USTA Defends Mary Joe Fernandez - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:57 PM   #1
eshell

eshell has disabled reputation
USTA Defends Mary Joe Fernandez

She's Clean

LONDON (Reuters) -- Tennis chiefs leapt to the defense of Mary Joe Fernandez on Tuesday, saying any doubt over the Olympic medalist's honesty was "outrageous."

The United States Tennis Association (USTA) made the statement after the former player was named in allegations of a drugs cover-up by the United States Olympic Committee dating back to the 1988 Seoul Olympic Games.

Documents released last week suggested that 19 Olympic medalists -- including Fernandez -- failed drugs tests between 1988 and 2000 but were allowed to continue competing at top level.

Multiple gold medalist Carl Lewis was also named in the papers released by Wade Exum, the USOC's director for drug control between 1991 and 2000.

Exum's claims -- dismissed by the USOC as groundless -- have prompted leading Olympic athletes, coaches and officials to call for an open investigation.

"Mary Joe Fernandez is America's most decorated tennis Olympian who represents every American and Olympic ideal," said USTA chairman and president Alan Schwartz.

"For her to be recognized as anything but a person of the utmost honesty, integrity and of the highest ethical standard is outrageous."

Fernandez won the bronze in the women's singles in Barcelona in 1996 and was a gold medalist in the women's doubles that year and four years later in Atlanta.

"Mary Joe had a cold while playing at the Miami tournament in 1992 -- five months before the Olympic Games -- and took over-the-counter Sudafed, an accepted remedy at the time under the International Tennis Federation (ITF) anti-doping rules," Schwartz said in a statement.

"Mary Joe has the full support, confidence and admiration of the USTA and we will continue to regard her as one of the finest ambassadors for our sport and for Olympic tennis.

"As the national governing body for tennis in the United States, the USTA takes all USOC and IOC requirements and obligations, including drug compliance issues, very seriously."

Exum's claims were to form part of a lawsuit against the USOC for racial discrimination and wrongful dismissal, the USOC said. The case was dismissed in court through lack of evidence.

His documents identified more than 100 athletes.

USOC spokesman Darryl Seibel has said the organization sees no reason for an audit or review, and that there was no evidence that any of the cases were mishandled.

He added that the new U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) were formed in 2000 because of the same problems revealed in the documents.

I'm not sure if this has been posted.
Advertisement

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:00 PM   #2
venusfan

venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of
I always knew Mary took drugs
"I told her, `You don't want to get into a hitting battle with Sharapova, because it would be uneven for Sharapova, because Sharapova only has one good side and that's her backhand,"'. "`You don't want to get into that for the simple reason you would win. So try to hit some balls to her strong side, to her backhand, and that would help you with your match for tomorrow

Sir Richard Williams
venusfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:02 PM   #3
country flag Messenger

Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice
She wouldn't knowingly cheat.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:03 PM   #4
country flag Messenger

Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by venusfan
I always knew Mary took drugs
Yes but there's nothing wrong with Creatine. After all, it did help her win the French.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:10 PM   #5
Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute
ESPN now should fire her! I hope this gives those boys the incentive to do it!
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. "Cree Native American Prophecy"
Dawn Marie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:12 PM   #6
country flag MarcusRock

MarcusRock is just really nice MarcusRock is just really nice MarcusRock is just really nice MarcusRock is just really nice MarcusRock is just really nice MarcusRock is just really nice MarcusRock is just really nice MarcusRock is just really nice MarcusRock is just really nice MarcusRock is just really nice MarcusRock is just really nice
Does THIS look like a drug taker? Come on now.

"n I am more of a retard, yes." - gogomaggie
"she has a face of a cereal killer" - Naldo, on Serena Williams
Every post you make : Every dumb mistake : I'll be watching you

Last edited by MarcusRock : Apr 22nd, 2003 at 06:51 PM.
MarcusRock is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:16 PM   #7
country flag Spirit
Women's locker room towel-guy

Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of
LOL! Yes, that's Mary-Joe, waiting on the street corner for her supplier to show up.

What's that woman next to her doing, choking herself?
Spirit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:17 PM   #8
country flag Spirit
Women's locker room towel-guy

Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of Spirit has much to be proud of
That photo changed while I was typing my message!!! She was choking herself in the first one.

You're tricky, MR.
Spirit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:18 PM   #9
Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute
It looks like she is in the process of making a deal.. Lmao!
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. "Cree Native American Prophecy"
Dawn Marie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:23 PM   #10
G-Ha

G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Marie
ESPN now should fire her! I hope this gives those boys the incentive to do it!
I wasn't aware that ESPN had a list of banned substances for broadcasters that Mary Joe violated. Yeah, I guess that Sudafed could give her extra energy so that she beats Pam to the microphone thus giving her an unfair advantage. LMAO.
G-Ha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:27 PM   #11
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down

Another cover up. Too bad Mary Jo was doping. Johnny Mac was doping also, and they tried to cover that up also. The USTA should be ashamed of themselves.
harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:29 PM   #12
country flag griffin
double-dog daredevil

griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messenger
Yes but there's nothing wrong with Creatine. After all, it did help her win the French.
Mary PIERCE to Creatine - MJ took cold medicine (one that was NOT against the ITF's rules at the time). Jeeziz, get your Mary's straight.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:32 PM   #13
country flag Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
Mary PIERCE to Creatine - MJ took cold medicine (one that was NOT against the ITF's rules at the time). Jeeziz, get your Mary's straight.
Oh but venusfan was referring to Mary Pierce wasn't he?

*innocent*
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:33 PM   #14
Anna Kournikova

Anna Kournikova is just really nice Anna Kournikova is just really nice Anna Kournikova is just really nice Anna Kournikova is just really nice Anna Kournikova is just really nice Anna Kournikova is just really nice Anna Kournikova is just really nice Anna Kournikova is just really nice Anna Kournikova is just really nice Anna Kournikova is just really nice Anna Kournikova is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Ha
I wasn't aware that ESPN had a list of banned substances for broadcasters that Mary Joe violated. Yeah, I guess that Sudafed could give her extra energy so that she beats Pam to the microphone thus giving her an unfair advantage. LMAO.
If any commentator is on drugs is Pam. Or if she isn't then she should be on them. A few steroids might make her voice deeper and less annoying. Plus she already looks like a guy... a little bit more of testosterone in her body and she'll be 95% of the way there!

Anna Kournikova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:38 PM   #15
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messenger
LOL .
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote