Is Sharapova's shoulder acting up? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 6th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #1
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Is Sharapova's shoulder acting up?

A drop in first-serve percentage from 68% in the first set to 42% in the second seems to indicate that something is up.
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #2
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Sharapova's shoulder acting up?

how was the third set....crucial holds....
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #3
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondan View Post
how was the third set....crucial holds....
I didn't watch the match so I',m just going by the stats. The third was back up to 62% but that only makes me wonder if she just pushed through some pain/discomfort.
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #4
country flag goldlion

goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold

Oh my god please stop being paranoid about her serve. She wouldn't have played when she's not healthy to be on court. Just her first serve % dropped didn't mean her shoulder is acting up. This observation feels like your new to the game. If she's hitting 20 DF in this match then I would have agreed.
goldlion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #5
country flag pov

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldlion View Post
Oh my god please stop being paranoid about her serve. She wouldn't have played when she's not healthy to be on court. Just her first serve % dropped didn't mean her shoulder is acting up. This observation feels like your new to the game. If she's hitting 20 DF in this match then I would have agreed.
Wow. Speechless. I posted this here instead of GM because I wanted to avoid crazy responses. Silly me. Anyone who thinks a drop like that in serve percentage after cruising through a set is normal really has no business questioning anyone's tennis acumen.

BTW It's "you're." "Your" is a possessive.
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #6
country flag meneer_hidayat

meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all

she is OK , i watch her live..
in 2nd set and early 3rd set she lost her concentration, and get it back to winning that match
meneer_hidayat is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #7
country flag msharafan

msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future

I am not sure I have to say from maria's body language today and play I was a bit suspicious. Hopefully it was just a bad day in the office and I'm just over analysing/worrying
2008 AUSTRALIAN OPEN CHAMPION
2012 FRENCH OPEN CHAMPION

Congrats Maria you proved so many haters and fans that gave up on you wrong enjoy all the success that comes to you as you deserve it!
msharafan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #8
country flag msharafan

msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future msharafan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by meneer_hidayat View Post
she is OK , i watch her live..
in 2nd set and early 3rd set she lost her concentration, and get it back to winning that match
That is good to know
2008 AUSTRALIAN OPEN CHAMPION
2012 FRENCH OPEN CHAMPION

Congrats Maria you proved so many haters and fans that gave up on you wrong enjoy all the success that comes to you as you deserve it!
msharafan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #9

meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all

you cant speculation what happen with her shoulder only from the stat,
its so unlogic.
unscientific
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #10
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

How many games was she broken in this match? I thought it was not many...
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #11
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

to me it looked like she was in pain or a lot of discomfort in the second set when her first serve percentage went down. the only reason she got it back up in the third set is cause she started using kick serves for her first services.
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #12

she broken 3 or 4 i forgot.
if maria felt something bad with her body, she must take medical treatment like in wimbledon 2013.
but she didnt..
so, stop making speculation unscientific just from stat.
just because her serve didnt well in 2nd set, it doesnt mean her shoulder got problem.
so many thing when player didnt serve well. in Maria case she's not focus.
Old May 6th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #13
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meneer_hidayat View Post
she broken 3 or 4 i forgot.
if maria felt something bad with her body, she must take medical treatment like in wimbledon 2013.
but she didnt..
so, stop making speculation unscientific just from stat.
just because her serve didnt well in 2nd set, it doesnt mean her shoulder got problem.
so many thing when player didnt serve well. in Maria case she's not focus.
yeah i was going to add at the end of my post that at the end of the day only maria knows how her shoulder is, etc, and there's not much point speculating about it.
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #14
country flag T496

T496 is a name known to all T496 is a name known to all T496 is a name known to all T496 is a name known to all T496 is a name known to all T496 is a name known to all T496 is a name known to all T496 is a name known to all T496 is a name known to all T496 is a name known to all T496 is a name known to all

If Maria's shoulder is problematic again there's no way she'll play through it at all this time so soon after a scare like last year's. Until she withdraws/retires we have to assume it's OK or we could be constantly paranoid. Especially when there aren't even any medical timeouts.

All that said it wouldn't surprise me if her shoulder was tired having gone from relatively minimal consistent matchplay at the start of the year to a few grueling 3-setters and deep runs lately. I'd be happy to see her tank, in a way, to Sam (who could do with the boost and will still have a huge deficit in the H2H), but it'll hurt her draw for RG and I do sort of love her clay winning streak against everyone but Serena..

Stupid Madrid...
T496 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #15
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

I refuse to blame the shoulder everytime Maria plays a bad match.
If her shoulder is to blame we probably won't find out for months to come, since Maria is hardly forthcoming with her injuries.

That being said. Her winning % on her first and second serve where both above 50% today, not to mention she was only broken twice, and through the entire match she kept her double faults down.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote