I think Berlin would be a better choice as capital of the EU - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 12:30 AM   #1
country flag Josh
Team WTAworld
Administrator
aka Nibbler

Josh has disabled reputation
I think Berlin would be a better choice as capital of the EU

With its history of division, its central location in the EU with the accession of the new member states and the many construction projects in the city, I believe Berlin would be perfect. Brussels is really too small and will lose its central location when the new Eastern members join the Union in 2004.

Any Berliners (or others) with some thoughts?
Advertisement

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 01:23 AM   #2
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Well about 3 years ago I read that Berlin and Germany would eventually become the centre (physically and politically) of EU. Because of its position, economy and population. I think it makes sense and can only be a good thing.
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 01:31 AM   #3
country flag ~ The Leopard ~

~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute
You guys would be crazy to put it in a major city in one of the major countries. The symbolism is all wrong; it would generate a huge backlash from the other major countries.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 01:40 AM   #4
country flag vaiva

vaiva has disabled reputation
And minor countries as well

Economy of Germany, Sam L? You meant the ailing one?

Last edited by vaiva : Apr 12th, 2003 at 02:01 AM.
vaiva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 01:41 AM   #5
country flag kiwifan

kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute
Question Why would there be backlash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouissant
You guys would be crazy to put it in a major city in one of the major countries. The symbolism is all wrong; it would generate a huge backlash from the other major countries.
You're all Euros now, right?

It seems like a logical move to me.

Don't you trust the Germans?

"Reunited" - Peaches & Herb

I was there when the ALL BLACKS won the World Cup in 2011!!!

"I don't know that I changed all that much. They just found somebody worse." - Aging tennis bad boy Jimmy Connors, referring to John McEnroe, in 1984.

There can never be too many "Sister Slams!"
kiwifan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 01:43 AM   #6

~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute
We are? You mean Australia is joining!

Seriously, it would be like making Melbourne or Sydney the capital here, instead of Canberra. The people of the other major city would probably revolt.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 01:47 AM   #7
country flag vaiva

vaiva has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouissant
We are? You mean Australia is joining!
You obviously are not reading the papers

Althought it won't be with the first wave of expansion
vaiva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 01:50 AM   #8

lol @vaiva
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 01:50 AM   #9
country flag Central
Team WTAworld

Central has disabled reputation
I think it should be Zurich or Geneva

- - - -

I procrastinate, therefore I exist

When you were here before, couldn't look you in the eye
You're just like an angel, your skin makes me cry
You float like a feather In a beautiful world
And I wish I was special You're so fucking special
Central is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 01:54 AM   #10
G-Ha

G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future G-Ha has a brilliant future
Interesting idea, but as others have mentioned, I don't think many other countries would like the idea of Berlin as the capital. And I don't think it would just be the "major" countries like France that would protest (although they would). The smaller countries would probably look to that as further proof that they are going to be dominated by the larger countries. I think that's why the capital is currently in a "safer" place like Belgium.

Also, vaiva, Germany's economy is currently ailing (as are the economies of many other countries in the region, not to mention Japan and other nations) but Germany is still the economic powerhouse of Europe. In fact, last I checked Germany had the world's 3rd largest economy and even outperformed the US and Japan in certain areas.
G-Ha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 03:22 AM   #11
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
Berlin is bankrupt.
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #12
country flag per4ever
Team WTAworld

per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of
brussels is neutral...they'll never change to berlin
per4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #13
country flag gentenaire

gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute gentenaire has a reputation beyond repute
Like Joui said and like I said in the Eurotard thread, it's better to have a smaller city as capital. Canberra, Ottawa, Washington, not Sydney or Melbourne, Toronto, NY.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 10:13 AM   #14
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
something like Luxembourg would do
then no one would get mad as everyone would be content
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 10:24 AM   #15
propi

propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think it may happen, it'd be too expensive, furthermore I can't speak much German, so I prefer it stays in Brussels
Du temps
"

propi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote