Your perspective on the experimental format - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 08:57 PM   #16
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all
Re: Your perspective on the experimental format

The Pac12 production is TV quality, much better video quality and transitions than online feeds. From what I can tell, they are able to show all courts with multiple angles, so clearly they have invested in this event. If they replaced the annoying Pac-12 info ticker with running updates on the scores for the other matches in progress (I mean, this is the single most important thing for televised college tennis), it would not be so bad. The commentators seemed knowledgeable about the teams and college tennis, although they did keep calling the experimental 6-game doubles sets "pro sets".
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 04:20 PM   #17
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

So they suggest junking the sport do support maybe 20 TV broadcasts per year (genders combined)?

Dumb. A dozen matches already impacted where the third set super tie breaker has thrown a mickey in results. So in golf when it's tied after 18 holes can we just use a closest to the pin tee shot?

If they are worried about match length, then stop doubles and singles once the dual match is decided. While that screws up athlete records, how is that much worse than handing wins for third set 10 pt victories?

I was at our match the other day which did not play the experimental format as it was a league match. The dual match was decided at 4-0. The final score was 6-1. Even with the last singles match using a super tie break because the team result was decided, completing the last 3 matches did not finish until 55 minutes after the team result was determined.

Not suggesting as a preference but maybe an alternative is the real issue is length of time.

Frankly, the best collegiate tennis matches for spectators are those that come down to the deciding third sets someplace. Just like the 'great' matches at the pro majors are those women's 3 set/ men's 5 set matches that grad audience. It's a real test of the athlete and preparation.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 11:43 PM   #18
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

The first top 10 controversial-experimental-format result is in the books: Texas A&M wins 4-3 at North Carolina, winning each of the 2 super-tiebreaks, including Gavrilovska over Carter 12-10 at #2!

http://goheels.com/fls/3350/tennisstats/xlive.htm
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #19
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSEMT View Post
The first top 10 controversial-experimental-format result is in the books: Texas A&M wins 4-3 at North Carolina, winning each of the 2 super-tiebreaks, including Gavrilovska over Carter 12-10 at #2!

Whoa, nice "win" for A&M!
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 02:23 AM   #20
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSEMT View Post

Clearly, the team winning the 2nd set has enough momentum to cruise and win the super-tiebreak. This also occurred 2 of 3 super-tiebreaks with Rice getting 2 points from Stanford over the weekend.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 02:23 AM   #21
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
Whoa, nice "win" for A&M!
Definitely, big road win
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #22
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
Clearly, the team winning the 2nd set has enough momentum to cruise and win the super-tiebreak. This also occurred 2 of 3 super-tiebreaks with Rice getting 2 points from Stanford over the weekend.
Where did you get that stat?

Too be honest I have observed a majority going the other way. And it has impacted several matches including Oklahoma in a huge match, Utah, LB (a number of times), SJ State and LMU.

Totally disagree with your casual observation.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #23
country flag TennisDad

TennisDad is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I will be in the minority regarding the experimental format because I like it. With the exception of doubles which I think they should play an 8 game pro set (tiebreaker at 7-7). I have a number of thoughts, but here are a few:

1. It's college tennis. This isn't pro tennis and let's face it, college tennis is not a training ground for the pros. If you have the talent to go pro, you will be able to go pro whatever the match format is. What a student-athlete does in a dual match will not determine if they make the pros, it is what they do in practice on a daily basis that will have a much greater effect.
2. I would have loved to be at the Texas A&M/UNC match. Imagine the excitement. #2 match is in a super breaker at 9-9, 10-10, 11-11....UNC (Carter) had match points and chances to win but Texas A&M pulled it out. However, that wasn't the match, UNC still had a chance in the final match at 5-5 in the super breaker. What drama!!!! Let's say they played out the final set. There would have been a very good chance that it would have been anti-climatic. A 6-2 or 6-3 or worse set.
3. I have seen the Oklahoma/Alabama argument a couple of times. Oklahoma would definitely lost 4,5, & 6 if they play out the third set. I guarantee Alabama had them figured out on the second. Having to play a super tiebreaker hurt Alabama. The match came down to Daines at 1 and Jansen at 3. Chances Alabama wins 1 of those matches I would think were greater than 70%. They split them and Alabama won. In my opinion, experimental format had no effect on that match. However, it probably gave Oklahoma a better chance at pulling the upset.

When my child started playing tournaments with match tiebreaks to decide the third set, I hated it. I still think in an individual event a full third set should still be played. However, it is a college "team" event and it definitely adds excitement.

This is just my opinion and I respect and understand the people who feel differently.
TennisDad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #24
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachman49 View Post
Where did you get that stat?

Too be honest I have observed a majority going the other way. And it has impacted several matches including Oklahoma in a huge match, Utah, LB (a number of times), SJ State and LMU.

Totally disagree with your casual observation.
Just commenting on the Texas A&M upset over North Carolina and not a statistical fact or generalized statement.

Last edited by tie_breaker : Feb 5th, 2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #25
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisDad View Post
I guess I will be in the minority regarding the experimental format because I like it. With the exception of doubles which I think they should play an 8 game pro set (tiebreaker at 7-7). I have a number of thoughts, but here are a few:

1. It's college tennis. This isn't pro tennis and let's face it, college tennis is not a training ground for the pros. If you have the talent to go pro, you will be able to go pro whatever the match format is. What a student-athlete does in a dual match will not determine if they make the pros, it is what they do in practice on a daily basis that will have a much greater effect.
2. I would have loved to be at the Texas A&M/UNC match. Imagine the excitement. #2 match is in a super breaker at 9-9, 10-10, 11-11....UNC (Carter) had match points and chances to win but Texas A&M pulled it out. However, that wasn't the match, UNC still had a chance in the final match at 5-5 in the super breaker. What drama!!!! Let's say they played out the final set. There would have been a very good chance that it would have been anti-climatic. A 6-2 or 6-3 or worse set.
3. I have seen the Oklahoma/Alabama argument a couple of times. Oklahoma would definitely lost 4,5, & 6 if they play out the third set. I guarantee Alabama had them figured out on the second. Having to play a super tiebreaker hurt Alabama. The match came down to Daines at 1 and Jansen at 3. Chances Alabama wins 1 of those matches I would think were greater than 70%. They split them and Alabama won. In my opinion, experimental format had no effect on that match. However, it probably gave Oklahoma a better chance at pulling the upset.

When my child started playing tournaments with match tiebreaks to decide the third set, I hated it. I still think in an individual event a full third set should still be played. However, it is a college "team" event and it definitely adds excitement.

This is just my opinion and I respect and understand the people who feel differently.
I agree that it adds excitement, especially if it is the final match and all eyes are glued to this match.

My only casual observation in a team match is that with all other matches going on that the super-tiebreaker could end so quickly before getting a chance to see it. If all the matches were played at different intervals, I wouldn't mind the new format, but with matches all played at the same time, it becomes more challenging to watch the outcome of the matches.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #26
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

I strongly oppose the changes. All my points have already been made. Looking at the UNC/A&M score makes me cringe and pretty sad That match should have been given the justice of playing out a third set. Between two top 10 teams are you joking? Shame.

Tie_breaker makes a good point. Many facility setups would make it very difficult to see different super tiebreaks being played at once.
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #27
country flag TennisDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
I agree that it adds excitement, especially if it is the final match and all eyes are glued to this match.

My only casual observation in a team match is that with all other matches going on that the super-tiebreaker could end so quickly before getting a chance to see it. If all the matches were played at different intervals, I wouldn't mind the new format, but with matches all played at the same time, it becomes more challenging to watch the outcome of the matches.
I agree. I was watching the UVA/South Carolina match online Sunday and the #3 match was in a 3rd set super-tiebreaker while #5 was 3-2 in the second and #6 was 5-2. Luckily I had a couple of windows open and could watch them all. If I were there, it would have been crazy. "where do I go? "whats going on" and I probably would have missed the super tiebreaker at #3.

The new format will cause this more often as you mentioned because some matches will go 6-1 2-6 and be over while another match that you are engaged in is 7-5 1-1 and you miss the super-tiebreaker.

I also think one of the great things about college tennis is when all eyes are on the final match with both teams on the next court cheering. The new format could hurt that a little.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #28
country flag TennisDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
I strongly oppose the changes. All my points have already been made. Looking at the UNC/A&M score makes me cringe and pretty sad That match should have been given the justice of playing out a third set. Between two top 10 teams are you joking? Shame.

Tie_breaker makes a good point. Many facility setups would make it very difficult to see different super tiebreaks being played at once.
I'm not aware of your other points, but I imagine they are legitimate points.

You look at the score line as sad and I see what had to be an exciting match that was enjoyed by the fans that attended. Well maybe not totally enjoyed because it was at UNC.

Tie_breaker does make a good point, but the same problem exist when 3 or 4 matches are 5-4 or 6-5 in a set at the same time. How do you watch all of them at once? You don't, you watch the scoreboard.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #29
country flag Kirijax

Kirijax is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not like the changes at all. The third set super tiebreak or whatever changes the whole game. It was a physical and mental battle in the third set. Now it's just a mental battle.

That being said, I want college tennis to prosper and be more accessible to fans. Some changes have to be made and it's good that they're trying to figure it out. But this is the same group that tried to force it down our throats a couple years ago before we protested like crazy. This is also the group that figure out how to set up a competent scoreboard system that anyone can follow with trust. I have my doubts they will be able to figure it out.
Kirijax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #30
country flag tie_breaker

I gather 3 points from the ITA FAQ page:

#1: The experiment is "suppose" to end Feb. 10

#2: Coaches, players, and "spectators" are to be surveyed and this data will be compiled for the Operating Committee to decide what is best

#3: The next options will be to keep the current format, adopting one of the experimental formats or deciding on an
alternative format.

I hope that by all of these comments made in this thread that it is clear that us "spectators" don't want any experimental or alternative formats and let's return immediately to the current format AND for future reference, let's not fix what isn't broken.