The Italian Open Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 11th, 2003, 08:33 PM   #1
Serendy Willick

Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of
The Italian Open Thread

1 WILLIAMS SERENA USA WILLIAMS
SR MEDINA GARRIGUES ANABEL ESP vs Q
Q vs DECHY NATHALIE FRA
TULYAGANOVA IRODA UZB vs 14-COETZER AMANDA RSA

9-DOKIC JELENA YUG vs MARTINEZ CONCHITA ESP
WC-GAGLIARDI EMMANUELLE SUI vs Q
SERNA MAGUI ESP vs LIKHOVTSEVA ELENA RUS
7-HANTUCHOVA DANIELA SVK
---------------------------------------------------------
4-MAURESMO AMELIE FRA
SR-KRASNOROUTSKAYA LINA RUS vs Q
WC-PENNETTA FLAVIA ITA vs FERNANDEZ CLARISA ARG
Q vs 16-PISTOLESI ANNA ISR

10-SELES MONICA USA vs CASANOVA MYRIAM SUI
SR-PETROVA NADIA RUS vs WC-GARBIN TATHIANA ITA
STEVENSON ALEXANDRA USA vs Q
5-CAPRIATI JENNIFER USA
==================================================
6-RUBIN CHANDA USA
SCHNYDER PATTY SUI vs CHLADKOVA DENISA CZE
Q vs Q
FARINA ELIA SILVIA ITA vs 11-MALEEVA MAGDALENA BUL

13-SUGIYAMA AI JPN vs SUAREZ PAOLA ARG
SREBOTNIK KATARINA SLO vs Q
SCHETT BARBARA AUT vs WC-SERRA ZANETTI ANTONELLA ITA
3-HENIN-HARDENNE JUSTINE BEL
-------------------------------------------------------------------
8-MYSKINA ANASTASIA RUS
MATEVZIC MAJA SLO vs SCHIAVONE FRANCESCA ITA
MIKAELIAN MARIE-GAIANEHSUI vs KUZNETSOVA SVETLANA RUS
Q vs 12-DANIILIDOU ELENI GRE

15-SHAUGHNESSY MEGHANN USA vs GRANVILLE LAURA USA
Q vs GRANDE RITA ITA
RUANO PASCUAL VIRGINIA ESP vs Q
2-CLIJSTERS KIM BEL

Possible Matches leading up to the semis could be against Tulyaganova and Dechy, she will somehow most likely face either the slumping Jelena Dokic or the seriously slumping Daniella Hantucova. Should seeds hold up, she will most likely meet either Mauresmo or Capriati in the semis. I am soo pumped and pissed, I hope she is too. Lets fire up Serena and show the world that you are still number one!!
Serendy Willick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2003, 08:47 PM   #2
country flag Venus Forever
Team WTAworld

Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of
GO RENA!!

Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Venus Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #3
Chance
Keeper of Secrets

Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future
GOOOOO SERENA.

Serena is holder of all 4 Grand Slams- Rena is the undisputed no.1

Veelieve
Chance is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #4
Serendy Willick

Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of
Serena will meet Klara Koukolova in her first match tommarow. Serena beat Koukolova on indoor hardcourt at Fed Cup just a few weeks ago, so hopefully she knows a little bit of her game. Good Luck Serena.
Old May 13th, 2003, 02:57 PM   #5
country flag King Aaron
Team WTAworld
Mr. Try Too Hard

King Aaron has disabled reputation
Good luck Serena! Work the rust out for your later matches.
Old May 13th, 2003, 03:41 PM   #6
Rae Q.

Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point Rae Q. is an unknown quantity at this point
Go Serena! Show them you're still #1!
Rae Q. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #7
country flag Cariaoke
Team WTAworld

Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute
6-4 6-3 Serena swats away Koukalova

This is how it should be done... cuz this style is identical to none.

"I believe in being polite, you know. In life, the elevator goes both ways, up and down."
-- Roger Federer

like my av? want one like it?
Cariaoke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #8
country flag Cariaoke
Team WTAworld

Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute Cariaoke has a reputation beyond repute
Serena shrugs off slow start at Rome Masters

ROME (AFP) - Defending champion Serena Williams (news - web sites) said she was not unduly worried by her sluggish start at the Rome Masters.

Given a first round bye at the Foro Italico, Williams looked off the pace as she stuttered into the last 16 with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over unseeded Czech Klara Koukalova.

"It was my first match on European clay and I haven't had much time to practice," said the 21-year-old American, who currently holds all four of the Grand Slam titles - Australian, French, Wimbledon (news - web sites) and US.

"She struck the ball well and hit the line or the baseline a lot and gave me a few problems.

"It wasn't a very satisfying victory, but I'm not going to get too upset about it. Now I feel ready for the pace and it's good to get used to the slow ball."

Williams, whose win in Italy last year was the start of an exceptional 12 months for the world number one, admitted she needed no excuse to come to Rome.

"It's such a beautiful city, the people are friendly and the weather is always hot," she said. "I really had a good time here last year and have some wonderful memories.

"It's good to be back and hopefully it will bring me luck again."

Asked what her favourite sights in the Eternal City were, the fashion-conscious Williams replied: "Oh, you now, Dolce and Gabbana!"

"I believe in being polite, you know. In life, the elevator goes both ways, up and down."
-- Roger Federer

Old May 13th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #9
country flag Cariaoke
Team WTAworld

-- Roger Federer

Old May 14th, 2003, 04:04 PM   #10
Serendy Willick

Serena will now take on Nathalie Dechy, whom she smokes like a pack of cools on hardcourts, but expect a little more competitiveness since its clay. If Serena is on, she should have no problems getting to the quarterfinals. lets hope the rust is off and we see our girl play kick ass tennis.
Old May 15th, 2003, 12:12 PM   #11
Chance
Keeper of Secrets

Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future
Good luck Serena !!!!!!!

Veelieve
Chance is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 03:16 PM   #12
country flag King Aaron
Team WTAworld
Mr. Try Too Hard

King Aaron has disabled reputation
Good luck against Dechy Serena!
Old May 15th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #13
country flag Cariaoke
Team WTAworld

Go Serena!

-- Roger Federer

Old May 18th, 2003, 06:55 AM   #14
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
I have interviews!

S. WILLIAMS/K. Koukalova
6-4, 6-3

An interview with:

SERENA WILLIAMS

THE MODERATOR: First question for Serena, please.

Q. Were you satisfied, or did you think it would be easier? If you had any problems, what kind of problems did you have?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I was not satisfied. I didn't think it would be easier, I always expect a tough match out of my opponents, and I played her before. I don't know, what was the last point?

Q. If you had any particular problems.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I just had problems with the unforced errors. I think I made a little too many. It's not what I was practicing on. It just wasn't right at the moment.

Q. It was your first match on the European clay. Were you expecting something more difficult?

SERENA WILLIAMS: It was, that's comforting to know that it was my first match on the European clay. It makes me feel that, "Oh, well, next time I'll do better." I didn't have a chance to practice on the court at all, so maybe tomorrow I'll try to do a little practicing on the court as well. Just take my time, make sure I stay confident, not get too upset about it.

Q. In a sense, because she was striking the ball so well, did that perhaps give you a chance to get into a better rhythm than you might have done?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think so. I think that she was striking it well and very deep. Some of her balls were off the line, on the baseline. And that was a good practice for me as well, to see that, you know, the next match I'll be ready for the pace as well as the slow ball.

Q. What was your preparation for coming over to Europe?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, actually, I worked really hard. I went over to Bollettieri's IMG Academies in Bradenton, Florida. I was there for a week training on the clay, working with a lot of different guys, working hard. Then the week after I went back home to my side of Florida and I worked out again as well. Then I came here. And I played in the Fed Cup, so I've been practicing a lot, working hard.

Q. Do you prefer to practice with girls or men?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I've always practiced with guys, so I just am kind of used to practicing with them now. So I kind of sometimes prefer to practice with a guy just because I'm used to it.

Q. You still think you can beat the No. 200 in the world?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Beat the number...?

Q. 200 man in the world?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I never believed in that. I have no comment towards that.

Q. Do you have any special association with Rome? This is really where you got your big start to your year last year.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, especially on the clay court, it was tough for me to -- actually, I don't think I'd won anything on the clay before, or hadn't I? I don't know.

THE MODERATOR: No.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Geez... But I was close (laughing). But it was finally my big breakthrough. So it was great. I love it here. I had such a wonderful experience last year, and I'm hoping to repeat it again.

Q. How so?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I mean, not only on the court, but off the court. I just really enjoyed my time here. I was going around the city and seeing Roma and the shops. I just had a wonderful experience with all the foods. That was really great and all.

Q. The gelato?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I had it... (Shaking her head.) I'm not allowed to talk about that (laughter).

Q. The forehand get at breakpoint, third game, the second set, that was an exceptional shot. You don't practice that one, do you, or is that just natural?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I guess it's just natural. I'm pretty fast, a little strong, so I was just able to go over there and get that with no problems at all. Just was like...

Q. Before this breakthrough, did you have any particular problems with European clay? Was it a puzzle at first?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, actually, I prefer European clay over American clay; I don't know why. Never had problems. I was all right with it, just hadn't played enough tournaments on the clay to have won one, I don't think. So I was perfectly fine. I have no problems.

Q. Last week when you were practicing at home, did you hit with Venus? Was she feeling better?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I didn't hit with Venus. But she's feeling a little bit better than Warsaw.

Q. In seeing the sites in Rome last year, was there anything that made you say, "I've got to go see that again"?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Roberto Cavalli, Dolce & Gabbana, you know, the usual...(laughter).

Q. Compared to last year, how would you rank your form at this moment? Do you think you're better prepared or less prepared?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm very much very well prepared. It's just timing. And I think as each match goes on -- last year, I think I played a few more matches than at this point. So as each match goes on, I'll just get a little more comfortable.

Q. Talking about men's tennis, who is your favorite player with regards to tennis, and who is the one you like most physically?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I've always enjoyed the Americans Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras as players. I used to want to be like Pete. I'm a little far off, but, you know, I tried... Other than that, I don't know. I don't really -- I wouldn't be able to -- I don't really -- I don't know.

End of FastScripts….
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 06:56 AM   #15
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
S. WILLIAMS/N. Dechy
6-3, 6-0

An interview with:

SERENA WILLIAMS

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Serena, please.

Q. Do you feel like you're finding your game out there, Serena?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm feeling a little better about my game. Today I think I was able to do some things a little bit better - not what I would like - than what I did in the first match. Although, I think I did have a bit of a slow start in the beginning. But she played really well in the beginning, though, so I don't really blame it on the slow start.

Q. How do you see tomorrow's match?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, well, tomorrow I'm playing -- I think I'm going to have to make sure I get a lot of balls over the net, keep a lot of balls in play. Martinez does really well here. I think she may have won four times. I don't know, she brings out her best game here, it seems, in Rome. So I'm going to definitely be ready. I think she has a lot of confidence, so I need to go in there with a lot of confidence as well.

Q. How did you take advantage of your day off yesterday afternoon? What did you do?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I went to a few different shops. I wasn't able to make it to many because I think I stayed in the shops for too long, so it was unfortunate. But it's okay because, I mean, the dollar is down to the Euro, so it gives me a really good excuse now to shop in New York.

Q. Is it true that you design some clothes?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yes, I am. I'm getting started with my own line of fashion design, and it's going really well. Actually, I'm wearing a new, exciting design of mine to -- I'm not really into sportswear yet, I'm more or less doing things off the court like things you'd find -- just you would wear on the streets, you would wear every day, not necessarily warm-ups and sportswear. Because my love is couture and pret-a-porter, and things of that nature, evening gowns. So I love to do these things. Yes, it is true and I'm really excited about it.

Q. (Inaudible) Who is the stylist you like more? What did you talk about?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I was able to meet her daughter. She was really, really sweet and very nice. She had a lot of interesting designs. It's good to see -- Laura Biagiotti I'm talking about. It's good to see different designers and different lines. Some shops, I went in to just to get the booklet - what is it - just to get the catalog to see what they're making for the season. That way, it can inspire me in some of my designs. I was able to get her catalog as well. It was fun and different and, I don't know. I never have a favorite designer because it's so many out there that I really enjoy.

Q. Is there anything in your game you're working on right now? Looked like you were trying to come to the net a bit there in the first set.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, throughout the match. It's just something I've been working on for a number of years. So, yeah, it comes in every now and then but not too often.

Q. The clothes you design, is it just you, or are you helped by your family, your sister, your mother?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, Venus is into more interior designing, but she also went to school for fashion as well. I think eventually she would want to join my efforts into doing more of a fashion line, fashion design, and maybe we'll just build a big fashion house with me doing the fashion line and she does the interior design. My mom, I don't know, she always offers really good ideas and she always wears fun clothes. I often, believe it or not, get some different ideas of materials to use. But I really enjoy it. I really enjoy making the clothes and putting them on. It doesn't always work out; it doesn't always look good. But you have to take a step back in order to go forward sometimes.

End of FastScripts….
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote