Your perspective on the experimental format - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 9th, 2014, 02:30 AM   #31
country flag TennisDad

TennisDad is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Your perspective on the experimental format

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
I gather 3 points from the ITA FAQ page:

#1: The experiment is "suppose" to end Feb. 10

#2: Coaches, players, and "spectators" are to be surveyed and this data will be compiled for the Operating Committee to decide what is best

#3: The next options will be to keep the current format, adopting one of the experimental formats or deciding on an
alternative format.

I hope that by all of these comments made in this thread that it is clear that us "spectators" don't want any experimental or alternative formats and let's return immediately to the current format AND for future reference, let's not fix what isn't broken.
I want to thank the ITA and so should some others for making this tournament so exciting with the experimental format. I know most tennis and sport fans don't want to watch a 5 hour college tennis match.

Adopt this format immediately for the student-athletes sake!!!
TennisDad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 9th, 2014, 04:14 AM   #32
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisDad View Post
I want to thank the ITA and so should some others for making this tournament so exciting with the experimental format.
Who are you? AND are you one of the founding fathers who developed the experimental format?

Quote:
I know most tennis and sport fans don't want to watch a 5 hour college tennis match.

Where are you getting your stats from? How do you represent student-athletes? Explain yourself.

I can't think of many true tennis fans that wants to see a third set tie-breaker, unless the match is already decided.

I really don't see what is exciting about the experimental format, unless you are excited to see the match end quickly.

If you want to eat a delicious meal, you don't go to a drive-thru window. On the same note, if want to watch a good tennis match, you don't want an experimental format, unless you just want the match to end quickly, without any consequence to determining who is the most physical and most mentally strong player.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 04:25 AM   #33
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Who are you? AND are you one of the founding fathers who developed the experimental format?

Where are you getting your stats from? How do you represent student-athletes? Explain yourself.

I can't think of many true tennis fans that wants to see a third set tie-breaker, unless the match is already decided.

I really don't see what is exciting about the experimental format, unless you are excited to see the match end quickly.

If you want to eat a delicious meal, you don't go to a drive-thru window. On the same note, if want to watch a good tennis match, you don't want an experimental format, unless you just want the match to end quickly, without any consequence to determining who is the most physical and most mentally strong player.
If I were a student-athlete (I do play tennis for fun weekly), I would hate playing a 3rd set super tiebreaker.

I can however understand how it could be appealing to a fan who doesn't follow tennis regularly.
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #34
country flag TennisDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
If I were a student-athlete (I do play tennis for fun weekly), I would hate playing a 3rd set super tiebreaker.

I can however understand how it could be appealing to a fan who doesn't follow tennis regularly.
When I was a student-athlete (at a small/weak D1 school), I would not have liked a 3rd set super tiebreaker as well but things change.

If you are referring to me as someone who doesn't follow tennis regularly, you are very wrong.
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #35
country flag TennisDad

Quote:

Relax tie_breaker, it is ok for someone to have a different "opinion" than you have.

No I am not a founding father of the experimental format

I don't represent student-athletes, I just have an opinion which obviously you don't agree with which is fine.
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #36
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
When I was a student-athlete (at a small/weak D1 school), I would not have liked a 3rd set super tiebreaker as well but things change.

If you are referring to me as someone who doesn't follow tennis regularly, you are very wrong.
Not referring to you. I think it's safe to assume everyone on this message board is a tennis fan.
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #37
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Relax tie_breaker, it is ok for someone to have a different "opinion" than you have.

No I am not a founding father of the experimental format

I don't represent student-athletes, I just have an opinion which obviously you don't agree with which is fine.

I was just imitating somebody else on this board, if you haven't noticed...
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #38
country flag TennisDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
Not referring to you. I think it's safe to assume everyone on this message board is a tennis fan.
I would agree and it is nice to see these tennis fans be passionate about the sport!
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 03:39 AM   #39
country flag 3gtennis

3gtennis is an unknown quantity at this point

If anyone is worried about student athletes time, come back with this idea after we see the fear from baseball and others from shortened playing time per contest or their four games each week. there doesn't appear to be a what is good for the Goose is good for the Gander from NCAA reps for all sports in my opinion. Oh, at least give us a pro-set for doubles. If one likes tie-breakers, they must be so happy after todays matches they can't see straight.
3gtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #40
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Lauren Herring @LaurenHerring1 said she was completely over 3rd set super tiebreaks
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #41
country flag TennisDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
Lauren Herring @LaurenHerring1 said she was completely over 3rd set super tiebreaks

Not surprising. She just lost the deciding match against UNC in a super tie-breaker.

My daughter says she is completely over tennis after every match she loses, but she goes out and works her butt off the next day every time!
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #42
country flag TennisDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gtennis View Post
If anyone is worried about student athletes time, come back with this idea after we see the fear from baseball and others from shortened playing time per contest or their four games each week. there doesn't appear to be a what is good for the Goose is good for the Gander from NCAA reps for all sports in my opinion. Oh, at least give us a pro-set for doubles. If one likes tie-breakers, they must be so happy after todays matches they can't see straight.
Since I am probably the only one on this board that likes the super tiebreaker format, I will refrain from opposing anything in your comment because of the backlash I will receive.

However, I do agree and wish they would play pro-sets in doubles.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #43
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

Nicholls State beats 50's ranked Tulane.... wins two of these LAME super tie breakers. (And Tulane had just won both second sets).

To TennisDad: There are ways to shorten the day without bastardizing the sport. But deciding individual matches and dual matches with 10 pt super tie breakers is beyond ridiculous.

Then again, perhaps some like to decide a golf tournament that is tied after 14 holes with a 'closest to the pin' shot at # 15 because it's been too long of a long day.

Or maybe in the 7th inning of a baseball game they should revert to 2 strikes and 3 balls to speed things along?

Personally, there is nothing more exciting than a good LONG 4-3 final coming down to a full final set. Pro or college tennis... Excitement and the more fit athlete typically wins. Let them play it out but once a dual match is decided 'maybe' stop the others. I will admit I usually depart when the dual match is decided rather than watch the remaining singles matches.

PS: For those that weren't involved in the early 90's, college tennis used to be even longer. They played singles and then doubles was a full three sets rather than an 8 game pro set.

The ITA qualifiers use the NCAA playoff format and UCLA beat U San Diego (two ranked teams) in less than 2 hours last month. NO third set super tie breakers were involved. Once 4 pts were postted everyone else stopped. Maybe that is the way to go? It would screw up individual rankings/tournament but this super tie breaker thing does that already doesn't it?

But if it's a close dual match, play it out. That is what tennis is. I would not want to be an athlete where the game changes 2/3 of the way through.

Last edited by beachman49 : Feb 10th, 2014 at 03:21 PM.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #44
country flag TennisDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachman49 View Post
Nicholls State beats 50's ranked Tulane.... wins two of these LAME super tie breakers. (And Tulane had just won both second sets).

To TennisDad: There are ways to shorten the day without bastardizing the sport. But deciding individual matches and dual matches with 10 pt super tie breakers is beyond ridiculous.

Then again, perhaps some like to decide a golf tournament that is tied after 14 holes with a 'closest to the pin' shot at # 15 because it's been too long of a long day.

Or maybe in the 7th inning of a baseball game they should revert to 2 strikes and 3 balls to speed things along?

Personally, there is nothing more exciting than a good LONG 4-3 final coming down to a full final set. Pro or college tennis... Excitement and the more fit athlete typically wins. Let them play it out but once a dual match is decided 'maybe' stop the others. I will admit I usually depart when the dual match is decided rather than watch the remaining singles matches.

PS: For those that weren't involved in the early 90's, college tennis used to be even longer. They played singles and then doubles was a full three sets rather than an 8 game pro set.

The ITA qualifiers use the NCAA playoff format and UCLA beat U San Diego (two ranked teams) in less than 2 hours last month. NO third set super tie breakers were involved. Once 4 pts were postted everyone else stopped. Maybe that is the way to go? It would screw up individual rankings/tournament but this super tie breaker thing does that already doesn't it?

But if it's a close dual match, play it out. That is what tennis is. I would not want to be an athlete where the game changes 2/3 of the way through.
Congrats to Nicholls State for winning the big points when it counted!

Claiming the ITA is bastardizing the sport by using super tiebreakers is a little harsh. I think your golf and baseball example are a little far fetched because it changes the game, but it did make me smile. Some people use to think playing an overtime game in college football by starting at the 25-yard line was stupid and some still do, but it is now accepted.

I like a full third set to decide matches as well, especially in an individual event. But this is college team tennis and most of the time it is anti-climatic (6-2 or 6-3 set). This new format makes every third set exciting. Like yesterday, Cal/Duke #6 at 9-9 in the breaker, 3-2 in the team match with Cal about it close out in the other match. What excitement and the match could go either way. Reminded me of watching a last minute FG try in a college football game, in the next minute, either team could win. Or a baseball game with two outs in the 9th, down 1 run and two runners in scoring position. Either team could win in the next "minute", when do you get that in tennis? Only in a super tiebreaker or at 6-6 in a full set breaker. Great drama! Drama you did not usually get when you play out a full third set. You usually get someone trying to close at 5-2 or 5-3 and everyone can tell it is already over. Now I will agree that there are some exceptions.

I agree with it takes the fitness out of the sport a little bit but it does bring out the mental side more. Which is a problem in the women's game.

I played college tennis during the early 90's, so I remember all about that change. We played doubles after singles and I appreciated the 8 game pro-set change.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #45
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

Super tie breakers are a bastardization. It's a complete crap shoot to 10 points.

But in today's AYSO United States, I guess actually being the best is not necessarily required to be a 'winner'.

Your baseball concept made me cry. What is wrong with the US? Where you actually had to be good to win not just find a gimmick.

Here is an idea: Let's really shorten it up. Three super tie breakers for each match. At least it would be the same playing format the entire match. And nobody would be tired.

Your great drama argument is phooey... nobody cares about gimmick drama. It's great drama when it's legitimate drama. PS... ratings go up in those extra inning games, multi overtime hockey games and IN THE LAST SET OF MAJORS. Funny how fans actually attending tennis matches cheer for the trailing opponent to force a final set... they LIKE the drama. Not the 'made for TV' quick finish drama.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote