2014 National Team Indoors - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 5th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #16
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all
Re: 2014 National Team Indoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
Michigan: Yurkovsky hasn't played in a dual match yet
Can't remember where I saw/heard it, but I believe Yurovsky has been out with a shoulder injury and I didn't get the impression that a return was imminent.

Disappointed with the draw overall - they did seed the best 8 teams (I don't think anyone really believes Miami is better than Duke), but if they were going to muck with the rankings, they really should've seperated teams from the same conference. I wish the coaches would make more of a stink about this - it's no wonder teams like UF and Stanford don't show up here often.

The 1st round night match for host UVA vs top seed UF could be pretty interesting. UVA may be the strongest unseeded team here even without the home court advantage and then there is Danielle Collins vs her former team as well.
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 5th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #17
country flag TennisDad

TennisDad is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: 2014 National Team Indoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSEMT View Post
Can't remember where I saw/heard it, but I believe Yurovsky has been out with a shoulder injury and I didn't get the impression that a return was imminent.

Disappointed with the draw overall - they did seed the best 8 teams (I don't think anyone really believes Miami is better than Duke), but if they were going to muck with the rankings, they really should've seperated teams from the same conference. I wish the coaches would make more of a stink about this - it's no wonder teams like UF and Stanford don't show up here often.

The 1st round night match for host UVA vs top seed UF could be pretty interesting. UVA may be the strongest unseeded team here even without the home court advantage and then there is Danielle Collins vs her former team as well.
The first thing I thought of when I saw the draw was Collins vs. UF
TennisDad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #18
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Some questions surrounding a few teams:

UNC: Will Kay play singles? She was out in UNC'a loss to A&M
Michigan: Yurkovsky hasn't played in a dual match yet
Duke: Scholl didn't play in the kick-off weekend.
UCLA: Questions about McPhillips health.
For UCLA, Ray as well. She also wasn't in the photo and has missed their last two dual matches.
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #19
country flag knoxt

knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold

I don't understand why Stanford thinks they're too good to play national indoors. Maybe it's due to physical distance and traveling, but it's early enough in the season for them to pass I guess. Their loss.

As for the host UVA playing Florida, this is an incredible opportunity for an upset. UVA's lineup has reshuffled this season, with Collins playing #2 and Maci Epstein back in the lineup at #5 following injury last season. Also, two freshmen are playing #3 and #6 - Rachel Pierson and Marie Faure. Nauta Personally, I think Marie is still pretty raw, so this should be a good learning experience for her. Li Xi got shuffled out of the lineup due to her inconsistency, I'm guessing.

Why did Collins leave UF? Did she get sit out during her season there? Should interesting to see her playing her former team.
knoxt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 11:43 PM   #20

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

Lineups can be found here, although it really doesn't indicate who will play and not play.

http://www.itatennis.com/AssetFactory.aspx?did=13940
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 05:25 PM   #21
country flag TennisDad

TennisDad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxt View Post
I don't understand why Stanford thinks they're too good to play national indoors. Maybe it's due to physical distance and traveling, but it's early enough in the season for them to pass I guess. Their loss.

As for the host UVA playing Florida, this is an incredible opportunity for an upset. UVA's lineup has reshuffled this season, with Collins playing #2 and Maci Epstein back in the lineup at #5 following injury last season. Also, two freshmen are playing #3 and #6 - Rachel Pierson and Marie Faure. Nauta Personally, I think Marie is still pretty raw, so this should be a good learning experience for her. Li Xi got shuffled out of the lineup due to her inconsistency, I'm guessing.

Why did Collins leave UF? Did she get sit out during her season there? Should interesting to see her playing her former team.
I haven't heard or know why she really left UF, but I did hear from a great source that she never got along with her teammates from the start. She wasn't willing to build relationships during the summer prior to her arrival which rubbed the veterans the wrong way and it went downhill from there. Also, some other training issues.

She started the dual season last year at #3 and slowly moved down to just playing doubles. I have a feeling she said or did something that really upset Roland because she should have played in the Top 4.

She is very intense in every match she plays regardless of the competition. My guess (hope) is she will be fired up and angry when she plays UF (Cercone) Will make for fun match to watch!
TennisDad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #22
country flag iPatty

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisDad View Post
I haven't heard or know why she really left UF, but I did hear from a great source that she never got along with her teammates from the start. She wasn't willing to build relationships during the summer prior to her arrival which rubbed the veterans the wrong way and it went downhill from there. Also, some other training issues.

She started the dual season last year at #3 and slowly moved down to just playing doubles. I have a feeling she said or did something that really upset Roland because she should have played in the Top 4.

She is very intense in every match she plays regardless of the competition. My guess (hope) is she will be fired up and angry when she plays UF (Cercone) Will make for fun match to watch!
Her boyfriend Mac Styslinger also goes to UVA.
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #23
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
Her boyfriend Mac Styslinger also goes to UVA.
They were still dating when it was announced she was transferring but I'm pretty sure they broke up shortly after. It was sometime last summer. Danielle was also choosing between UF and UVA out of high school. But I think the biggest factor was she didn't get along with any of the girls and Roland didn't have the patience for her diva attitude -- similar to what TennisDad said.
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #24
country flag desariofan

desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
They were still dating when it was announced she was transferring but I'm pretty sure they broke up shortly after. It was sometime last summer. Danielle was also choosing between UF and UVA out of high school. But I think the biggest factor was she didn't get along with any of the girls and Roland didn't have the patience for her diva attitude -- similar to what TennisDad said.
basic bitches not wanted!
desariofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #25
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisDad View Post

One of the challenges for the coach is to find players that will fit together chemistry wise, especially with the top players like Embree and Will. Embree was such an intense competitor, especially with her work-out regimen and she was their leader. I am sure Collins wasn't a good fit and her not playing against Stanford in NCAA's stamped her departure.

Janowicz must have made some big improvements as I was a bit surprised that she leaped from #5 last year to #1 this year, while Oyen dropped from #2 to #4. The way Morgan had improved last year, I thought she would be playing #1. It will be interesting when they play Stanford later this month, because both Cercone and Hardebeck are at #2.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #26

Looks like the top seeds will be on video:

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports...B_OEM_ID=30500
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 04:16 AM   #27
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Predictions

(1) Florida def. UVA -- Hope UVA puts up a good fight.
(8) Texas A&M def. Northwestern
(4) UCLA def. Texas
(5) USC def. Alabama

(6) Cal def. Clemson
(3) Georgia def. Miami

(7) Duke def. Michigan
(2) UNC def. Vanderbilt

QFs
(1) Florida def. (8) Texas A&M
(4) UCLA def. (5) USC

(3) Georgia def. (6) Cal -- Think this will be close
(7) Duke def. (2) UNC - Eh, why not? This tournament is boring so far

SFs
(4) UCLA def. (1) Florida
(3) Georgia def. (7) Duke

Finals
(4) UCLA def. (3) Georgia

----
Mind is telling me the Duke def. UNC and Georgia making the finals is silly but having UNC in the finals was too boring But UNC will be a tough out. Two really strong doubles teams at 1 and 2 and then two as close to guarantee wins as possible at 1 and 2 singles (although Carter's loss to A&M was shocking) so that's 3 points right there.

I'd be surprised if UCLA lost here. They are so deep.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 04:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Predictions

(1) Florida def. UVA -- Hope UVA puts up a good fight.
(8) Texas A&M def. Northwestern
(4) UCLA def. Texas
(5) USC def. Alabama

(6) Cal def. Clemson
(3) Georgia def. Miami

(7) Duke def. Michigan
(2) UNC def. Vanderbilt

QFs
(1) Florida def. (8) Texas A&M
(4) UCLA def. (5) USC

(3) Georgia def. (6) Cal -- Think this will be close
(7) Duke def. (2) UNC - Eh, why not? This tournament is boring so far

SFs
(4) UCLA def. (1) Florida
(3) Georgia def. (7) Duke

Finals
(4) UCLA def. (3) Georgia

----
Mind is telling me the Duke def. UNC and Georgia making the finals is silly but having UNC in the finals was too boring But UNC will be a tough out. Two really strong doubles teams at 1 and 2 and then two as close to guarantee wins as possible at 1 and 2 singles (although Carter's loss to A&M was shocking) so that's 3 points right there.

I'd be surprised if UCLA lost here. They are so deep.
It depends on who UCLA has playing. UCLA is also not strong in doubles so they could easily lose the doubles point and have to play from behind.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 04:31 AM   #29
country flag Amalgamate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
It depends on who UCLA has playing. UCLA is also not strong in doubles so they could easily lose the doubles point and have to play from behind.
1. Anderson
2. Van Nguyen
3. Brady
4. McPhillips
5. Harrison
6. Ray

That's damn tough I'm not sure who matches up "well" with UCLA. I don't think there's a team in this tournament who would be favored in 3 singles matches against UCLA.

Edit: Granted if Kyle doesn't play then UCLA is a little more vulnerable.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 04:34 AM   #30

Quote:
1. Anderson
2. Van Nguyen
3. Brady
4. McPhillips
5. Harrison
6. Ray

That's damn tough I'm not sure who matches up "well" with UCLA. I don't think there's a team in this tournament who would be favored in 3 singles matches against UCLA.
Yes, that's the lineup, but we don't know who's healthy. Remember that Brady and Ray haven't played in UCLA's last two dual matches. Also, McPhillips and Ray were not pictured in the picture they tweeted on the plane. I hope UCLA has a healthy team competing.