Who will be the next Sugiyama and Dementieva? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:07 PM   #1
country flag apoet29

apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of
Who will be the next Sugiyama and Dementieva?

While the usual suspects have won big titles this year (Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Lindsay Davenport, Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters), two players outside of the top 10 have won two big tier 2 titles this year: Ai Sugiyama (Scottsdale) and Elena Dementieva (Amelia Island). Both players took out seeded players ranked above them: Sugiyama beat Clijsters and Davenport and Dementieva beat Hantuchova, Henin-Hardenne and Davenport. These were great wins for tournaments that did not contain a Williams sister.

My question is: who will be the next player to win a tournament (tier 2 or higher) as either their first tournament win in a while (i.e. Sugiyama) or their first tournament win (i.e. Dementieva)?

My picks:
First tournament win:
Kournikova-hardcourt
Stevenson-indoor court

First tournament win in a while:
Capriati-clay
Mauresmo-clay
Dokic-grass

First grand slam win:
Clijsters-Roland Garros

First grand slam win in a while:
V. Williams-Wimbledon

Last edited by apoet29 : Apr 21st, 2003 at 05:17 PM.
apoet29 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:09 PM   #2
country flag Dava

Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future
I think the question is unanswerable, becuase those two were probably the last people I thought would take titles, but they did!
ALSO STARRING
THE GIRLS ON TOUR!

ASAGOE~BOVINA~JANKOVIC~MOLIK
MYSKINA~SCHNYDER~ZVONAREVA

THE YOUNG GUNS

BACSINSZKY~CHAKVATADZE~IVANOVIC
JACKSON~KIRILENKO~LINETSKAYA
MAKAROVA~MIRZA

THE COMEBACK KIDS

BEYGELZIMER~DOKIC~HARKLEROAD
SPREM~VAKULENKO

Dava is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:33 PM   #3
country flag vs1

vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold vs1 is a splendid one to behold
I agree with Dava, but here are my predictions (they are probably more based on hope than anything else! )

First Tournament Win:
Ashley Harkleroad
Vera Zvonareva
stephanie Cohen-Aloro
Yoon-Jeong Cho

Here comes the sun

It's alright

You can come on out

SERENA WILLIAMS - 2005 AUSTRALIAN OPEN CHAMPION!!!

OFFICIAL BISHOP OF THE ROYAL COURT!

Andy_ & I are Zelda's Guys of the Decade!!!
vs1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:34 PM   #4
country flag apoet29

apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by dava_russianrule
I think the question is unanswerable, becuase those two were probably the last people I thought would take titles, but they did!
I disagree (respectfully of course). I think Dementieva's and Sugiyama's wins prove that any player can win on any given day. The top seeds are never truly invicible and wins by Sugiyama and Dementieva prove that fact.
apoet29 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:44 PM   #5
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute
First Tournaments:

Vera Zvonerava - basically any surface

First Grand Slam

Justine Henin-Hardenne - Roland Garros AND Wimbledon

First Win a While

Jennifer Capriati - American hardcourts

First Grand Slam in a While

Lindsay Davenport - US Open
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 11:50 PM   #6
country flag DEETHELICK

DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think Sugiyama and Elena can be compared.

Elena has always been considered a hot prospect and actually has the power and speed to hang with the big guns.

Sugiyama had to rely on some off days from both Lindsay and Kim (no offence)

I think Zvonereva might just do it
DEETHELICK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 02:42 AM   #7
PatM04

PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future
First tournament win: Samantha Reeves in Bol in a couple of weeks!
PatM04 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:01 PM   #8
country flag Happy Guy

Happy Guy has much to be proud of Happy Guy has much to be proud of Happy Guy has much to be proud of Happy Guy has much to be proud of Happy Guy has much to be proud of Happy Guy has much to be proud of Happy Guy has much to be proud of Happy Guy has much to be proud of Happy Guy has much to be proud of Happy Guy has much to be proud of Happy Guy has much to be proud of
Well I think the next Sugiyama and Dementieva maybe just Dementieva again. I don't agree absolutely that any player when they are on can beat everyone even the top-ranked Serena since one's maximum output may not even be comparable with an off-day of Serena or other top ten players(no offence, but sorry if it's really offensive).

Elena has all the weapons less the serve, which is really awful when I had a glimpse on CNN sports news. But once her opponent can't kill the ball directly, her disadvantage is completely removed since she is capable of dictating the pace or to change the pace dominated by her opponent. Not all players can beat anyone is also due to the reason that they may not possess the weapons like Alyona does.

In addition, her confidence is boosted a lot after this tournament and her mental toughness which brought her to success in 2000 is back as well. But we all can't neglect the fact that she still needs to prove herself as a consistent player, so when she enters against Lindsay and Justine (may not Daniela) she is still the underdog. So I don't want to place her among the elites again yet so if any player should complete the feat of Sugiyama and Dementieva and the one who has the greatest chance is Elena again!

Well I think she can win maybe a couple more tournaments this year, but not as prestigious, like s'-Hertogenbosch and Quebec City.

ELENA DEMENTIEVA MARTINA HINGIS JENNIFER CAPRIATI LI NA PENG SHUAI ZHENG JIE MARIA KIRILENKO ALIZE CORNET
Happy Guy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:05 PM   #9
country flag Messenger

Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice Messenger is just really nice
I think Sugiyama can definately be compared to Likhovtseva (maybe it's because I first took notice of them at the 2000 AO). Anyway, it's about time Likhovtseva won a tier III - V title.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:24 PM   #10
country flag CJ07

CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Guy
Well I think the next Sugiyama and Dementieva maybe just Dementieva again. I don't agree absolutely that any player when they are on can beat everyone even the top-ranked Serena since one's maximum output may not even be comparable with an off-day of Serena or other top ten players(no offence, but sorry if it's really offensive).

Elena has all the weapons less the serve, which is really awful when I had a glimpse on CNN sports news. But once her opponent can't kill the ball directly, her disadvantage is completely removed since she is capable of dictating the pace or to change the pace dominated by her opponent. Not all players can beat anyone is also due to the reason that they may not possess the weapons like Alyona does.

In addition, her confidence is boosted a lot after this tournament and her mental toughness which brought her to success in 2000 is back as well. But we all can't neglect the fact that she still needs to prove herself as a consistent player, so when she enters against Lindsay and Justine (may not Daniela) she is still the underdog. So I don't want to place her among the elites again yet so if any player should complete the feat of Sugiyama and Dementieva and the one who has the greatest chance is Elena again!

Well I think she can win maybe a couple more tournaments this year, but not as prestigious, like s'-Hertogenbosch and Quebec City.
I wouldnt be suprised if that happened either
but to answer your question, Zvonareva i think
CJ07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:46 PM   #11
country flag Harju.
Ferosh Warrior ♥

Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute
Zvonareva !!

Harju. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:14 PM   #12
country flag treufreund

treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute
Let's not slag AI! She has been #1 in doubles and won more than one title. She has a very good career and has a ton of talents on the court with quick feet, hands and good net play. Her game is DIFFERENT from Elena but not necessarily any less effective. with both of them it is a matter of how 'ON' they are.
treufreund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote