Justine is more talented than Serena - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:16 PM   #1
Fortis

Fortis is just really nice Fortis is just really nice Fortis is just really nice Fortis is just really nice Fortis is just really nice Fortis is just really nice Fortis is just really nice Fortis is just really nice Fortis is just really nice Fortis is just really nice Fortis is just really nice
Justine is more talented than Serena

During the match at the Family Circle Cup, I noticed that Justine hit some shots that Serena Williams could only dream about. For one shot Justine was on one leg as she jumped to hit a cross court winner. Serena didn't know what to do with some of Justine's strokes.

I have always thought that Justine was super-talented. Justine showed Serena how to play tennis yesterday. Getting back out of a 3-0 hole in the first set and 3-1 in the second while facing breakpoints was no easy feat.

It is easy for Serena to beat Lindsay and Capriati because they do not move well in comparison to players like Henin.

When I saw how easily Henin dispatched Ashley H. I knew that she would have beaten Serena. What I didn't expect was that she would break Serena was so often. Well done. Talent triumphed over power. It was nice to see.

Last edited by Fortis : Apr 14th, 2003 at 11:42 PM.
Fortis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:22 PM   #2
country flag kell

kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough
That's a pretty big call to make...but I reluctantly, kind-of agree with you. Justine probably does have more talent, but Serena is still the better player, just because she has so much power, and you really need that to be no.1. You have to dominate in size and strength, not just play beautiful tennis.

But yeah, I see what you mean. Talent doesn't normally triumph over power, so it was refeshing to see. This isn't to say that Serena isn't talented...she's incredibly talented as well. She's just lucky (and has worked hard) enough to have the physique to back it up.

ALICIA FOR PRIME MINISTER
kell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:23 PM   #3
o0O0o

o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point
The Williams sisters are poorly skilled players who would just make horrible coaches. The only reason they are on top is because of their manly physique. Let's face it, they are just terrible at volleying, slicing, lobs, drop shots, and most technical aspects of the game. If Henin or Hingis for example had their athleticism, height, and genetic build, they would have won 50 Grand Slams.
o0O0o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:24 PM   #4
Hendouble

Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point
It's highly possible, maybe even probable, but ultimately Serena is the better player because she can overwhelm the opponent with her game and is mentally tough throughout her matches, something that still cannot be said of Justine. Because Henin prefers to use her opponent's pace rather than generate her own, she still struggles a lot against the slice-and-dice, topspin clay merchants who try junking her around and play heavy, deep, looping balls to the baseline. Mind you, she is the one who thrashed Martinez 1 and 0 at Wimbledon in 2001, so she knows how to handle some of those sorts of players.

And I would argue that while Davenport is impeded by her mobility against Serena, it isn't Capriati's lack of speed that lets her down, it's her serve and obvious mental frailties, which were vividly exposed in the two crucial matches they played on clay last year, at Rome and the French Open, where she blew big leads and lost the match.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:26 PM   #5
country flag kell

kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0O0o
The Williams sisters are poorly skilled players who would just make horrible coaches. The only reason they are on top is because of their manly physique. Let's face it, they are just terrible at volleying, slicing, lobs, drop shots, and most technical aspects of the game. If Henin or Hingis for example had their athleticism, height, and genetic build, they would have won 50 Grand Slams.
You've gotta be kidding!! "Poorly skilled"!?!?! Their physique certainly helps them but you do not get to no.1 or even the top 10 without incredible amounts of talent! If what you're saying is true, any large, strong, muscular woman with a bit of practice on the courts could kick ass in tennis.

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:26 PM   #6
country flag SJW

SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute
LOL personally i think Serena is the most talented person out there

thats why she HAS one slams IS number one etc.

Justine has yet to conquer all surfaces and be CONSISTENT on them (something the three above her plus others in the top 10) have done..

IMO u r better cos u r more talented. as in any sport (i dont see why this is any different)

re. Serena dreaming...does Justine dream about hitting 120 mph serves, going on unbeaten streaks, and winning 4 slams in a row (or any slams for that matter)

make no mistake, i think she is an AMAZING talent (Justine)

but this has gotta stop

(sorry if this sounded bitchy but its been one of those weekends)
SJW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:27 PM   #7
country flag ▀coene

▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future
I'm not saying you are wrong, but you can't judge by just seeing this match.
I'm sure that Serena will play a lot better by Roland Garros.
I knew that the first clay tournemant for Serena would be the moment to beat her.
▀coene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:29 PM   #8
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
Must be some powerful acid going around wherever you are o0O0o , because you are seriously deluded .
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:29 PM   #9
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute
I would have to agree. although talent isn't everything. i think justine will still need to improve to get to the level of PLAYING serena and venus are in. justine is overwhelmingly talented probably the most right now in the top 10. she's got the variety and the skills to show off this talent but the fact that she isn't more muscular and taller kinda prevents her from winning more often in american hardcourts. that's probably why clay and grass are her best surfaces: they slow down the ball which allows her to do more with the ball and show off her talent.
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:31 PM   #10
country flag SJW

SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0O0o
and if u werent such an idiot you would know shit comes outta ur backside, not ur brain

no go back and put ur white hood and robe on Mr Man
SJW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:31 PM   #11
o0O0o

o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point o0O0o is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, if you run through the list of learned skills, as opposed to natural gifts (speed, power, height), the Williams sisters place last on the top 10 in every category.

Volleys
Drop Shots
Slicing
Defensive lobs
Offensive lobs
Placement
Shot consistence
SERVE*

As you can see, as far as skills are concerned they suck at everything except Serena's serve. Technically, Venus' sucks and would suck more if it weren't for her physical gifts.

It blows my mind that such trashy players can leap frog everyone just by running faster and hitting harder, but stranger stuff has happened.
o0O0o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:31 PM   #12
country flag ▀coene

▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future
I'm sure Serena's serve, forehand and backhand are good technical, otherwise she couldn't hit them so hard in court.
▀coene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:32 PM   #13
country flag kell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti2001
Must be some powerful acid going around wherever are o0O0o , because you are seriously deluded .
lol

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:32 PM   #14
country flag vaiva

vaiva has disabled reputation
If you claim that one player is more talented than the other, you must have a definition of talent, right?

Mind to tell us what is talent? I mean, tennis-wise
vaiva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:33 PM   #15
Hendouble

Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point
They're obviously towards the upper end of the game talent-wise, but we don't see much of it because they don't often have to use it in matches - superior power and movement are usually enough to indicate the inevitable gap in class between them and most of their opponents. I've only seen them play doubles against the unfortunate pair of Ruano Pascual and Suarez, and the majority of their points were won by brute force and athleticism at the net, not by any clever exchange of shots. I'm sure they could display more skill if they had to, but then to be honest in tennis as a whole, few players need to show off a wide array of talents and abilities to win matches when an established game-plan is enough.