Is Simona Halep really overrated/overhyped? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: ?

She is overrated. 14 6.57%
She is overhyped. 18 8.45%
She is both. 25 11.74%
She is neither. 146 68.54%
Not sure. 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #1
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute
Is Simona Halep really overrated/overhyped?

I know this topic has been discussed almost ad nauseam but it's usually only a few selected posters against Simona's fanbase so I wanted to see what the majority of TF really think. Feel free to share your opinion by voting in the poll.

So yeah, people call her "Hypelep" and say she's overrated for various reasons, mainly because she hasn't reached a SF/F in a slam yet and has yet to beat the likes of Vika, Maria or Serena.

OTOH I think she gets relatively little hype from the media or the WTA itself compared to other young(ish) players who have risen up the rankings. Which leads to one of Simona's biggest achievements, her incredible climb to world #5. That, combined with all the titles she's won recently on different surfaces should give people a solid reason to rate her among the world's best players today. Or do they actually rate her too high? What do you think?
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #2
country flag Mr Halep

Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Simona Halep really overrated/overhyped?

Never heard of her.

AH, you mean the "Heiress".

Last edited by Mr Halep : May 6th, 2014 at 10:27 PM.
Mr Halep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #3
country flag TennisGhost

TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute

No, she isn't.
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #4
country flag Iblis

Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future

No, people say that beacuse a big part of her fanbase is objectively annoying.

Wickmayer | Vesnina | Robson | Giorgi | Pironkova

Sharapova, Petrova, Makarova and all the Russian girls
Iblis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #5
country flag DanLovesWTA

DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute

Sorana Cirstea,Jelena Jankovic,Samantha Stosur,Victoria Azarenka,Sabine Lisicki,Ana Ivanovic,Caroline Wozniacki,Na Li,Monica Niculescu,Petra Kvitova,Flavia Pennetta,Belinda Bencic,Irina-Camelia Begu,Lucie Safarova,Madison Keys,Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Donna Vekic,Angelique Kerber,Elina Svitolina,Agnieszka Radwanska,Venus Williams,Andrea Petkovic.
Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Deserve my appreciation: Steffi Graf, Elena Dementieva, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters.
DanLovesWTA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #6
country flag tennisfan1001

tennisfan1001 is just really nice tennisfan1001 is just really nice tennisfan1001 is just really nice tennisfan1001 is just really nice tennisfan1001 is just really nice tennisfan1001 is just really nice tennisfan1001 is just really nice tennisfan1001 is just really nice tennisfan1001 is just really nice tennisfan1001 is just really nice tennisfan1001 is just really nice

Neither - she's achieved a lot in the past year and is clearly still on the up
tennisfan1001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #7
country flag Evan86

Evan86 has much to be proud of Evan86 has much to be proud of Evan86 has much to be proud of Evan86 has much to be proud of Evan86 has much to be proud of Evan86 has much to be proud of Evan86 has much to be proud of Evan86 has much to be proud of Evan86 has much to be proud of Evan86 has much to be proud of Evan86 has much to be proud of

Most people never thought she would ever reach the top 5 and she did. Most people don't call her the future world number 1 or future multiple GS winner. That should be enough to put to rest the myth that she is hyped/overrated.
Evan86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #8
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

She's not overhyped in my view, because she is barely hyped at all. As for overrated, I don't know, she earned the points, but I'd like to see her against the top ten before I can really say whether she is overrated.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #9
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

She's overhyped but that's not saying much, Federer is overhyped and overrated and treated as some kind of God when he's not that good, even when he actually is the best ever If you get what I mean.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #10
country flag Soliloque
La nuit je mens

Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute

She's considered overrated on TF because of some fans. But anyone looking at the facts, the publicity she gets for a top 5 player holding 7 trophies, would understand that she's actually quite under the radar. RG is around the corner and I can say that almost nobody in the French crowd will have a clue about who she is.
Soliloque is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #11
country flag Little Dreamer
テニプリ

Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute

Close this thread

Little Dreamer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #12
country flag Shifty-Eyed Dog
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future

Hyped, my ass. Her fans are very fervent, but she was never touted as the next big thing by anybody that I can ever remember. Some people just can't give any credit if the player hasn't won a GS. But she has won 7 titles and is #5. Not hyped. We all know who has been over-hyped (hint: one is American, one Canadian).
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #13
country flag Tenis Srbija

Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, she is.
Also, she is multiple WTA singles champion, Top 5 player and billionaire.
And she is hot.

Twitter

Instagram
Tenis Srbija is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #14
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

If what little attention Halep is getting is already too much for some than I guess that they would be ok if tennis as a whole was about as popular as dwarf throwing. Halep is not overrated, she's underrated. If you are the fifth best player in the world you should be a superstar. There are football players who play for teams that are totally irrelevant even in their own countries that get more attention for scoring a goal against FC Nobody than Halep gets for a year of excellent tennis.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #15
country flag PIAoTvTeY

PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all PIAoTvTeY is a name known to all

Hard to say,but she does have a lot to prove to a lot of people