Another green clay disaster? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:11 PM   #1
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Another green clay disaster?

I don't know when they'll learn their lesson.. Heavy rains in April in that area are rather a norm than an exception.. Last year they had an Amelia island weather disaster, that severely affected a tournament outcome. Here, we are only in the second day of the tournament, and if the play won't restart today ( which is almost a given ), some players are already subjected to play two singles matches a day, guaranteed. Not counting doubles. And likely rainout tomorrow..

Who needs those 56 draws if topurnaments can't comfortably handle it?

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:13 PM   #2
country flag Dava

Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future
Yeah and yahoo its says there will be heavy thunderstorms throughout the week, this is going to be a disaster like Scottsdale,someones gonna have to do an Ai!!
ALSO STARRING
THE GIRLS ON TOUR!

ASAGOE~BOVINA~JANKOVIC~MOLIK
MYSKINA~SCHNYDER~ZVONAREVA

THE YOUNG GUNS

BACSINSZKY~CHAKVATADZE~IVANOVIC
JACKSON~KIRILENKO~LINETSKAYA
MAKAROVA~MIRZA

THE COMEBACK KIDS

BEYGELZIMER~DOKIC~HARKLEROAD
SPREM~VAKULENKO

Dava is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #3
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's way too early to call it disastrous. It isn't exactly a disaster for athletes to have to play 2 matches in a day. And players who advance very far can always bag the doubles.

Weather forecast calls for clearing as the week goes on. So relax!
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:05 PM   #4
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by janie
It isn't exactly a disaster for athletes to have to play 2 matches in a day.
That creates an abnormal situation which plays to advantage of some players and disadvantage of others. That's not the way it is supposed to be.

Quote:
And players who advance very far can always bag the doubles.
And that is exactly what doubles are for, with their ever diminishing status.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 11:27 PM   #5
country flag LUXXXAS
Team WTAworld

LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute LUXXXAS has a reputation beyond repute
hmmm J&S CUP in Warsaw starting in two weeks and it's snowing right now-a winter back...and it's an outdoor tournament...
LUXXXAS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 11:31 PM   #6
country flag CJ07

CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute
then i guess Amanda Coetzer's gonna win big!
CJ07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:19 PM   #7
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow

That's not the way it is supposed to be.

No, but that is the way it IS with outdoor sports, and the athletes understand that going in.

And it has its benefits for us fans.This type of situation gives us a different look at the character strengths/weaknesses of our faves. We will now learn who will withstand the mental and physical strain the best.

I enjoy discovering who are the toughest players. I mean, WHO KNEW ABOUT THE INNER STRENGTH OF AI, until she won those 4 matches in a single day?

Champions shrug this stuff off. Can't wait to see who those champions will be in Charleston.
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:32 PM   #8
selesfan

selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by janie
That's not the way it is supposed to be.

No, but that is the way it IS with outdoor sports, and the athletes understand that going in.

And it has its benefits for us fans.This type of situation gives us a different look at the character strengths/weaknesses of our faves. We will now learn who will withstand the mental and physical strain the best.

I enjoy discovering who are the toughest players. I mean, WHO KNEW ABOUT THE INNER STRENGTH OF AI, until she won those 4 matches in a single day?

Champions shrug this stuff off. Can't wait to see who those champions will be in Charleston.
So true! A true champion can win above all obstacles.
selesfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #9
mishar

mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of
I was at Amelia Island last year and it was far from a disaster. Sure, it was a bummer when matches were cancelled, but the last three days were very exciting. The only one it seemed to affect adversely was Anne Kremer, who ran out of energy in the semifinals.
mishar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 02:57 AM   #10
marsha

marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishar
I was at Amelia Island last year and it was far from a disaster. Sure, it was a bummer when matches were cancelled, but the last three days were very exciting. The only one it seemed to affect adversely was Anne Kremer, who ran out of energy in the semifinals.
I think it also hurt Vivi & Poli, who had to play *3* matches on Saturday -- one about noon (an easy win though), one about 4 pm (after Sandrine's marathon singles) and the last one at 11 pm! (great fun for those of us who were at the 11 pm match though! We were as rowdy as all get-out and by that time, no one cared)

Will you be going again this year, mishar?
marsha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:39 AM   #11
country flag CanadianBoy21

CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute CanadianBoy21 has a reputation beyond repute
"That creates an abnormal situation which plays to advantage of some players and disadvantage of others. That's not the way it is supposed to be."

Tennis if a sport of 'survival of the fittest', if u are not fit, u shouldn't win, because most likely there will be someone fit... It's April, and here in Canada it is snowing, it's a suprise, so what, we can't just cancel 'stuff', neither should they cancel tournaments, It is mentally draining as well, but that's life.
CanadianBoy21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:24 AM   #12
vogus

vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute
hey don't dog our weather in April!

When it's nice, it's really nice! Witness Charleston last year, perfect weather in the 80s the whole week.

Green clay disasters in the Southeast haven't been that frequent.
Even this week, it's going to be nice on Sat-Sun for the finals weekend.

The only other disasters i remember are Amelia last year, and Amelia in 2000 (the worst one).
vogus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:21 PM   #13
mishar

mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of
Hey Marsha. Unfortunately, I can't go this year. Are you going? I had a great time last year -- I'd never been to such a small tournament. It was fun cheering the players at such proximity -- and the crowd support for Arantxa was really heart-warming.

It seems like there's often rain in Europe in May, as well as in England in June, so maybe it's just a potential for all outdoor tournaments.
mishar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:07 PM   #14
marsha

marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus
hey don't dog our weather in April! When it's nice, it's really nice! Witness Charleston last year, perfect weather in the 80s the whole week.

The only other disasters i remember are Amelia last year, and Amelia in 2000 (the worst one).
Actually last year in Charleston is got *too* hot for a while -- one day all of us that had "greenies" (300-level tickets, the aluminum bleachers!) were given "blueies" (200-level tickets) cause it was not even close to a sellout (Charleston has abnormally high prices, $50-a-pop even on the first Monday!) and the organizers were afraid someone would sure bake to a crisp! Actually I thought that was durn nice of 'em!

And yes, Amelia 2000 was so disappointing, with the doubles ending at the QF's. But, as someone did mention, here or elsewhere, it's not just here. I remember Montreal 1994 as being awful (5 rain delays in the final; worth it though!) and the Eastbourne and Arizone tournies that never got to play finals at all. There are so many "unfairs" and "what if's" in tennis; I'd say weather is about the least of them.
marsha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote