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:39 AM   #42
country flag phantomplayer89

phantomplayer89 has a brilliant future phantomplayer89 has a brilliant future phantomplayer89 has a brilliant future phantomplayer89 has a brilliant future phantomplayer89 has a brilliant future phantomplayer89 has a brilliant future phantomplayer89 has a brilliant future phantomplayer89 has a brilliant future phantomplayer89 has a brilliant future phantomplayer89 has a brilliant future phantomplayer89 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Serena twice (I think), the others none. Add this to the facts. Thanks!
She's only played Serena, in Rome and Cincy last year. She hasn't faced Sharapova or Vika since 2012, when she was pusher. She was supposed to face Sharapova at the AO, but Domi had something to say about that. And we all wanted the the Simo-Vika match to happen at IW, but Vika lost in the opening round.
phantomplayer89 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #43
country flag s0higher

s0higher has much to be proud of s0higher has much to be proud of s0higher has much to be proud of s0higher has much to be proud of s0higher has much to be proud of s0higher has much to be proud of s0higher has much to be proud of s0higher has much to be proud of s0higher has much to be proud of s0higher has much to be proud of s0higher has much to be proud of

Calling a player who won 7 titles in the last 10 month on all surface, second best after queen Serena and jumping in the ranks up reaching top 5 overrated is a little bit too much. Maybe her fans tend to praise her results more than she deserve but that is our fault not hers. There has been almost two decades since we`ve have such a great player on tour and we might overreact on her wins and get too defensive when some trolls bash her (even when sometime they have a point) but that does not mean she is overrated nor overhyped. I could come up with at least two names whom are the definition of overhyped but that`s probably a subject to a different thread.
As for her media attention, I think she`s getting enough of it in Romania and if her English were any better she would get the same amount from the foreign press. If her results are going in the same direction as they did in the last year, she will get plenty press coverage, no worries about that
s0higher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #44
country flag drg

drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future drg has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomplayer89 View Post
She's only played Serena, in Rome and Cincy last year. She hasn't faced Sharapova or Vika since 2012, when she was pusher. She was supposed to face Sharapova at the AO, but Domi had something to say about that. And we all wanted the the Simo-Vika match to happen at IW, but Vika lost in the opening round.
Simona wasn't a pusher even before her breakthrough . SHe had no confidence and was inconsistent but she wasn't a pusher . For exemple she was more offensive than Carla Suarez Navarro .
drg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #45
country flag CristianB8

CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future CristianB8 has a brilliant future

I will be a little off topic, but would have been very interesting if in the poll "she is neither" could be switched with "she is both"
as a message to the trolls (every type of them, not just the Simona one's) if you get the larger picture
Sorry again for the off topic!
CristianB8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote