Switching from natural gut to hybrids - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 12th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #1
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Switching from natural gut to hybrids

New year, new strings. After a few years on natural gut, I decided to switch to hybrids and had my first hit. Wow, what a big change.

The hybrid was poly/synthetic gut. All Babolat strings.

The positive: I love the control. Makes a huge difference on my forehand and serve. I got so much more spin and it actually made me really confident.

The negative: I can't feel anything! I used to love the sweet sound of hitting the sweet spot and feeling the ball and knowing exactly where I'm going to place it.

I had it strung slightly lower at 55/58 lbs compared to 58 lbs for natural gut.

Has anyone else made the switch? I read that these polys don't hold tension.

I will have to play a lot more to get a better decision but I think I should've gone with poly/natural. It was too big a transition.

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 12th, 2014, 03:39 AM   #2
country flag MMJSL

MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switching from natural gut to hybrids

I switched from Babolat VS Touch at 57 lbs to Luxilon 4G at 47 lbs.

It's been amazing.

The only thing better about the gut was the way it pocketed the ball and felt like I was pushing it in the direction I wanted it to go. It felt like the ball stayed on the strings for so long with the gut.

With the 4G, it feels different, but the control, spin and power it gave me at 47 lbs was enough to make me switch. My cross court shots were better and I could hit targets better. It's not better at the net though. And it's also more affordable.

Wozniacki. Stosur. Jankovic. Halep.
Venus. Stephens. Hampton. Bouchard. Bencic.
Seles. Henin. Davenport. Hingis. Clijsters.
MMJSL is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 03:51 AM   #3
country flag MMJSL

MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute

I should also say that Luxilon 4G hold its tension very well.

Old Jan 12th, 2014, 05:39 AM   #4
country flag xr6turbo
Veelieve.

xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute

I use Luxilon 4G as well. You get used to poly after a while, but I agree, at first it feels like you are hitting with no feel at all. I usually get it strung at about 60lbs though because I have long fast swings.

"I want to do things on my own terms, I can't have anything take me out.
I have never given up and it's important for me to prove to myself that I can do this, and to prove to me that i'm a champion.
If I were just to sit down, lay down and give in, then I wouldn't have any respect for myself."
VW
xr6turbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #5
country flag aussiesharapova

aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute

I went from full bed of gut to full poly to gut/poly hybrid and I haven't looked back. A tonne of different experiences, though I've loved them all.

I've used a Nat Gut/RPM Blast hybrid for the last 9 months. It obviously ain't cheap, but for me level stays consistent for a solid couple of months before the poly dies (I don't break strings) and it lasts longer than a full bed of Gut.
Feel and touch is amazing, and power is definitely there.
I would still be using this hybrid right now, but I'm testing out another multi until then.

I'm thinking of trying a Gut/Yonex PTP hybrid as I've used YPTP in a full bed and its comfortable, it holds tension and stays playable for a good 2-3 months.
Q. Thai girl.
JJ: Tiger?
Q. Tanasugarn.
« ᴠɪsɪᴛ ᴍʏ ʙʟᴏɢ ғᴏʀ ᴀʟʟ ᴍʏ ᴍᴀᴛᴄʜ ʜɪɢʜʟɪɢʜᴛs !! - тwιттᴇʀ »

Last edited by aussiesharapova : Jan 27th, 2014 at 06:56 AM.
aussiesharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #6
country flag MMJSL

^^ RPM blast can last you months? I used it in a full bed and it didn't last me 2 hours. It died very fast. I guess it has to do with the hybrid. But no string held its tension longer for me than natural gut. Those strings broke before the tension dropped.

Old Jan 12th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #7
country flag aussiesharapova

aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute aussiesharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJSL View Post
^^ RPM blast can last you months? I used it in a full bed and it didn't last me 2 hours. It died very fast. I guess it has to do with the hybrid. But no string held its tension longer for me than natural gut. Those strings broke before the tension dropped.
Well the natural gut keeps the hybrid playable, but yeah RPM blast does die pretty fast. I also tried RPM team in the crosses with gut and it holds tension a little longer than RPM Blast though after it dies, the whole stringbed feels like a board and its so hard on the arm.
With RPM blast, I hadn't felt any discomfort what so ever even after a few months, though when I first tried the hybrid, the gut broke after 3 months.
Q. Thai girl.
JJ: Tiger?
Q. Tanasugarn.
« ᴠɪsɪᴛ ᴍʏ ʙʟᴏɢ ғᴏʀ ᴀʟʟ ᴍʏ ᴍᴀᴛᴄʜ ʜɪɢʜʟɪɢʜᴛs !! - тwιттᴇʀ »
aussiesharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #8
country flag ¤CharlDa¤
Team WTAworld

¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using the poly/synthetic hybrid for a while, and I love it.

1) Much cheaper than natural or 100% poly.
2) More durable than 100% synt (and mains are usually the ones breaking).

Have you thought about having different tensions in the poly and the synt? I usually go 52 in main, 54 in cross, and it made a big difference than 53/54 all accross the board.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #9
country flag charmedRic
Rican In The Burgh

charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute

I've been playing with different hybrid set-ups for a while, but my most recent set-up is a full bed of Dunlop Black Widow at 48 pounds.

Thinking about playing around with Ashaway MonoGut ZX.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #10
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the suggestions. They suggested natural gut/Luxilon 4g. I should've gone with that. I made too big a switch I think.

I've played a few more times now and I definitely don't like the feel. I'm too used to the way gut pockets the ball. It makes a huge difference when I'm trying to generate a lot of topspin because I need that feel.

I have RPM Blast/Synthetic at 55/58. Blast on the mains. That probably makes it worse because it's like a direct opposite of a full bed gut.

Well, it was a cheap switch. I'm going to try gut/luxilon next.

Old Jan 17th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #11
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Quote:
I should also say that Luxilon 4G hold its tension very well.
Thanks I'll try it next because this is very important for me.

Old Jan 17th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #12
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¤CharlDa¤ View Post
I've been using the poly/synthetic hybrid for a while, and I love it.

1) Much cheaper than natural or 100% poly.
2) More durable than 100% synt (and mains are usually the ones breaking).

Have you thought about having different tensions in the poly and the synt? I usually go 52 in main, 54 in cross, and it made a big difference than 53/54 all accross the board.
I have different tensions as mentioned above. I like the idea of hybrids and I'll keep to it but I think I have to try different things before I find the right one.

Old Jan 19th, 2014, 08:55 AM   #13
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute

I play with the yonex poly tour spin in the full ed and it's a really great control and spin string. I have hard flat shots so the zero power it gives so it's good but idk I'm about to restring em both and I have an itching to test out a hybrid. I could use just a tad more pop I think wouldn't hurt. Idk. I just feel like playing around.

Any suggestions?

Victoria Azarenka ~ Venus Williams
Maria Kirilenko ~ Petra Kvitova
VeeJJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #14
country flag JoeKilla

JoeKilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
^^ RPM blast can last you months? I used it in a full bed and it didn't last me 2 hours. It died very fast. I guess it has to do with the hybrid. But no string held its tension longer for me than natural jordan shoes. Those strings broke before the tension dropped.
So you prefer the natural gut? I'm not sure if I wanna go to the hybrids or not.
JoeKilla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 05:58 PM   #15
country flag MMJSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKilla View Post
So you prefer the natural gut? I'm not sure if I wanna go to the hybrids or not.
In my opinion:

Nat Gut>RPM Blast.

RPM Blast is amazing when it still has its tension. But it dies VERY fast for me. So that's too expensive to keep up.

Luxilon 4G>Nat Gut.

I think I explained above why. But you should note I string the 4G at 47 lbs.