Jelena 2 Play For Australia Again And Even Fed Cup This Year! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 05:33 AM   #1
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future
Jelena 2 Play For Australia Again And Even Fed Cup This Year!

Jelena Dokic has been in discussions with officials about representing Australia at next years Olympic Games since she is not eligible to play under Yugoslavia.

Tennis Australia have told her that she would be welcomed back with open arms since she has now severed ties with her father.

It was only a few weeks back that Dokic again asked the WTA to deny her parents any accreditation at tournaments.

It is unclear if she wants to call Australia home but she DEFINITELY wants to play for Australia at the next Olympics.

Tennis Australia is confident she can meet the requirements to do so. It means that she will have to play in 2 Fed Cup ties for Australia to qualify and because of her schedule she will need to make a final decision by July.

This means she will most likely have to play in our next tie after Spain or she will struggle to meet the requirements.

The Tennis Director of Tennis Australia, Mike Daws confirmed talks have taken place with Jelena.

'This is a very delicate process, we dont want to say too much at this stage, but I will say that Jelena would be very welcome to come and compete for us, there are no hard feelings at all" "This is a personal issue for her to decide upon and I really think she has to advise us, she is still an Australian Citizen so that is not an issue, the issue is that Jelena has to be happy!"

Dokic would not have a problem with fitting into a Fed Cup team. Alicia Molik, speaking from Budapest yesterday said that Australian players did not have a problem with Dokic, "She keeps to herself" she said "No one knows too much about her, she does her own thing, but no one has a personal problem with her."

Seems that Jelena teaming with Rennae Stubbs this week was no coincedence at all!!!

I'd personally love to see Jelena back, at least we can then say our money didnt go to waste in developing her talent!!!

Last edited by AUSBOY : Apr 20th, 2003 at 06:32 AM.
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 05:45 AM   #2
country flag Mattographer
Also known as AlexSydney

Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute
Someone else posted about it in General Messages last night and yes, I would love to see Jelena represent Australia once again

This is my signature. Pretty neat, isn't it?
Mattographer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #3
country flag Sharapova's_Boy

Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
That was a shock!

But I hope she comes back!

Sharapova's_Boy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #4
country flag King Aaron
Team WTAworld
Mr. Try Too Hard

King Aaron has disabled reputation
Whichever is best for her tennis.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 08:09 PM   #5
country flag Vicky88

Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of
Truthfully I don't care whether or not she plays for Australia.

However, the positive I do see, if this story is accurate, is that Jelena seems to have matured and is making decisions for herself. I hope this will mean she will play the AO in future as she needs to play all the GS to help her ranking.

Hopefully this means her life is much more peaceful and she is living with a lot less stress these days. No-one deserves the pressure she must have endured over the past few years.
Vicky88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 11:36 PM   #6
stubbsy71

stubbsy71 is a splendid one to behold stubbsy71 is a splendid one to behold stubbsy71 is a splendid one to behold stubbsy71 is a splendid one to behold stubbsy71 is a splendid one to behold stubbsy71 is a splendid one to behold stubbsy71 is a splendid one to behold stubbsy71 is a splendid one to behold stubbsy71 is a splendid one to behold stubbsy71 is a splendid one to behold stubbsy71 is a splendid one to behold
Rennae and Dokic teaming up was not contected to this at all. That I know for sure.
stubbsy71 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:48 AM   #7
country flag Martian Stacey
Team WTAworld

Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute
To be honest, i wouldn't want her to play for Oz again. It seems she only wants to becuase she can't represent Yugoslavia, so now we're like her last resort
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:00 AM   #8
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing is set in stone yet...I wouldn't go jumping to conclusions, it probably wont happen. Simon, you would make a great tabloid writer with all these attention grabbing headlines
TS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:36 PM   #9
country flag keta

keta is an unknown quantity at this point keta is an unknown quantity at this point keta is an unknown quantity at this point keta is an unknown quantity at this point keta is an unknown quantity at this point keta is an unknown quantity at this point keta is an unknown quantity at this point keta is an unknown quantity at this point keta is an unknown quantity at this point keta is an unknown quantity at this point keta is an unknown quantity at this point
I would be so happy if Jelena played for Australia again! She is such a nice person and its not her fault that her father is such an ass!! I remeber when i was maybe 11 i was at hopman cup and she was on the training court and i asked for her autograph in the program and she said no and ill do something better and got a tennis ball and signed it for me! I stil have the ball!!
Play for Aus again Jelena!

singing a song,
walking in a Lleyton Wonderland ...
There's - on - ly - ONE - Lleyton Hewitt ...

Lleyki For ever!!!

...push up...Ya body, Ya body next to mine...push up...i gotta make that sexy booty mine...push up...and shake it, baby shake that ass...push up...i love it when you feel like getting nasty
keta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:40 AM   #10
Auscas

Auscas is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face

A far as I am concerned, Jelena should stay the hell away from Australia. She milked this country's tennis system for all it was worth(well her father had the primary role in this of course!!) at the ultimate expense of many other deserving juniors at the time, then packs up and leaves to go back to her homeland. Now she can't get what she wants in Serbia so we are the second best option for her-what an insult.
I hope that ultimately Tennis Australia has the guts to tell her and her aggressive arrogant father that she will have to remain an East European in limbo, and we have no place for her on either the Fed Cup or the Olympic team.
Auscas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:22 AM   #11
Postcard

Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold
And some comments from Liz Smylie (who is a Fed Cup selector):

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...E11088,00.html
Postcard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:49 PM   #12
country flag Gallofa
Diosa Contable

Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future
More news:

Tight lips on Dokic return
By MARK STEVENS
24apr03

AUSTRALIA'S leading women didn't come out swinging against tennis rebel Jelena Dokic yesterday, but they weren't exactly gushing with excitement about her return either.

Alicia Molik and Nicole Pratt refused to buy into the issue, saying they would have an opinion only when the controversial star made an official announcement on her intentions.
Dokic's camp has put out feelers about a return to the Australian Fed Cup team in time for the Olympics, but Molik and Pratt refused to expand on what they dubbed "speculation and rumour".

Pratt, whose Olympic and Fed Cup berth would be most under threat if Dokic returned, said the news had come out of the blue.

"We've seen Jelena on tour the last three or four weeks. There were no conversations there in reference to Fed Cup," Pratt said.

"I don't think anyone's in a position to make any comments.

"When the time comes, I'm sure everyone will have an opinion on the Jelena issue. We're waiting on her to make an announcement."

Molik, in hot form and challenging Pratt for Australian No. 1 status, said the issue had barely been discussed among the Fed Cup team.

"We can't talk about speculation. Until someone hears word or hears directly from her or anyone else, I guess we won't be," she said.

Fed Cup captain Evonne Goolagong Cawley was also tight-lipped at a telephone hook-up in the lead-up to this weekend's Fed Cup tie against Spain in Tarragona.

"I really have nothing to say. We're just here to focus on the Fed Cup," Goolagong Cawley said.

Molik and Pratt will spearhead Australia's assault as singles players against a Spanish team led by veteran Conchita Martinez.

Molik recently reached consecutive finals at Sarasota in Florida and Budapest, defeating Martinez on the way to the final at Sarasota.

And in Budapest, Molik lost to Spanish Fed Cup player Magui Serna, the world No. 42.

Molik said she had learnt how to win ugly.

"Now on a bad day I do what I have to and can still come through with a win," she said.

Gallofa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 12:01 AM   #13
louloubelle

louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postcard
And some comments from Liz Smylie (who is a Fed Cup selector):

I agree with Liz here. Jelena will have to give some long-standing committment before she should be embraced back into the Aussie camp. Not playing Fed Cup just for next years Olympics and then shutting us out again.

If she has changed her childish attitude (even if it was dad induced) then maybe it might be time to forgive - but without some committment and atleast some remorse for the way she turned her back on a country and their tennis fans that adored her and poured money into her development during her rise then just show her the door.
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:51 PM   #14
Postcard

Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold Postcard is a splendid one to behold
And this is what Jelena said:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...382051038.html

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 09:34 PM   #15
Postcard

Just 24 days to go until the Fed Cup tie.

And according to the Fed Cup Rules and Regulations:

www.fedcup.com/about/rulesregs.asp

"11. TEAM AND CAPTAIN NOMINATIONS

Each competing Nation shall, no less than ten (10) days before the date fixed for the commencement of a Tie, nominate in order of merit to the Fed Cup Executive Director a team consisting of:

i) a minimum of three players plus a playing or non-playing Captain, or
ii) a maximum of four players plus a non-playing Captain

to represent it in such forthcoming Tie without specifying which players shall play in singles and doubles. Two nominations may be changed up to one hour before the Draw...

Note: Up to 10 days prior to the Tie a Nation may change its team nominations one or more times. After the 10 days limit, up to two team nominations may be changed up to one hour before the Draw."

So I guess that Tennis Australia will be making an announcement of the nominated team no later than Wednesday 9 July 2003. A Fed Cup poster for the tie that I've seen has photos of Stubbsy, Evie, Alicia, Pratty and Sam (plus Evonne).

And from The Australian:

JELENA DOKIC has less than a month to decide whether to play tennis for Australia again or miss out on next year's Olympics altogether.

Dokic, the world No.12, must make herself available to play next month's Fed Cup World Group playoffs or find herself without a country to represent in Athens.

Under International Tennis Federation rules, players must be ranked in the top four of their country and been available to play Fed Cup in two of the three previous years...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...E23216,00.html