IPTL (and IPL, ISL) is India's war on colonial sports - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 14th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #1
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
IPTL (and IPL, ISL) is India's war on colonial sports

IPTL, IPL(cricket) and ISL(football) are shorter formats for the three sports designed by indians to attract masses all over the world and divert them from mainstream formats......

let's talk about tennis only here......IPTL is not as small as it seems at the moment, it is going to be the backbone of business in tennis you guys wait and watch......just when were suffering from weak era and vacuum left by the stars of 90's, ITF came up with tactics like surfaces homogenization which paved way for superstars......the current big three are so big in tennis that they have become a sort of a problem as well to tennis......how? well, you cannot imagine the sport without nadal, fed and djoko......their retirements are going to be a big blow to tennis......

and that is where this IPTL chips in......legends this year who seemed to be like jokers on court in the debut edition could be crowd pullers in 5 years time in the form of retired nadal, retired fed and retired djoko......your dimitrovs, harrissons, youngs etc. won't be the ones who will be carrying the sport forward......

same thing happened in cricket......global superstars started retiring and the time was right in 2008 to divert the masses from mainstream formats and divert the flow of funds as well......

time is a valuable aspect of people's life and more so in this fast generation......not many have got the patience to go through 5 grinding sets on homogenous surfaces with the same old ages old rules......

concepts like IPTL cash-in exactly on that......these crowd pleasing concepts accomplish two things for the capitalists who are behind these giant shows -

1) excessive money to the extent of draining out everyone involved in the administrative and economic fronts of the sport and there by creating a dependency for them......the administrators of these sports can't look beyond these rulers.....it's already happening in cricket, india rules the cricket world now, soon tennis and football too could follow who knows......

2) weakening the colonial spirit by weakening their sports......

i see all this as a war on colonial sports and thereby their spirit......you can dig up this thread in 5 years time and see for yourself what i said......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 14th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #2
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IPTL (and IPL, ISL) is India's war on colonial sports

One thing the IPTL made clear is how star driven tennis is.
When Nadal had his operation and couldnt play, they were willing to pay Federer a ton! Some estimates are $4 million for 2 days.
They started with Sharapova & Murray in Manila. Brought in Serena day 3 to keep the newness going.
That was their strategy. New stars to start every venue, & bring in another star on day 3 to keep interest levels high
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #3
country flag fufuqifuqishahah
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
One thing the IPTL made clear is how star driven tennis is.
When Nadal had his operation and couldnt play, they were willing to pay Federer a ton! Some estimates are $4 million for 2 days.
They started with Sharapova & Murray in Manila. Brought in Serena day 3 to keep the newness going.
That was their strategy. New stars to start every venue, & bring in another star on day 3 to keep interest levels high
this seems to be the case with many sports, though I feel it may be even more pronounced in solitary sports such as tennis
Old Dec 14th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #4
country flag eldanielfire

eldanielfire has much to be proud of eldanielfire has much to be proud of eldanielfire has much to be proud of eldanielfire has much to be proud of eldanielfire has much to be proud of eldanielfire has much to be proud of eldanielfire has much to be proud of eldanielfire has much to be proud of eldanielfire has much to be proud of eldanielfire has much to be proud of eldanielfire has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufuqifuqishahah View Post
this seems to be the case with many sports, though I feel it may be even more pronounced in solitary sports such as tennis
Indeed. Team sports always have the brand to keep going thus have locked in followers. In individual sports when someone retires, their fans aren't certain to move to another and a new star starts from scratch, they don't always inherit a club/region/franchaise/brands fans by default.
eldanielfire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #5
country flag Rodzilla

Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future

at india maybe going to rule the football world, are you insane?

worst case scenario in this tennis situation if they can sustain the money would be that the top superstars would probably take an early retirement if they estimate that they have enough name value to continue to be selected for years to come (sharapova, serena), but tennis is not cricket and football is definitely not cricket, there is money in these games

and btw even in cricket you can see that test cricket is still the premium form of the game with all the top talent and it was a fantastic 1st test, its something the IPL cannot provide
Rodzilla is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #6
country flag laurie

laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute

The interesting thing here is that Muhesh Bhupati is a player (retired or still playing?) And Kerry Packer who revolutionized cricket was just a straight up businessman.

So you wonder what Muhesh Bhupati's motives are? Players complain about long season and then play this strange event for weeks on end after the season for lots of money. Crowds didn't seem big to me what I saw on television on the odd occasion I bothered to check it out.

Start Da Game might be onto something with his theory. I hope tennis isn't reduced to this where people with no attention span are dicating how the sport goes; like cricket is with 20 overs a side which you know we used to play at school!

http://www.classictennismatches.net/
laurie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #7
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I would have preferred they use regular tennis rules. But I think they copied WTT, who try to speed things up and dont play 2 of 3. And WTT counts a let serve. So IPTL added a clock & other gimmicks.
The question is whether its a successful longterm league. Its a great deal for stars, they get huge appearance fees. But the owners need a profit to sustain it

Old Dec 15th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #8
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
IPTL, IPL(cricket) and ISL(football) are shorter formats for the three sports designed by indians to attract masses all over the world and divert them from mainstream formats......

let's talk about tennis only here......IPTL is not as small as it seems at the moment, it is going to be the backbone of business in tennis you guys wait and watch......just when were suffering from weak era and vacuum left by the stars of 90's, ITF came up with tactics like surfaces homogenization which paved way for superstars......the current big three are so big in tennis that they have become a sort of a problem as well to tennis......how? well, you cannot imagine the sport without nadal, fed and djoko......their retirements are going to be a big blow to tennis......

and that is where this IPTL chips in......legends this year who seemed to be like jokers on court in the debut edition could be crowd pullers in 5 years time in the form of retired nadal, retired fed and retired djoko......your dimitrovs, harrissons, youngs etc. won't be the ones who will be carrying the sport forward......

same thing happened in cricket......global superstars started retiring and the time was right in 2008 to divert the masses from mainstream formats and divert the flow of funds as well......

time is a valuable aspect of people's life and more so in this fast generation......not many have got the patience to go through 5 grinding sets on homogenous surfaces with the same old ages old rules......

concepts like IPTL cash-in exactly on that......these crowd pleasing concepts accomplish two things for the capitalists who are behind these giant shows -

1) excessive money to the extent of draining out everyone involved in the administrative and economic fronts of the sport and there by creating a dependency for them......the administrators of these sports can't look beyond these rulers.....it's already happening in cricket, india rules the cricket world now, soon tennis and football too could follow who knows......

2) weakening the colonial spirit by weakening their sports......

i see all this as a war on colonial sports and thereby their spirit......you can dig up this thread in 5 years time and see for yourself what i said......

Just be glad no nation with athletic ability has taken any interest in Cricket or it would end up like India´s world domination of Field Hockey.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #9
country flag Nalby fan

Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
Just be glad no nation with athletic ability has taken any interest in Cricket or it would end up like India´s world domination of Field Hockey.
The group of Carribean islands that make up the West Indies have a ridiculous amount of athletic ability. Look how Jamaica dominates the sprinting events for starters.
Nalby fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #10
country flag goldenlox

I wonder if IPTL approached Li Na. If they want to expand into China, which seems logical, Li would make a lot of sense.
Maybe KN if they want a team in Tokyo.
If they can make this player friendly, so stars want to play at less $ than this initial year, they might have something that lasts.
I hope they rethink all the gimmicks, and play regular tennis

Old Dec 15th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #11
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
Hardly. Twenty20 cricket started in England in 2003, 3½ years before the IPL. The IPTL format is copied from World Team tennis in the USA which has been going for decades. The no-ad scoring system that the IPTL uses has been used in doubles for a number of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I wonder if IPTL approached Li Na. If they want to expand into China, which seems logical, Li would make a lot of sense.
Maybe KN if they want a team in Tokyo.
If they can make this player friendly, so stars want to play at less $ than this initial year, they might have something that lasts.
I hope they rethink all the gimmicks, and play regular tennis
I can't see that happening. Part of the attraction for marquee players is that they can turn up, fool around on court for 15-20 minutes a few times and trouser a 6 (or even 7) figure pay check. Asking them to play a series of proper matches throughout the off-season would probably result in a roster of players that the casual fans have barely heard of.

There are two reasons why I don't see the IPTL being anything more than a hit and giggle exo. The first is the no-ad scoring system which, unlike the shortened format of the IPL, was designed not to entertain the public but to shorten doubles matches to appease TV channels. It's a "get this shit over quickly so we can show something people want to watch" format. Unfortunately, it takes away the most entertaining part of the game, the multiple deuce battles where matches are decided.

The other reason is that, unlike the IPL, the countries hosting this don't produce tennis players of note for the home fans to root for. India, Thailand, the Philippines and Singapore have, as far as I'm aware, amassed one GS singles quarter final appearance between them in the last 4 decades. It's not quite the same as Indian cricket fans turning out to cheer on Sachin Tendulkar.

It's added a bit of structure to off-season hit and giggle exos while at the same time making them less physically demanding for the players, who spend far less time on court. I suppose that's no bad thing.

Last edited by bobito : Dec 15th, 2014 at 06:35 PM.
bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #12
country flag laurie

laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalby fan View Post
The group of Carribean islands that make up the West Indies have a ridiculous amount of athletic ability. Look how Jamaica dominates the sprinting events for starters.
And the West Indies dominated cricket for 15 years

http://www.classictennismatches.net/
laurie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #13
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

India has less chance of dominating the world of sport than you do of learning how to use a goddam ellipsis.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote