For my fellow Canadian friends : WTSN channel - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 12:56 PM   #1
country flag Tennisfan-Mtl

Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of
For my fellow Canadian friends : WTSN channel

Hi This channel (Women's The Sports Network)is available from one of my local providers. Is it worth it if you're a tennis fan ? I noticed they show some matches once in a while...but is there extended coverage during Grand Slams for example ?

Thanks
Tennisfan-Mtl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #2
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute
I have digital cable but I have to pay extra for WTSN. I would advise against getting it because they show so little tennis it's pathetic. BUT recently they've shown both Charleston AND Amelia. I cant get my parents to but it though because I doubt I'd get my money's worth. If you want it though, go ahead.

P.S. They dont have GS coverage. Only our neighborhood un-friendly TSN shows that.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 02:36 PM   #3
thiskiss

thiskiss is an unknown quantity at this point
HI fellow Canadian tennis fans

I have WTSN for about a year now. I have noticed recently their tennis coverage has improved a lot. They have shown all the matches that ESPN has shown recently from the Nasdaq/Charleston and Amelia Island. They are also showing the exhibition that took place a few weeks ago with seles vs serena. They also DO show grand slam early round matches just like TSN does. If you have digital its defintelty worth it to include WTSN, already in the past 2 months I have had the pleasure to watch many matches including todays Amelia Island final.
thiskiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #4
country flag Tennisfan-Mtl

Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of
Thanks I've also noticed they sort of increased their tennis coverage lately. They are showing today's final...and that's what makes me wanna have it...since no other channel in my local area is showing it...
Tennisfan-Mtl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #5
country flag Hawk

Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of
I just got it recently cause it's better than nothing. What i'm wondering is do they show the year end Tour Championships?
Hawk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #6
Darkheart

Darkheart has disabled reputation
OMG, so that's why Sportsnet can't show WTA tennis anymore.

Well, it's either 1 of 2 theories:

1. WTSN bought the rights after Sportsnet declined.
2. WTSN bought the rights because they bid higher than Sportsnet.

My prediction is that WTSN will show a lot of tennis, as much as Sportsnet showed last year. It will be mirroring mostly ESPN and a little Fox Sportsnet.

Damn it, if only I could afford WTSN. It's part of digital cable which costs double the cost of regular cable.
Darkheart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 09:07 PM   #7
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
I emailed TSN asking them to pick up more WTA events, but maybe WTSN will be instead. I will wait and see if they show more coverage through out the year before I pick it up.

Also, I am calling my cable company tomorrow about the Tennis Channel
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #8
country flag ToeTag

ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute
WTSN's coverage has improved,but in terms of showing GS matches all it is is repeats of what TSN aired earlier as for the season ending championships unless things have changed it'll probably be on sportsnet. I would recommend ordering the channel though,no one else was airing FCC last week or Amelia this week.
ToeTag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #9
babsi

babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future
It's easy to watch ESPN/ESPN 2 if you know how in Canada...

Go to sportsbar and ask to watch it there, that is what I have done this week and I have had no problems, and I can't even hear the commentary which is even better!

WTSN also carried Hong Kong and Dublin earlier this year and shows events below tier II level. TSN have acquired the WTA contract, the real test will come when the European events start...

babsi is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #10
country flag Hawk

Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of
An update for everyone. I had e-mailed TSN awhile ago asking what kind of tennis coverage WTSN got and this is the reply I got back today...

Hi there,

thank you for your email, and please excuse the lateness of my reply.

We have an abundance of WTA tennis airing on WTSN this season. Below are
just a few of the events we will be airing:

Majors (Women's matches only):

The French Open (May/June)
Wimbledon (June/July)

WTA Tour:

Bank of the West Classic - Stanford, CA (Jul 21)
Acura Classic - San Diego, CA (Jul 28)
JP Morgan Chase Open presented by Audi - Los Angeles, CA (Aug 4)
Pilot Pen Tennis - New Haven, CT (Aug 18)
Ladies Kremlin Cup - Moscow, Russia (Sep 29)
Tour Championships - Los Angeles, CA (Nov 3)

We will also be airing several 2003 events on a tape delayed basis.

Stay tuned to www.wtsn.ca for airdates and times or check your local
listings.

I gotta say I'm pretty happy about the Tour Championships

Right now I don't think there is any other channel in Canada that is going to show the Championships.
Hawk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:28 PM   #11
mimimi

mimimi is an unknown quantity at this point
Ture, i wonder why local cables in canada do not have ESPN or ESPN 2> I dont think they will carry this tennis channel as well
mimimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote