Why can't Russian girls play normal schedules? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 8th, 2003, 01:47 AM   #1
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
Why can't Russian girls play normal schedules?

Lena D. was playing 7 or 8 weeks in a row (starting in Mexico)... until she got injured.

Vera Z. commited to play 4 weeks in a row (Bol, Berlin, Rome, Strasbourg) and then to play RG.

Lena L. is playing every tournament in the schedule and I don't even talk about Tat Panova.

My problem with that is their priorities seem to be concentrated on smaller tournaments. It's certainly great to go far in Berlin, Rome and Strasbourg, but if it is at expense of the Slam, why do it?
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2003, 02:03 AM   #2
Leena

Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point
To make more money, I guess...

I do have to say that Lena Bovina is an exception to the Russian rule though... I wish she'd play more. She's only played low-20's the past 2 years... and even though she's been slightly injured this year, and sick the past few weeks, Lena's barely playing.
Leena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 02:27 AM   #3
Jordan.

Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road
Vera pulled out of Rome supposedly.
Jordan. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:16 AM   #4
country flag Dava

Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future
Its what a commentator would call Russian Mentality, ie. make as much money as possible!
ALSO STARRING
THE GIRLS ON TOUR!

ASAGOE~BOVINA~JANKOVIC~MOLIK
MYSKINA~SCHNYDER~ZVONAREVA

THE YOUNG GUNS

BACSINSZKY~CHAKVATADZE~IVANOVIC
JACKSON~KIRILENKO~LINETSKAYA
MAKAROVA~MIRZA

THE COMEBACK KIDS

BEYGELZIMER~DOKIC~HARKLEROAD
SPREM~VAKULENKO

Dava is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #5
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
glad to hear that about Vera! smart decision
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #6
country flag AKTW

AKTW is a splendid one to behold AKTW is a splendid one to behold AKTW is a splendid one to behold AKTW is a splendid one to behold AKTW is a splendid one to behold AKTW is a splendid one to behold AKTW is a splendid one to behold AKTW is a splendid one to behold AKTW is a splendid one to behold AKTW is a splendid one to behold AKTW is a splendid one to behold
If just because of money,it's not worthwhile to play so much.
They should realise the importance of rest!
AKTW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:28 AM   #7
country flag vaiva

vaiva has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dava_russianrule
Its what a commentator would call Russian Mentality, ie. make as much money as possible!
Making as much money as possible?

It's what I would call stereotype thinking
vaiva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:53 AM   #8
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
There schedules are horrendous! As are Kafelnikov's and Safin's. Some of their injuries have certainly been caused by over playing.

TBE, the image of Russian tennis players playing for money comes from the perception of Yevgeny Kafelnikov playing for money with the over crowded tournament schedule he has played in his career. I'm sure there are many players who play mainly for money. Not just the Russians.

The Russian girls don't really believe they can become great tennis champions like the American players. So they try to play as many tournaments as possible to make as much money as possible. It makes sense in a way. But Dementieva has been artound long enough and has had alot of injuries. She should know better than to play so many weeks in a row. But she still does it anyway.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:37 PM   #9
country flag vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cat
There schedules are horrendous! As are Kafelnikov's and Safin's. Some of their injuries have certainly been caused by over playing.
The cat, are you sure you know what you're talking about? Safin does not have a horrendous schedule. Do you know how many tournaments he has played this year? Not forgetting that he's been injured for half of the season. He finished last year playing more tournaments and he did that to make sure he made it to the Masters Cup because of poor results in the middle of the season.

Quote:
TBE, the image of Russian tennis players playing for money comes from the perception of Yevgeny Kafelnikov playing for money with the over crowded tournament schedule he has played in his career.
This is why I called it stereotype thinking. Russian girls are not Kafelnikov and I'm sure each of them has set and pursuits different goals as they are on different stages of their careers. You cannot bulk them together and draw such generalised statements.

Quote:
The Russian girls don't really believe they can become great tennis champions like the American players.
Prove it to me.

And least, but not last, please do not forget to add a little "Mrs" when you reply to me. I know me and Eggy are a lovely couple but we still have individual views about tennis and tennis girls
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:12 AM   #10
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Yes Mrs. TBE, I know what I'm talking about. Safin is playing less this year becaise he has been injured alot.

And I don't want to hear about the Masters. The Masters isn't the end all in men's tennis. Years from now people will remember who won the grand slams, not the Masters, which is just another tournament to me.

Proving that the Russians girls don't believe they can become tennis champions is easy. There aren't any. That was easy! And tennis is still a relatively new sport in Russia, compared to Hockey and Figure Skating. Once Russia starts to produce top female tennis players that can compete at the majors, then they will be ready to make the jump from just another tennis country to an elite tennis country. I hope it happens soon. But I wouldn't bet on it.

I hope that explains things, Mrs. TBE!
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

Old May 9th, 2003, 12:19 AM   #11
Leena

Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
And least, but not last, please do not forget to add a little "Mrs" when you reply to me. I know me and Eggy are a lovely couple but we still have individual views about tennis and tennis girls
I thought you were the same person... you both put down the peons who know so little about the game.
Leena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:00 AM   #12
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
I think this is the case when it is pretty normal..

Lena D. was looking for her confidence, for breakthrough. And she planned to rest after AI, but Bovina and Panova let her down and made her play FC singles. After that she immediately cancelled Bol and had a week off. I do not think her schedule a week off is in any relation to her schedule.

Likhovtseva and Panova are professional players with very little endorsments, so they are playing for money, and they rarely go deep into tournaments.

Vera, if she really canceled Rome, is laso OK..

I think it is saner than ever..

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:05 AM   #13
country flag tenn_ace

Here is a list in terms of # of played tournaments (top 100 in the Race to LA)

last column is the average points per tournament

all data does not include Berlin
Attached Files
File Type: doc Doc1.doc (23.5 KB, 11 views)
Old May 9th, 2003, 09:29 AM   #14
country flag vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cat
Yes Mrs. TBE, I know what I'm talking about. Safin is playing less this year becaise he has been injured alot.
Not only. Have you seen his provisional schedule before the injuries? And to compare his schedule with Kafelnikov's is an atrocious thing to do. A hint - are you considering doubles as well when you put Safin and YK in the same bag?

Quote:
And I don't want to hear about the Masters. The Masters isn't the end all in men's tennis. Years from now people will remember who won the grand slams, not the Masters, which is just another tournament to me.
No comments

Quote:
Proving that the Russians girls don't believe they can become tennis champions is easy. There aren't any.
Are you pulling my leg, the cat? I cannot believe you're being serious here.

Then who is a champion in your mind? And explain to me how can you beat three top 10 players en route to your maiden tour title without this belief? Otherwise, following your logic, Aliona's title should be called a fluke, shouldn't it?
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:46 PM   #15
the cat

Calm down Mrs. Eggy. Or should I say Sharky? Da! I have figured out who you really are.

I did not consider doubles with Safin's schedule. You got me there! I'm kind of pulling your leg, Mrs. Eggy(Sharky). But my comment about real tennis champions means those who have won grand slam championships. And I hope a Russian woman wins a grand slam singles title someday. That would be wonderful! And I hope Elena Dementieva's maiden WTA title as you call it, isn't a fluke. Elena had a fine week. But I want to someday see a Russian woman a big time tennis champion like Jennifer Capriati or Mary Pierce. I'm not asking them to become the Williams sisters or Martina Hingis. But one of the Russians should be able to do what Mary Pierce has done. And that's win 2 grand slam titles. I think Dementieva can do it becausee she is tall, fast and an awesome physical specimen! I'm talking athletically speaking of course. Elena just needs to develope her mental toughness and start to believe that she is special. Then she will have the opprtunity to become a top 5 player.