Arizona and Idaho's Anti-gay Bills - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 12:58 AM   #1
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute
Arizona and Idaho's Anti-gay Bills

I haven't seen anything about this here yet, so thought I'd make a new thread.

Arizona's

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/21/us/arizona-anti-gay-bill/

Idaho's

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2..._be_legal.html

kansas has one too, but outrage seems to have killed it (for now). And idaho has withdrawn it "for now." for tl;dr crowd, Arizona passed a bill that now goes to the governor that would make it legal to deny goods and services to lgbt people if it's against their "beliefs." Idaho's goes even further in a terrifying direction that wouldf allow even doctors to deny services to them, and bars the state from punishing them for refusing.

There has been enough pushback to get the bills halted for now, but in both kansas and idaho they have said they may try again.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 01:12 AM   #2
country flag buddyholly

buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future
Re: Arizona and Idaho's Anti-gay Bills

I am watching a discussion on TV now.

The part that confuses me is how does the person who fears being offended identify whether or not the person he might do business with is gay?
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 01:16 AM   #3
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Greater Phoenix Economic Council, in a letter to Brewer on Friday, urged the governor to veto Senate Bill 1062, saying the "legislation will likely have profound, negative effects on our business community for years to come."
"The legislation places businesses currently in Arizona, as well as those looking to locate here, in potentially damaging risk of litigation, and costly, needless legal disputes," council President Barry Broome wrote, adding that four unidentified companies have vowed to locate elsewhere if the legislation is signed.

He added, "With major events approaching in the coming year, including Super Bowl XLIX, Arizona will be the center of the world's stage. This legislation has the potential of subjecting the Super Bowl, and major events surrounding it, to the threats of boycotts."
On CNN's "The Lead with Jake Tapper," Arizona state Rep. John Kavanagh, a Republican, said the bill would not allow hotel clerks or waiters, for instance, to turn away customers, unless there was a "substantial burden on their sincerely held religious beliefs."

The bill is being pushed by the Center for Arizona Policy, a conservative group opposed to abortion and same-sex marriage. The group has justified the measure on grounds that the proposal protects people against increasingly activist federal courts.
"As we witness hostility towards people of faith grow like never before, we must take this opportunity to speak up for religious liberty," the group said on its website, asking people to contact Brewer and urge her to sign the bill. "The great news is that SB 1062 protects your right to live and work according to your faith."

Cathi Herrod, the center's president, told CNN on Friday, "The Arizona bill has a very simple premise, that Americans should be free to live and work according to their religious faith. It's simply about protecting religious liberty and nothing else."
Herrod said the bill's opponents are "showing unbelievable hostility toward religious beliefs."
"America still stands for the principle that religious beliefs matter (for) something in this country, that we have the right to freely exercise our religious beliefs," she said.

But Robert Boston, a spokesman for the Washington-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State, told CNN the legislation would "fling the door wide open to discrimination, not just against gay people, but basically to any class of individuals that a religious fundamentalist decides he or she doesn't want to deal with."

He added, "A woman who is pregnant out of wedlock, for example, 'Well, out the door, you don't get served in my business.' "
The Arizona legislation was passed as conservative states work to counter laws legalizing same-sex marriage. Arizona voters approved a ban on same-sex marriage as a state constitutional amendment in 2008.
No surprise that once again Arizona makes news for its bigotry. If the Super Bowl boycotts seem credible they may back off. Jan Brewer was smart enough to expand Medicaid in the state also known as accepting Obamacare maybe she'll be smart enough to veto this bill as well. Although I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 04:25 PM   #4
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the articles would once again be about anti-SSM being misrepresented as "anti-homosexual". But no, these bills are really anti-homosexual. Sucks!! It's just crazy that there are still people who make such a fuss about sexuality.
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 04:30 PM   #5
country flag buddyholly

buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future

Arizona lawyers must have a good lobby.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 08:43 PM   #6
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
I thought the articles would once again be about anti-SSM being misrepresented as "anti-homosexual"..

Why would think that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
But no, these bills are really anti-homosexual. Sucks!! It's just crazy that there are still people who make such a fuss about sexuality.
Well , some of the other threads decrying bigotry and racism, for which you have questioned the OP motivation, were also about real bigotry and real racism.
Arizona SB1070 was also racially motivated against Hispanics

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 08:44 PM   #7
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
I haven't seen anything about this here yet, so thought I'd make a new thread.

Arizona's

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/21/us/arizona-anti-gay-bill/

Idaho's

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2..._be_legal.html

kansas has one too, but outrage seems to have killed it (for now). And idaho has withdrawn it "for now." for tl;dr crowd, Arizona passed a bill that now goes to the governor that would make it legal to deny goods and services to lgbt people if it's against their "beliefs." Idaho's goes even further in a terrifying direction that wouldf allow even doctors to deny services to them, and bars the state from punishing them for refusing.

There has been enough pushback to get the bills halted for now, but in both kansas and idaho they have said they may try again.
I can't understand how any gay person in the U.S. can vote republican. My gawd, these people detest you.
Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 08:50 PM   #8
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
I can't understand how any gay person in the U.S. can vote republican. My gawd, these people detest you.
So do you!
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 08:54 PM   #9
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
Me too!
Is there a trade-off for gay people who call themselves republicans?

If yes, what is it?

1. Existential threat from Republican party.
2. Comfort to be among whites like themselves

If they are true to themselves, they can't have 2 because of 1.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Feb 22nd, 2014 at 09:18 PM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 01:26 AM   #10
country flag Lord Choc Ice
Hot Messes Need Love

Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute

Ew, that's terrible. Even in the healthcare sector that would apply? That's messed up .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Lord Choc Ice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 01:39 AM   #11
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWill View Post
No surprise that once again Arizona makes news for its bigotry. If the Super Bowl boycotts seem credible they may back off. Jan Brewer was smart enough to expand Medicaid in the state also known as accepting Obamacare maybe she'll be smart enough to veto this bill as well. Although I'm not holding my breath.
The good thing is that she's not up for reelection but she's a damn fool so we'll just have to see.
Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote