Is Simona Halep really overrated/overhyped? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: ?

She is overrated. 14 6.57%
She is overhyped. 18 8.45%
She is both. 25 11.74%
She is neither. 146 68.54%
Not sure. 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #16
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Simona Halep really overrated/overhyped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
If what little attention Halep is getting is already too much for some than I guess that they would be ok if tennis as a whole was about as popular as dwarf throwing. Halep is not overrated, she's underrated. If you are the fifth best player in the world you should be a superstar. There are football players who play for teams that are totally irrelevant even in their own countries that get more attention for scoring a goal against FC Nobody than Halep gets for a year of excellent tennis.
Apparently I must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Chrissie-fan again. Shame. This one deserves a green dot.

bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #17
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAoTvTeY View Post
Hard to say,but she does have a lot to prove to a lot of people
I think that's the wrong attitude to have though. She should play to please herself, not "a lot of people," because for a lot of people great is not good enough and they are really impossible to please. And it only gets worse the better she (or any other player) gets. When you reach the top hundred they predict that you'll never make the top fifty. When you make the top fifty they predict that you'll never make the top twenty. When you make the top twenty they predict that you'll never make the top ten. When you make the top ten they predict that you'll never make the top five. And when you make the top five and win 7 tournaments they claim that it's meaningless because you haven't won a slam. Chances are they if she wins a slam they will call it a fluke. And if she wins multiple slams they will point to other players who have won more slams than she has. So don't try to prove anything to anyone other than yourself is what I would say.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #18
InsideOut.

InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She does not. She still has 7 titles more than Hyphens and Hypechard combined, times three.

On the question: no, and the real reason why people dislike her is 1. she beats their faves, and 2. her fans can be annoying.
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #19
country flag AlonsoFx

AlonsoFx has a brilliant future AlonsoFx has a brilliant future AlonsoFx has a brilliant future AlonsoFx has a brilliant future AlonsoFx has a brilliant future AlonsoFx has a brilliant future AlonsoFx has a brilliant future AlonsoFx has a brilliant future AlonsoFx has a brilliant future AlonsoFx has a brilliant future AlonsoFx has a brilliant future

Look, I don't particularly follow her but I have to say she deserves the attention she has. She's very focused in her tennis and maintains her mouth shut. She does what she is supposed to at the moment, her real test will be RG where she has a lot to demonstrate. I have a lot of respect for her and her tennis
#1 JJ
AlonsoFx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #20
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that's the wrong attitude to have though. She should play to please herself, not "a lot of people," because for a lot of people great is not good enough and they are really impossible to please. And it only gets worse the better she (or any other player) gets. When you reach the top hundred they predict that you'll never make the top fifty. When you make the top fifty they predict that you'll never make the top twenty. When you make the top twenty they predict that you'll never make the top ten. When you make the top ten they predict that you'll never make the top five. And when you make the top five and win 7 tournaments they claim that it's meaningless because you haven't won a slam. Chances are they if she wins a slam they will call it a fluke. And if she wins multiple slams they will point to other players who have won more slams than she has. So don't try to prove anything to anyone other than yourself is what I would say.
Damn this reputation system, I'm giving you a green dot anyway, a big one.

bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #21
country flag Coconut91

Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloque View Post
She's considered overrated on TF because of some fans. But anyone looking at the facts, the publicity she gets for a top 5 player holding 7 trophies, would understand that she's actually quite under the radar. RG is around the corner and I can say that almost nobody in the French crowd will have a clue about who she is.
Exactly. She's overhyped on TF by some of her fans/trolls(?)but apart from that she's the opposite.

Imagine Bouchard had her results
Coconut91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #22
country flag DanLovesWTA

DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You just made ​​a portrait of many members on TF
Sorana Cirstea,Jelena Jankovic,Samantha Stosur,Victoria Azarenka,Eugenie Bouchard,Sabine Lisicki,Maria Sharapova,Ana Ivanovic,Caroline Wozniacki,Na Li,Monica Niculescu,Petra Kvitova,Flavia Pennetta,Belinda Bencic,Irina-Camelia Begu,Lucie Safarova,Madison Keys,Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Donna Vekic,Angelique Kerber,Elina Svitolina,Agnieszka Radwanska,Dominika Cibulkova,Venus Williams,Andrea Petkovic.
Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Deserve my appreciation: Steffi Graf, Elena Dementieva, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters.
DanLovesWTA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #23
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Since people seem to REALLY want to discuss this, the mods are going to let this thread go this time. Just follow Chloe's advice, which so far most of you are doing.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:53 AM   #24
country flag Greco

Greco is a splendid one to behold Greco is a splendid one to behold Greco is a splendid one to behold Greco is a splendid one to behold Greco is a splendid one to behold Greco is a splendid one to behold Greco is a splendid one to behold Greco is a splendid one to behold Greco is a splendid one to behold Greco is a splendid one to behold Greco is a splendid one to behold

Y E S

Touch me, touch me, don't be shy, I'll lay down face up this time, under you like a G.U.Y.

Croatian Tennis on facebook★
Greco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:09 AM   #25
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

The word "overhyped" is overhyped.

A little bit of hype around Halep is normal and justified (until around this time last year, she was a certified scrub barely in the top 100 who was known only for having reduced her big breasts)
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #26
country flag PoliCappuccino

PoliCappuccino has much to be proud of PoliCappuccino has much to be proud of PoliCappuccino has much to be proud of PoliCappuccino has much to be proud of PoliCappuccino has much to be proud of PoliCappuccino has much to be proud of PoliCappuccino has much to be proud of PoliCappuccino has much to be proud of PoliCappuccino has much to be proud of PoliCappuccino has much to be proud of PoliCappuccino has much to be proud of

Quote:
Very well put.

Quickly, hand out the potions!
PoliCappuccino is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #27
country flag NTUYZ

NTUYZ is a name known to all NTUYZ is a name known to all NTUYZ is a name known to all NTUYZ is a name known to all NTUYZ is a name known to all NTUYZ is a name known to all NTUYZ is a name known to all NTUYZ is a name known to all NTUYZ is a name known to all NTUYZ is a name known to all NTUYZ is a name known to all

Quote:
She's like Kerber in 2012 when she reach No.5. Better than Errani, needless to say.
All of them have a long way to catch up with a real No.5 player like Daniela and Anna(never coming back ).
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:34 AM   #28
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

She's overhyped on TF but nobody in Paris will know her.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #29
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think Halep is over-rated or over-hyped.

She's won seven tournaments in the past twelve months, the last a premier in which she defeated three top ten players. She in the top five. NOBODY, outside her relative small fan base, is talking about her winning a slam this year.

The level of hype, I think, is about right. It certainly has NOT risen to the levels of Bouchard or Stephens yet.

As for the rating .... I look at the tour this way, Halep aside.

Serena

[Li, Azarenka, Sharapova]

[Radwanska, Kvitova, Jankovic, Kerber, Cibulkova, Errani, Ivanovic]

[Pennetta, Wozniacki, CSN, Lisicki, Stephens, Bouchard, Stosur, Kuzzy, Vinci, Cornet]

To me, halep is squarely in Group #3. Is she REALLY the 5th player player in the world? Probably not. Is she CLEARLY one of the ten best players in the world? YES.

That said, look at Jankovic, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Safina and on bacl to Dokic and Kournikova, and remember the words of Joni Mitchell.

"I've seen some hot, hot blazes come down to, smoke and ash."

Last edited by Volcana : May 7th, 2014 at 02:43 AM.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:11 AM   #30
country flag Sui

Sui is a name known to all Sui is a name known to all Sui is a name known to all Sui is a name known to all Sui is a name known to all Sui is a name known to all Sui is a name known to all Sui is a name known to all Sui is a name known to all Sui is a name known to all Sui is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut91 View Post
Exactly. She's overhyped on TF by some of her fans/trolls(?)but apart from that she's the opposite.

Imagine Bouchard had her results
The question becomes why a Bouchard is pushed and advertised as if she's won and accomplished what Simona has. Sloane beat Serena in a slam so we get it with her. Eugenie is blonde and deemed pretty if not gorgeous and for a large population that deserves an honorary award. Is it that Simona doesn't fit some peoples standard of pretty? She hasn't beaten Serena or Victoria? Even though tennis is a global sport, her English? Personality? If she were pushed more, I think we'd know more about the person. It's just sad that she isn't a sub star after the likes of Serena, Li etc, because all she does is put her head down and try to win or win. I suppose she will have to force the issue when she wins big.
Sui is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote