BOMBSHELL: Czink reportedly suing WTA for Birmingham incident - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 28th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #46
country flag Chris 84

Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BOMBSHELL: Czink reportedly suing WTA for Birmingham incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Actually that's exactly what seems to have happened, at least according to the English language article. Not sure about what impression the other (Hungarian) report makes.
yes, if what she says is accurate. in which case she should be suing the hospital for negligence, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
@ Chris 84 ^^: That's what concerns me the most: That there's a huge difference of what treatment one can expect depending on which hospital one chooses (or is allowed to use)! The treatment should basically be the same for every individual no matter what. Of course it's tragic what Melinda had to go through, and it's extremely tragic that a patient died on a operating table. But the ultimate tragedy is the difference in treatments (assuming there is a difference. I've no way of knowing, as I'm not in the UK).
i quite agree. everyone should have the same standard of care (and imo, private healthcare should be illegal. everyone should be entitled to equal healthcare). the sad fact in this world is that if you are rich enough to pay for something "better" then you'll get it, even when it is something utterly vital such as healthcare, education, food, etc.

my experiences of the NHS are generally positive, but certainly more can be done to improve things further.

Bibiane Schoofs Flavia Pennetta Anett Kontaveit Aga Radwanska Tara Moore Sorana Cirstea

MY TWITTER
https://twitter.com/ChrissieBhoy
Chris 84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 28th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #47
country flag Marlene

Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
erm, the NHS is good enough for the vast majority of people in britain, and the picture which she paints of conditions somewhat confuses me. medical insurance is not something which exists in the uk in the same way in which it exists in other nations and the NHS's standards are at least supposed to be the very best. in practice of course private facilities are often better as fewer people use them, etc, but it isn't like she was just thrown into some dump.

as for a case against the wta, i'd need to know more details, but i'd be very surprised if she had one. if she had a case based on her insurance, it would probably be against AETNA and if she suffered poor care in the hospital, then she has a case against the hospital.
The WTA has just about nada to do with any of this. First of all, she says she has a 'WTA health insurance' but there is no such thing. Most likely she has an AETNA insurance, which is endorsed by the WTA and offered to WTA players at a discounted rate. Second, according to both reports she was at the NHS hospital for 12 hours before she was operated on. That means one of two things; she either got there in due time and it was not an emergency-emergency situation, or the hospital was really super bad (in which case she should be suing the hospital, which she's not). Third, the thing she is bitching about is that nobody told her she could have gone to a different hospital (which she theorises would have ensured her better care) and that's really just another way of saying she didn't have an effing clue how her insurance worked. (Hint: call the number on your insurance card, wait for instructions). And it's not that I dislike her or anything… but it just seems so farfetched to blame the WTA for her own ignorance and/or the incompetence of her team.
Marlene is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #48
country flag Ryu

Ryu is a name known to all Ryu is a name known to all Ryu is a name known to all Ryu is a name known to all Ryu is a name known to all Ryu is a name known to all Ryu is a name known to all Ryu is a name known to all Ryu is a name known to all Ryu is a name known to all Ryu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
The WTA has just about nada to do with any of this. First of all, she says she has a 'WTA health insurance' but there is no such thing. Most likely she has an AETNA insurance, which is endorsed by the WTA and offered to WTA players at a discounted rate. Second, according to both reports she was at the NHS hospital for 12 hours before she was operated on. That means one of two things; she either got there in due time and it was not an emergency-emergency situation, or the hospital was really super bad (in which case she should be suing the hospital, which she's not). Third, the thing she is bitching about is that nobody told her she could have gone to a different hospital (which she theorises would have ensured her better care) and that's really just another way of saying she didn't have an effing clue how her insurance worked. (Hint: call the number on your insurance card, wait for instructions). And it's not that I dislike her or anything… but it just seems so farfetched to blame the WTA for her own ignorance and/or the incompetence of her team.
Ding ding ding. Right on the money, IMO.
Ryu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #49
country flag Chris 84

Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
exactly.

or at least that is how it looks on the very little information that we have.

Bibiane Schoofs Flavia Pennetta Anett Kontaveit Aga Radwanska Tara Moore Sorana Cirstea

MY TWITTER
https://twitter.com/ChrissieBhoy
Chris 84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #50
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Shit, blood and Pizza Hut. Weird thread.

I certainly hope everything turns out OK for her.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #51
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute

I'm struggling to see her angle with that...tbh yes it was a negligence from the WTA to not direct her to right hospital but it's also HER responsibility (and her team) to be sure that she's taken to the right place. Appendix are quite a tricky problem to detect, specially if you go and claim that it's a food poisoning. The real problem is that she waited for too long and they couldn't transfer her to a proper hospital. Also in the emergency, it was probably not very clear as of where to take her once she's in the ambulance. They probably sent her to the nearest hospital considering the emergency. Who knows how far was that private hospital (if there is any in the area) and what they could have done for her. I guess she could complain as of why they kept her in that NHS once the surgery was done, but I'm sure going there in the first place was probably the safest choice.

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #52
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The WTA has just about nada to do with any of this. First of all, she says she has a 'WTA health insurance' but there is no such thing. Most likely she has an AETNA insurance, which is endorsed by the WTA and offered to WTA players at a discounted rate.
That's a news report, not a court document. "AETNA insurance" is an insider jargon that is meaningless to the lay reader. The only entity known is WTA - ergo WTA insurance it is (just like in America they have Obamacare even tho the word "Obama" is nowhere to be found on any insurance card or any other actual healthcare paperwork.

Quote:
Second, according to both reports she was at the NHS hospital for 12 hours before she was operated on. That means one of two things; she either got there in due time and it was not an emergency-emergency situation, or the hospital was really super bad (in which case she should be suing the hospital, which she's not). Third, the thing she is bitching about is that nobody told her she could have gone to a different hospital (which she theorises would have ensured her better care) and that's really just another way of saying she didn't have an effing clue how her insurance worked. (Hint: call the number on your insurance card, wait for instructions). And it's not that I dislike her or anything… but it just seems so farfetched to blame the WTA for her own ignorance and/or the incompetence of her team.
Except that she was taken by an ambulance ordered by a doctor at the tournament or hotel wherever it was. That's an emergency in my book. Once the ambulance was called - they seemingly made an emergency decision to drive her to the nearest hospital. They made it an emergency, not she. The fact that she then had to wait long before actual operations is another issue: they pre treated her before the operation in order so that she could wait longer, i.e. they used medical tricks to delay the operation. Again that's their decision not hers.

Of course alternatively this doesn't have to end up in courts (WTA can cough up a few coins in an out of court settlement).
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #53
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's a news report, not a court document. "AETNA insurance" is an insider jargon that is meaningless to the lay reader. The only entity known is WTA - ergo WTA insurance it is (just like in America they have Obamacare even tho the word "Obama" is nowhere to be found on any insurance card or any other actual healthcare paperwork.

Except that she was taken by an ambulance ordered by a doctor at the tournament or hotel wherever it was. That's an emergency in my book. Once the ambulance was called - they seemingly made an emergency decision to drive her to the nearest hospital. They made it an emergency, not she. The fact that she then had to wait long before actual operations is another issue: they pre treated her before the operation in order so that she could wait longer, i.e. they used medical tricks to delay the operation. Again that's their decision not hers.

Of course alternatively this doesn't have to end up in courts (WTA can cough up a few coins in an out of court settlement).
The thing is it doesn't mean that the private hospital would have done anything different. I mean usually to have a surgery you have to have not eaten for a few hours, actually it's 12 hours...which is coincidentally???? the same time that she had to wait....I think she was misinformed about her "mistreatment" and she's just gonna look like a fool by trying to sue the WTA. The only thing she seems to be complaining about that is somewhat revelant is the state of the NHS since it was supposedly so atrocious to stay there....but then again it's her own comfort that she's complaining about. At the end of the day the hospital served its purpose and did a pretty good job since she's now healthy and back playing. I do understand that it's frustrating to pay thousands of dollars for an insurance for certain treatment that you hope to get but I doubt they guarantee a 4 stars hotel stay.

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 06:57 AM   #54
country flag Marlene

Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, Aetna insurance is not insider jargon. Aetna is a 150 year old company and one of the biggest health insurance providers in the US.
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #55
country flag PhilePhile

PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future

The WTA is not in the insurance business and the players are not WTA employees.

The assumption that private care is "better" can be unhealthy and very costly.
PhilePhile is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #56
country flag Marlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincey! View Post
I'm struggling to see her angle with that...tbh yes it was a negligence from the WTA to not direct her to right hospital but it's also HER responsibility (and her team) to be sure that she's taken to the right place. Appendix are quite a tricky problem to detect, specially if you go and claim that it's a food poisoning. The real problem is that she waited for too long and they couldn't transfer her to a proper hospital. Also in the emergency, it was probably not very clear as of where to take her once she's in the ambulance. They probably sent her to the nearest hospital considering the emergency. Who knows how far was that private hospital (if there is any in the area) and what they could have done for her. I guess she could complain as of why they kept her in that NHS once the surgery was done, but I'm sure going there in the first place was probably the safest choice.
Did she really end up at the "wrong" hospital, though? She found out after the fact that she could have gone to a private hospital instead of the NHS one, but are NHS hospitals not the default in the UK and supposedly the best? And how is it 'negligence' on the WTA's part? Like, did they call up Stacey and ask her to recommend a hospital in Birmingham!? Or is the WTA supposed to send staff to whatever place the players are staying in or between tournaments who can advice players on their hospital options based on whichever health insurance the players happen to have? (Hint: No. Call the number on your insurance card).

I also just noted this bit at the end of the article:

Quote:
... she spoke to a WTA supervisor and told them that she did not want to back out of Wimbledon, although "it was obvious that I should not play with such an injury. But if I can hit the ball twice, I can take the money for the first round and that would compensate us for our expenses."
Nice. She'll get her money back from the WTA by scamming a 1st round match at Wimbledon. She seems to be clueless about a lot of things.
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 08:03 AM   #57
country flag Panther24

Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute

Melinda

Gutted for her.

Hope they do justice for what she had to go through.
Panther24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #58
country flag nevetssllim
Stanning for Andi

nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Material World View Post
I wonder whether Messrs Bean and Clappy visited her in hospital.
Czink is one of Mr. Clappy's favourite players. He was sitting near me when she played Hsieh a few years ago and he was cheering for her after every point she won, and apparently he once gave Melinda a box of chocolates.

Sam Smith on Hlavackova
Quote:
"I will now call her LP Hlavackova - low percentage Hlavackova. I hope she doesn't drive a car the way she drives her groundstrokes!"
nevetssllim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #59
country flag Juju Nostalgique
Rest in peace Bally

Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute

The WTA should czink twice before giving players such a "strong is beautiful" experience!

Mel
Jamie Hampton & Danka Kovinić & Sam Crawford & SaiSai Zheng & Tita Tower Flower
Juju Nostalgique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote