How good is Ivanovic on clay? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 27th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #1
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute
How good is Ivanovic on clay?

Saw some good stuff from her next week, but how does it compare to how well she was playing in 2005 - 2008?
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 27th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #2
country flag DefyingGravity

DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How good is Ivanovic on clay?

Not even close. The difference between young Ana and the current one is that she had a lot more weight of shot, because she had a lot more weight as well. The epitome of her clay court peformances, 2007 and 2008, she was so much more aggressive. Now, there are sparks where she is being aggressive, but she's playing more passively on clay than she used too, which doesn't make sense.

The way her stroke production is, it's begging for her to use the clay's high bounce to TEE OFF on these shots. Now, today, there was some brilliance from her, but you can see that she's lost some of the power.

Sometimes good clay play ISN'T about topspin or good defense.
Seles (9), Clijsters (4), Davenport (3), Testud
DefyingGravity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #3
country flag Daniel535

Daniel535 is a name known to all Daniel535 is a name known to all Daniel535 is a name known to all Daniel535 is a name known to all Daniel535 is a name known to all Daniel535 is a name known to all Daniel535 is a name known to all Daniel535 is a name known to all Daniel535 is a name known to all Daniel535 is a name known to all Daniel535 is a name known to all

she has lost a lot of weight but yeah i see the same thing, she has lost power. She should gain back 10 pounds and still would look good and feel good
Daniel535 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #4
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute

not as good as maria sharapova
malarkist is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #5
country flag Cp6uja

Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute

Hers forehand and serve back to 2007-2008 is way more powerful shots, mentally she is also stronger in that period, but on other hand hers movement, return, backhand and net game are better now.

With todays game, if there not be some bad day collapse, she will won Roland Garros in 2010 and 2011, but in meantime clay become Sharapova's favorite surface, and last season, right from nowhere, Serena played hers by far best claycourt tennis, so it will be interesting to see what will happen this season on red clay.

AMAZING BELGRADE MIRACLE: In just three years (2008-2011) 5 different players born in same city reach world #1 in rankings and several GS titles and finals (WTA singles: Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, ATP singles: Novak Djokovic, ATP doubles: Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor... with notable performances of Bojana Jovanovski, Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki which is also all three born in Belgrade)

Last edited by Cp6uja : Apr 27th, 2014 at 03:28 PM.
Cp6uja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #6
country flag fouc

fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute

For starters, peak Ana's forehand was 10/10
fouc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #7
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity View Post
Not even close. The difference between young Ana and the current one is that she had a lot more weight of shot, because she had a lot more weight as well. The epitome of her clay court peformances, 2007 and 2008, she was so much more aggressive. Now, there are sparks where she is being aggressive, but she's playing more passively on clay than she used too, which doesn't make sense.

The way her stroke production is, it's begging for her to use the clay's high bounce to TEE OFF on these shots. Now, today, there was some brilliance from her, but you can see that she's lost some of the power.

Sometimes good clay play ISN'T about topspin or good defense.
In 2007/2008, Ana's FH was one of the premier weapons on the tour primarily because of the weight of that shot. I've not really been following her game as closely as I have this past week, but she looks to be hitting it well if not as potent and dominating as she used to. But she looks like she's moving better, which I think is one of the most undervalued trait in this current generation.

But just talking about Ana's clay potential at the moment, I'm curious to see how she's going to parlay her good showing in Stuttgart to the rest of the season. The most worrying thing about this loss to Maria is how deflated she looked towards the end of the match. It didn't look like she was giving herself much a chance as soon as Maria got on top of the points. I have to say that her 2007 and 2008 form is good enough to beat anyone currently playing on clay, and it would be nice to see her rediscover that.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #8
country flag Hartson

Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute

Her forehand is good. No shame to lose due to tiredeness (she played for her country last week end).
Sharapova was lucky and her sponsor Porsche helped her scheduling yesterday's match of Ana too late
Hartson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #9
country flag _Cell-chuk

_Cell-chuk is a splendid one to behold _Cell-chuk is a splendid one to behold _Cell-chuk is a splendid one to behold _Cell-chuk is a splendid one to behold _Cell-chuk is a splendid one to behold _Cell-chuk is a splendid one to behold _Cell-chuk is a splendid one to behold _Cell-chuk is a splendid one to behold _Cell-chuk is a splendid one to behold _Cell-chuk is a splendid one to behold _Cell-chuk is a splendid one to behold

She only looks good when she has a good draw and is kind of in a good form when the rest of the top players are struggling.

I want to see VIP play the likes of Serena, Li, Radwanska, Cibulkova as well as Errani, Suarez before assessing her form.
_Cell-chuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #10
country flag $uricate

$uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute

In 2008 she lost to Pironkova.

PopCon 2013.
$uricate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #11
country flag TheEmpress

TheEmpress is a splendid one to behold TheEmpress is a splendid one to behold TheEmpress is a splendid one to behold TheEmpress is a splendid one to behold TheEmpress is a splendid one to behold TheEmpress is a splendid one to behold TheEmpress is a splendid one to behold TheEmpress is a splendid one to behold TheEmpress is a splendid one to behold TheEmpress is a splendid one to behold TheEmpress is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp6uja View Post
Hers forehand and serve back to 2007-2008 is way more powerful shots, mentally she is also stronger in that period, but on other hand hers movement, return, backhand and net game are better now.

With todays game, if there not be some bad day collapse, she will won Roland Garros in 2010 and 2011, but in meantime clay become Sharapova's favorite surface, and last season, right from nowhere, Serena played hers by far best claycourt tennis, so it will be interesting to see what will happen this season on red clay.
Ana should be a five time grand slam winner by now tbh.
Maria Kirilenko
TheEmpress is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #12
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

What you can't ignore is that Ivanovic has an opponent. And Maria is worlds better on clay these days than in 2007 when it was a surprise she made it to the SF. Ana's backhand is also better nowadays.

The biggest difference is mental. Ana used to smile in the middle of points in big matches, and it was very free-flowing. She thinks too much these days. She could work on her conditioning and add some mass. She was certainly going for her shots today though, but Maria has always been better from the back of the court due to her ability to dictate and finish points off either wing. Ana needs to get to net more, methinks. When she stands halfway to the service line to return serve (which is a huge improvement since 2008), she should follow it to net every time.
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #13
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Cell-chuk View Post
She only looks good when she has a good draw and is kind of in a good form when the rest of the top players are struggling.

I want to see VIP play the likes of Serena, Li, Radwanska, Cibulkova as well as Errani, Suarez before assessing her form.
But she beat treeing Goerges, Kuznetsova, and Jankovic.

I don't think she'd struggle with Radwanska, Errani, or Suarez.... Li or Cibulkova would be interesting.
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #14
country flag shap_half

Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15 View Post
But she beat treeing Goerges, Kuznetsova, and Jankovic.

I don't think she'd struggle with Radwanska, Errani, or Suarez.... Li or Cibulkova would be interesting.
I agree. I definitely think that Ana had a great week beating who she did. That Kuznetsova match could have easily gone the other way.

Hopefully Ana is in an upswing, because there are definitely improvements in her game, namely in her movement and that backhand. But her FH is not nearly as powerful as it once was. And it really does come down to confidence. Her fall was long, painful and horrifying to behold. And that was nearly 6 years ago. The fact that she is just now showing glimpses of what could have been is not necessarily an easy demon to exorcize.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #15
country flag Miracle Worker

Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute

Good enough to beat Jelena
Kimiko Date Krumm, Tomas Berdych, Michail Youzhny, Daniel Brands
Elena Dementieva, Julia Cohen, Anna Chakvetadze
Miracle Worker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote