Will Alex be the next player to win her first title? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #1
TeeRexx

TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice
Will Alex be the next player to win her first title?

With Dementieva winning her first title in a stunning upset of Davenport, one would wonder if this event will inspire Alex Stevenson to go out and get her first title as well.

Alex has the basic necessay skills to win a title and has been in a WTA tour final as well. The big question is does Alex have the mental toughness to get a title.

I would like for this event to happen to Alex, but somehow I feel that Dementieva will win additional titles before Alex accomplishes this goal.

I wonder if Elena's win makes that OTHER famous Russian tennis player/model feel a little bit left out?
TeeRexx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #2
country flag Dava

Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future
I hope that Vera or Anna are the next to swipe the 0 off thier titles.
ALSO STARRING
THE GIRLS ON TOUR!

ASAGOE~BOVINA~JANKOVIC~MOLIK
MYSKINA~SCHNYDER~ZVONAREVA

THE YOUNG GUNS

BACSINSZKY~CHAKVATADZE~IVANOVIC
JACKSON~KIRILENKO~LINETSKAYA
MAKAROVA~MIRZA

THE COMEBACK KIDS

BEYGELZIMER~DOKIC~HARKLEROAD
SPREM~VAKULENKO

Dava is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 09:49 PM   #3
country flag gmak

gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute
vera zvonareva will be the next one
Dementieva Clijsters Safina Novotna Davenport Seles Pierce Mauresmo Bovina Vaidisova Golovin Spirlea Farina Likhovtseva Monami Halard Rubin Bedanova Tulyaganova Maleeva Zvereva Sabatini
gmak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 09:50 PM   #4
aisha

aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute
I doubt Alex will be the next one. Nice pipe dream though.

Kuzy/Vika/Sharacoco?!?

clay season will ALWAYS be the speed bump in front of the grass season.

Tennis without Serena is like cornflake without the milk!
aisha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #5
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRexx
With Dementieva winning her first title in a stunning upset of Davenport, one would wonder if this event will inspire Alex Stevenson to go out and get her first title as well.

Alex has the basic necessay skills to win a title and has been in a WTA tour final as well. The big question is does Alex have the mental toughness to get a title.

I would like for this event to happen to Alex, but somehow I feel that Dementieva will win additional titles before Alex accomplishes this goal.
The problem for Alex is *surface*. Note, that Myskina won her first title on clay, Dementieva did as well, and so did Kusnetsova, Safina and Bovina. Ring the bell? Upcoming players has very little chance to win the first title on grass, and even less on US hardcourts ( Hantuchova was an exception, but that IW *was* an exception - a tournament without Williams,Capriati, and Davenport ). European indoor tournaments are also very competitive. That leavs us with clay as perfect ground for a breakthrough. And Stevenson is not good on clay. Meaning, what exactly would you expect her to win? She might have a shot at Birmingham or S'Hertogensbosh, but other than that, I don't see her even having a shot at it before the minor after-US Open hardcourt events. Because she is no good on clay.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #6
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
Hopefully. Alex is very talented.

BTW what a great year this is starting to turn out. 2 of my faves have won their 1st singles title..Nathalie Dechy (January) and now Elena.

1989, 1994, 1998 French Open Champion, 1994 U.S. Open Champion
1994, 1995 Australian Open Finalist, 1995, 1996 Wimbledon Finalist
4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 09:53 PM   #7
country flag Venus Forever
Team WTAworld

Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of
I dunno, but playing well on the clay [her least favorite surface] by taking Hantuchova to three, is a good sign.

Hopefully Madrid is where she breaks through.

GO ALEXANDRA!!

Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Venus Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 09:59 PM   #8
country flag Becool

Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute
Alex is playing Madrid??
I'm shocked if she is!

BTW, Alex can very well be the next one to win her first title. But I think she might win on a faster surface like Birmingham, or even Eastbourne..

I don't know if she 's going to win a title on clay, but she's going to win a title on faster surfaces.. Who said that the tournaments on indoors, are more competitive.. well Alexandra played well last year on this season.. Did finals at Linz defeating Hantuchova, Myskina and Conchita M. who even tho is a clay courter player, she was really in a row last year on this surface..

So I don't know. Alex is one of those players unpredictable.. She can play like a top 10 a week, and next week, sucks like a player out of top 100.. This is her weakness.. But I'm sure she'll be inspired by some moment of this year and shock (not me) some you guys, and win a title..

No one makes a Wimbledon semifinal with no talent, so to say she doesn't have a talent is bulshit..

serena
townsend × rezaï × lisicki
vesnina × keys × mladenovic

facebook ~ twitter
[#ps - in portuguese]
Becool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 10:02 PM   #9
Team WTAworld

Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of
Yeah, Alexandra is fifth on the entry list for Madrid.

Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 10:06 PM   #10
country flag Pdm1987

Pdm1987 has much to be proud of Pdm1987 has much to be proud of Pdm1987 has much to be proud of Pdm1987 has much to be proud of Pdm1987 has much to be proud of Pdm1987 has much to be proud of Pdm1987 has much to be proud of Pdm1987 has much to be proud of Pdm1987 has much to be proud of Pdm1987 has much to be proud of Pdm1987 has much to be proud of
Vera Z will be next to collect her first title
Pdm1987 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #11
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becool
No one makes a Wimbledon semifinal with no talent, so to say she doesn't have a talent is bulshit..
Reaching Wimbledon semifinals at such young age seem to become a bad omenl.. Kournikova. Lucic. Stevenson.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 10:49 PM   #12
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
The fall indoor season is very competitive, but Alex did really well last year. Maybe this year if she plays a smaller one, she could win.

What's the Quebec City event played on?
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 10:53 PM   #13
country flag CJ07

CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute
the difference between Alex and Dementieva is that Dementieva has always been a top 5 prospect, while alex hasnt

also, Dementieva has always (up untill late last year) been in the top 15 and just waiting for it to happen while isnt 20 Alex's highest ranking?

I'm not saying she wont do it, but unless she gets her head together, anything more than a Tier 3 seems unlikely
CJ07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 10:56 PM   #14
Team WTAworld

IMO, if Alexandra and Elena played their best and both heads were on straight, Alexandra would win. She has the bigger serve (first and second), she has the bigger forehand, and a bigger backhand. She would blow Dementieva off the court.

Alexandra just needs to get her head together, and stop making the UFE. As soon as she does that, she'll be in the top 10 in no time.

And Elena being a top 5 prospect, I highly doubt that, ESPECIALLY with that serve.

BTW, Alexandra's high rank is 18.

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 10:58 PM   #15
country flag selesfan87

selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian
Alex is very talented.
That is something you would expect from a pro.
selesfan87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote