Jennifer really confuses me... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #1
SerenaSlam

SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future
Jennifer really confuses me...

...now I know she can hit with like Lindsay, Serena, Venus, but i just don't understand her. When she goes into matches against them, its like she elects to play nothing but defense, no offense, and in the case with playing lindsay, she can hit a good defensive shot on the run, setting up an easy winner (giving you the reason why she hits a lot of winners against lindsa) But when you have Lindsay D, or Serena W, like she has played them the past 2 times, playing this well, you have to give something else, and that is Offense in your part, and its something she has.

Does she not want to do it? No, she does it at the wrong time, and most of the time, well hell, every time, its too late. Like today against Lindsay, she was running jennifer all over the court, side to side, up, back, down, left and right. All Jennifer did to day was Defense. I wondered why so often Venus/Serena hit so many winners against Jennifer if she is supposed to be OC with her fitness and very fast, but still it really doesn't show. These players (Lindsay, Serena,Venus) have adjusted to the waiting factor. Just run jennifer around, like serena said during us open, you can run down everything, and that is a good proven point, and every time i see jennifer play lindsay, serena or venus, she is running down a lot of balls, but eventually b/c these three have learned to just wait for the winner ball, they hit like 40-50 winners against her every time.

Where is Jennifer's offense, and when does he bring it? Her offense is there, but when she was down 15-40 and the two match points, its like she all of a sudden clicked and realized that she needs to hit the ball, otherwise this match is over. When the score read 15-40, i knew the match was over, Jennifer is really really really picking the wrong time to play Offense, especially against someone like Lindsay. Jennifer should be running Lindsay around about like Serena/Venus do lindsay, just run her everywhere, and beat her in straight sets. But everytime these two plays, 1 its lindsay the only 1 dicating (well let me say lindsay dictates about 90 % of the match) 2 linsday as to date, is the only 1 winning.

When Jennifer won Australian, i really do believe and feel this was the actual grand slam she was playing her best tennis. She was playing A LOT AND I MEAN A LOT more OFFENSE, than she was DEFENSE, but still had the good defense game.

Right now, Jennifer is more so relying on her opponent to make errors, while she hits a couple winners every now and then to keep her in matches, she is a very good player, and i think if starting matches, she would just turn on her Offense game from the start and keep it going, she would win easier, and against the top players, she would have them struggling even more, and it wouldn't be b/c they are making errors or b/c jennifer is playing "good defense" it would be more so b/c Jennifer is hitting these winners, and playing good defense.

Let The Word....Do the Work...

Speak over YOURSELF...

Follow Me! @CedricEarl
SerenaSlam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 08:55 PM   #2
o0O0o

o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point
Against the top players, Jennifer isn't that powerful. Linday is the most powerful on tour and Serena and Venus are close behind. In 2001, IMO, Jennifer played more complete tennis. Like against Hingis in her first Aussie Open final, Jennifer didn't really overpower her but played consistently, hit from side to side, and closed points off at net or short in the court. I'd call her a complete player more than a power player.

And that is the problem. You have to be as powerful as Lindsay to beat her. She doesn't lose to players unless they have HUGE weapons. Capriati just isn't explose enough.

Davenport's recent losses are against Clijsters, Venus, Serena, and Seles. Those players can explode on the ball more than Jennifer.
o0O0o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 09:01 PM   #3
country flag Mr. Man

Mr. Man has disabled reputation
o0O0o has a point.

I really wanted Jen to win today, Then get a damn title. It's been awhile eh?

Venus & Serena: "You are my everything."

- Official Duke of the Royal Court -
Mr. Man is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 09:12 PM   #4
leslie

leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaSlam
...now I know she can hit with like Lindsay, Serena, Venus, but i just don't understand her. When she goes into matches against them, its like she elects to play nothing but defense, no offense, and in the case with playing lindsay, she can hit a good defensive shot on the run, setting up an easy winner (giving you the reason why she hits a lot of winners against lindsa) But when you have Lindsay D, or Serena W, like she has played them the past 2 times, playing this well, you have to give something else, and that is Offense in your part, and its something she has.

Does she not want to do it? No, she does it at the wrong time, and most of the time, well hell, every time, its too late. Like today against Lindsay, she was running jennifer all over the court, side to side, up, back, down, left and right. All Jennifer did to day was Defense. I wondered why so often Venus/Serena hit so many winners against Jennifer if she is supposed to be OC with her fitness and very fast, but still it really doesn't show. These players (Lindsay, Serena,Venus) have adjusted to the waiting factor. Just run jennifer around, like serena said during us open, you can run down everything, and that is a good proven point, and every time i see jennifer play lindsay, serena or venus, she is running down a lot of balls, but eventually b/c these three have learned to just wait for the winner ball, they hit like 40-50 winners against her every time.

Where is Jennifer's offense, and when does he bring it? Her offense is there, but when she was down 15-40 and the two match points, its like she all of a sudden clicked and realized that she needs to hit the ball, otherwise this match is over. When the score read 15-40, i knew the match was over, Jennifer is really really really picking the wrong time to play Offense, especially against someone like Lindsay. Jennifer should be running Lindsay around about like Serena/Venus do lindsay, just run her everywhere, and beat her in straight sets. But everytime these two plays, 1 its lindsay the only 1 dicating (well let me say lindsay dictates about 90 % of the match) 2 linsday as to date, is the only 1 winning.

When Jennifer won Australian, i really do believe and feel this was the actual grand slam she was playing her best tennis. She was playing A LOT AND I MEAN A LOT more OFFENSE, than she was DEFENSE, but still had the good defense game.

Right now, Jennifer is more so relying on her opponent to make errors, while she hits a couple winners every now and then to keep her in matches, she is a very good player, and i think if starting matches, she would just turn on her Offense game from the start and keep it going, she would win easier, and against the top players, she would have them struggling even more, and it wouldn't be b/c they are making errors or b/c jennifer is playing "good defense" it would be more so b/c Jennifer is hitting these winners, and playing good defense.
Yea, she plays like Kim waiting for her opponents to make errors. Jen is not a smart player either if she was she would move Lindsay all over the court like V/S. I don't know she can seem to win another title almost 2 yrs. She needs to go back to the drawing board. She did improve her 1st serve.
leslie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 09:23 PM   #5
country flag Venus Forever
Team WTAworld

Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of
I think o0O0o is right for a change.

Jennifer comes off to many as a power player, and so does Kim Clijsters for that fact. Sure, they have power, but not an excessive amount of it, like Lindsay, Venus, Serena, and Monica have. They can hit hard, and hit harder than most, but not as hard the other four, and most people do not realize that, and expect them to be slugging just as many winners as the other four.

Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Venus Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #6
downtheline

downtheline is just really nice downtheline is just really nice downtheline is just really nice downtheline is just really nice downtheline is just really nice downtheline is just really nice downtheline is just really nice downtheline is just really nice downtheline is just really nice downtheline is just really nice downtheline is just really nice
We have to remember that Jen is less of a power-player then she was in 1991. Back then, she was one of the top three hitters of the ball easily. Today, we have Davenport and the Williams girls, and they can blow winners by her early in a point. Jen has steady flat strokes and can push opponents back once she gets into a rally, but against the better girls, she does not strike first enough because she doesn't have that extra leverage or muscle. Unfortunately, she doesn't use the inside-out forehand enough it seems. Her forehand is more explosive than her backhand, but it's rather useless when she is content to hit late and whip up crosscourt all the time.

Her serve is a liability. It's technique. She drops her head down, and her toss gives away what she is trying to hit.

Henin is developing a fine first serve, and she is shorter.

Jen was playing like Aranxta Sanchez Vicario today without any topspin.

It's odd how Monica and Jen had to become defensive players. I think Monica had more trouble adjusting though.

With that being said, Jen is still right in there with the top girls. She needs to get in a groove with winning matches against top players.

She is not far away. This was her first clay court event. I think she should commit to a lot of events before the French and the US Open. If she is going to overcome these girls in the Slams, she has to do it at Tier 1/2 events as well.

If she gets her serve together somehow, she could be up there with Clijsters no problem.

She is playing a notch below 2001. It is confidence and that predictable serve. At least she did not double fault so much today.

Jennifer hasn't maxed out on her talent yet. She can have another good run at it like 2001.
downtheline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #7
SerenaSlam

SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future
so what is the name we should be using for these players like kim and jennifer?

We have power players- Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Monica

We have the defensive players- Coetzer, Panova, Pistolesi

But what about- Jennifer, Kim, Dani, Amelie, etc... what should we be calling them?

Speak over YOURSELF...

Follow Me! @CedricEarl
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 09:35 PM   #8
country flag Venus Forever
Team WTAworld

Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of
The Little power Babes??

How 'bout that??

Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Venus Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 09:40 PM   #9
o0O0o

o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point
Big-babes: Davenport, Williamses

Medium Babes: Dokic, Capriati, Hantuchova, Clijsters
o0O0o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 09:43 PM   #10
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
It's a fine line. There's no question that Kim, Jennifer, Daniela can out power any on tour [with the exception of the big three Lindsay, Venus, Serena]. That's how the win those matches, but against the top three, they become the under dog in a sense.

I've mentioned this before, but Kim and Jennifer are different from the Big Babes in the sense that they don't hit close to the lines. They aren't as aggressive as Lindsay, Venus, Serena. That hurts them to a degree. What would be winners against any other player, aren't against those top three.
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 09:43 PM   #11
SerenaSlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0O0o
Big-babes: Davenport, Williamses

Medium Babes: Dokic, Capriati, Hantuchova, Clijsters
sounds good to me

Speak over YOURSELF...

Follow Me! @CedricEarl
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 09:47 PM   #12
SerenaSlam

is this say the prob the first thread every where everyone is really actually agreeing? no negativity.

This thread is offcially OC!

Speak over YOURSELF...

Follow Me! @CedricEarl
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 10:37 PM   #13
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Capriati lacks a big weapon. Her phenomenal fitness and footwork are the reason why she stays with the top players. She hits hard enough to beat everyone else and is fit enough to chase everything else down but in the end she hasn't got a big shot and that's why she can't put Lindsay or Serena away.

Venus is an entirely different prospect though and I think JenCap's a bit mentally vulnerable against her.
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 11:33 PM   #14
selesfan

selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie
Yea, she plays like Kim waiting for her opponents to make errors. Jen is not a smart player either if she was she would move Lindsay all over the court like V/S. I don't know she can seem to win another title almost 2 yrs. She needs to go back to the drawing board. She did improve her 1st serve.
Like Patty Schnyder said it is not easy to move Lindsay around when she is dctating play. The Williams sisters are the only players who can consistently move Lindsay around because they get to most of Lindsay's shots that are winners against the other players.
selesfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 01:10 AM   #15
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute
I expected jen to beat lindsay on clay and i am still surprised. So much for people thinking lindsay sucks on clay, she just may shock everyone at RG.
What I don't get is if Kim and jen's games are similar, then how come Kim seems to have found the key to beating lindsay! I believe it boils down to the mental game and Jen needs to beat either serena or venus/linc just once and the rest of her game will come togethger. Aggression needs confidence.
tennnisfannn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote