Seles def. Barna Article - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:40 PM   #1
country flag WhatTheDeuce
11/11/11

WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute
Seles def. Barna Article

By EDDIE PELLS

AMELIA ISLAND, Fla. (AP) - Her injured foot was the least of the worries for Monica Seles. She also had a nasty crick in her neck that almost ended her comeback before it began.

In her first match after a seven-week layoff, Seles struggled to defeat Anca Barna 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-3 at the Bausch & Lomb Championships on Wednesday.

This week was supposed to be an opportunity for the sixth-seeded Seles to play on the cushy, green clay at Amelia Island and see how her left foot would respond after a stress fracture in February.

She almost withdrew, however, when she slept weird on her neck Monday night and it seized up on her the next morning. She was able to play because the draw was favorable, and she didn't have her first match until Wednesday.

"I really couldn't move it at all," Seles said. "I couldn't practice, nothing. It was one of those things where you're stuck. You can't look to the left or right."

True to her word, she barely moved her neck during the winner's news conference. Before that, in the first set of her match, she needed a timeout for a trainer to come to the court and massage out some of the pain.

Seles said she felt lucky to win that close tiebreaker - "Either player can win at 5-all," she said - and is glad she'll get some more chances to test the foot before the meat of the clay-court season begins. The French Open starts May 26.

"Instead of going over to Europe and saying, 'Gee, my foot is not doing too good,' I really enjoy Amelia Island, so I thought this would be the perfect combination," Seles said. "I just really came down here wanting to get some matches and have a good time."

Seles, who won here in 1999 and 2000, will play a third-round match Thursday against 10th-seeded Nathalie Dechy, who defeated Maria Vento-Kabchi 7-5, 4-6, 7-5.

Coming off her victory last week at the Family Circle Cup, top-seeded Justine Henin-Hardenne opened play here Wednesday with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Dally Randriantefy.

Fifth-seeded Jelena Dokic defeated Tina Pisnik, 7-5, 5-7, 6-1; seventh-seeded Patty Schnyder defeated Maja Matevzic, 6-1, 4-1, retired; tenth-seeded Elena Dementieva beat Lina Krasnoroustskaya, 6-1, 7-5 and 15th-seeded Paola Suarez beat Elena Likhovtseva, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3.

Through 2˝ days, no seeded player has lost.
Never come

WhatTheDeuce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 10:00 PM   #2
country flag Jakub

Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute
poor Monica but what a fighter she is

Monica Seles, Elena Dementieva, Kveta Hrdlickova, Karolina Woźniacki, Aiko Nakamura, Silvija Talaja , Darina Sedenkova
, Liga Dekmeijere, Margit Ruutel

Jakub is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 10:02 PM   #3
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute
hopefully we won't have to start worrying about the neck too! it looks like thats in the past, but how unfortunate that almost was! hopefully she will have general health for the rest of her matches.
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 05:40 AM   #4
country flag Je_ne_sais_quoi

Je_ne_sais_quoi has a reputation beyond repute Je_ne_sais_quoi has a reputation beyond repute Je_ne_sais_quoi has a reputation beyond repute Je_ne_sais_quoi has a reputation beyond repute Je_ne_sais_quoi has a reputation beyond repute Je_ne_sais_quoi has a reputation beyond repute Je_ne_sais_quoi has a reputation beyond repute Je_ne_sais_quoi has a reputation beyond repute Je_ne_sais_quoi has a reputation beyond repute Je_ne_sais_quoi has a reputation beyond repute Je_ne_sais_quoi has a reputation beyond repute
poor moni...fight on! make it back into top 10!
Je_ne_sais_quoi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 06:27 AM   #5
galadriel

galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute
Poor Monica
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 03:19 PM   #6
country flag Zl@tko

Zl@tko has a reputation beyond repute Zl@tko has a reputation beyond repute Zl@tko has a reputation beyond repute Zl@tko has a reputation beyond repute Zl@tko has a reputation beyond repute Zl@tko has a reputation beyond repute Zl@tko has a reputation beyond repute Zl@tko has a reputation beyond repute Zl@tko has a reputation beyond repute Zl@tko has a reputation beyond repute Zl@tko has a reputation beyond repute
Get well soon, Monica!

Zl@tko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote