Your perspective on the experimental format - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 25th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #1
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Your perspective on the experimental format

Opening this thread to talk about the fan's perspective on the format experiment. This is how I felt at the opening day match for the Stanford Cardinal, current NCAA champion.

The change in format didn't really effect anything result wise, but it seemed very weird that they started playing without a warm-up between players.

There was almost no indication that they were starting, so the crowd is still standing and talking until people realized that the match had already started about three points ago.

The doubles matches were also too short. Doubles was too short for the likes of the audience and too short for creating good sports interest and drama.

Finally, the whole match took about 2 hours. What a waste of time. I took an an hour to drive there, and an hour back, and for that amount of time investment we just got two hours of condensed tennis.

Plus there wasn't enough "intermission" time to talk to my tennis fan friends. Continuous activity sports (!baseball), such as soccer, football, basketball, all have an intermission, (hockey has two) and they have now removed that from NCAA experimental format tennis. Give us our intermission time back between singles and doubles by returning the warmup.

From the opening match experience, I wished that they had not made these changes.

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Jan 25th, 2014 at 09:15 PM.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 26th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #2
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your perspective on the experimental format

I do communications for the mens tennis team at Ohio State (and I'll further elaborate on my opion on my blog). Having the 10 point tiebreaker is so wrong. The match result can be on luck and not on skill/talent/endurance. Doubles is too short. Make it a pro set, no-ad (doubles is no-ad on the pro tour) and have a tiebreaker at 7-7 instead of 8-8. As always, suspend play when the point is clinched. As for singles, I don't know how to make it shorter, but normal scoring is fine and either suspend play or make the remaining play out 10 pointers if they split sets. I do kind of like the idea of playing lets. Ohio State (#72) played Baylor (#19) and half of the singles went to a 10 pointer (went 1-2). They played Miami this weekend (#9) and 5/6 matches went to a 10 pointer and we lost 4-2. Could the result been different if full sets were played? Absolutely. For the guys, I find play a bit too quick, but OSU hasn't been tested yet so that could be it. I don't like the tiebreaks at 5-all and no-ad is a bit on luck sometimes.

College tennis isn't going to get a bunch of new fans because of the format. Tennis fans come watch and stay for the match. Changing the format changes that fun experience that got me into college tennis (a full-on 4-3 battle between two rivals). I hope they learn in February that they shouldn't fix what isn't broken.

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #3
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

I have no intention of attending a match while these formats are in place. It's really pretty hard to take seriously. Seeing the men's matches with 6-5 scores make me cringe.

From the results I've seen, most of the matches during kickoff weekend have been completed in about 2 hours. So I guess it's a huge success
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #4
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSEMT View Post
I have no intention of attending a match while these formats are in place. It's really pretty hard to take seriously. Seeing the men's matches with 6-5 scores make me cringe.

From the results I've seen, most of the matches during kickoff weekend have been completed in about 2 hours. So I guess it's a huge success

It does seem that the changes for the men are more likely to change the result than for the women.

@tennisbuddy,

What your wrote has much support for how it effects the athletes. I was trying for a separate discussion for how the experiment effects the fans. It seems that NCAA biggies have already demonstrated they don't care as much about what the athletes think,as what the fans think. That these changes are made to benefit the fans at the expense of the athletes. So I am want to ask, do the fans feel that they are getting a benefit. My answer from one match was no.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #5
country flag 3gtennis

3gtennis is an unknown quantity at this point

this doubles is just awful. when all you have to do is sit around and think up stuff, think about something that is not going to hurt the college tennis match experience.
3gtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #6
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

Total joke. Let's have a closest to the pin shot to decide golf too.

On the women's side, there have been a number of 'upsets' already due to the 3rd set being eliminated. And in many cases the second set winner who won easily lost the super tie breaker.

If the true goal is to shorten the dual matches, then pull the unfinished matches in doubles and singles. First to four wins. That would shave time. Yes it would require a completely revamped national championship in singles and doubles but this situation is worse.

And our sport loses all credibility with the general public.

The clown asst AD at UNM who is pushing this is lazy and trying to career build. Show me an AD that just wants to make change for making his mark and I'll show you someone that needs to find new work.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #7
country flag 3gtennis

have heard that to use high enough quality cameras to meet network and conference expectations, the cost of televising a college match looks to be way too high to meet standards. The # of those cameras per tennis event is the factor. Just televise some matches on a SHORT, delayed basis so some time is cut out to reach their time goals. You could begin 30 minutes late and edit as you go. This would give the Big 10, PAC 12, SEC, Longhorn or other future conference networks their needed matches so that tennis is somewhat covered. Maybe one rivalry match for each conference school. Leave the others to online video where we do not expect the quality to meet ESPN HD. And of course give us back the most high intensity & exciting part--doubles! QSCT
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #8
country flag 2nd_serve

In the twisted logic of the ITA FAQ they have proactively dealt with problematic [] spectator attendance, physical stress on the student-athletes, and TV opportunities, and Roger Federer changed his equipment to support their experiment in college tennis.

Quote:
As Larry Scott, Pac-12 Commissioner and one of the most respected voices in tennis has said, “Change is
in the air. You can either lead, or wait to be led.” It has been suggested that if the ITA can’t agree on a
format that would keep most Division I matches around three hours in a reasonable way, others may do
it for us in an unreasonable way. Even Roger Federer, considered by some as the greatest men’s player
of all-time, is in the midst of changing his equipment to keep up with the times.

Hey, if Roger Federer is changing his equipment to support these changes in college tennis, who am I to say anything different. Perhaps, I should take back my commentary.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 02:39 AM   #9
country flag 3gtennis

I don't think I remember what the average time for a baseball game is. Refresh us someone . let's see -- they only play a midweek game and three on the weekend.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 02:44 AM   #10
country flag 2nd_serve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gtennis View Post
I don't think I remember what the average time for a baseball game is. Refresh us someone . let's see -- they only play a midweek game and three on the weekend.
Is it fair to compare the physical stress of the baseball student athlete during a game with a tennis student athlete during a match?
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 04:54 AM   #11
country flag 3gtennis

No. Running vs little running. The time factor, travel factor and loss of class or study time is definitely part of their code talk. They can switch from that to TV time or make it shorter for spectators depending on their audience or whim.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #12
country flag desariofan

desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold

its a complete joke and stupid. period
desariofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 07:16 AM   #13
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

With 6 single matches being played at the same time, there will be less opportunities to watch each of the matches, given the 3rd set tie-breaker. In fact, those tie-breakers may be played and decided before there's time to move to the respective court. It will take all the drama away and the match may be decided by watching the scoreboard only and not live tennis. Against closely ranked teams, any team can win.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 07:53 PM   #14
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

Watching the GA/UCLA men's match on P12 TV and my only thought is that it is kind of similar to watching a basketball game with the camera zoomed in on one player the entire time and no scoreboard. Why the heck would anyone want to watch a team sporting event on TV where you can't even tell who's winning?
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 09:00 PM   #15
country flag 3gtennis

Cameras on each court? HD quality? Method of going from one court to another? --guess no way it could even exist except on computer. That quality issue and it's price tag big topic in other conferences. Don't know about PAC 12.