Will Western Europe and the US Pay Out to Slave Descendants? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 9th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #16
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Western Europe and the US Pay Out to Slave Descendants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
This is essentially how I feel about it. I hate to take a more practical approach to the situation, but who hasn't been enslaved or oppressed at some point?

Would you guys want to adopt an entire system to pay women back for being treated like second-class citizens for many, many, many, many generations? The patriarchal infrastructure of most of history has created a problem in gender imbalance that is still a real issue today.

And where exactly would the resources come from? If we're talking only about America, would it only be white, heterosexual males who would have to pay a special tax to make sure that that reparation is possible?
i suspect males who are descendants of union civil war soldiers would have some objection
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 9th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #17
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't the Vatican once approve slavery in its papal bull? They should pay too.

I suspect American genealogists will benefit what with proving who's the descendants of the southern plantation owners and hence receiving consulting fees.

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #18
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
This is essentially how I feel about it. I hate to take a more practical approach to the situation, but who hasn't been enslaved or oppressed at some point?

Would you guys want to adopt an entire system to pay women back for being treated like second-class citizens for many, many, many, many generations? The patriarchal infrastructure of most of history has created a problem in gender imbalance that is still a real issue today.

And where exactly would the resources come from? If we're talking only about America, would it only be white, heterosexual males who would have to pay a special tax to make sure that that reparation is possible?
You mean there were no gay slave owners?

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #19
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
You mean there were no gay slave owners?
My point is that gay people were/are also victims of oppression. Or do they not deserve pay back? Maybe that can be a separate situation then? I just imagine that it would be current citizens who will have to shoulder this expense, and considering gay rights is the primary civil rights movement of today that that would need to be addressed as well, especially when that's the pool of people with the most disposable income. Maybe that's what we should do, make them pay the most because they have the most to spare. How's that for out-of-the-box thinking?
shap_half is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #20
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post

Highly unlikely don't think Nicaragua have gotten their compensation after the ICJ ruling on the Contras so unlikely in this case unfortunately.
The ICJ should order the Bloody Brits to pay reparations for the starvation of so many Irish in the 1840s. Maybe the upcoming centennary of the 1916 Easter Rising makes for good timing to raise the issue there.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #21
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute

i don't think there's enough wealth in britain to compensate all the colonies it looted in the past.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #22
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild.river View Post
i don't think there's enough wealth in britain to compensate all the colonies it looted in the past.

And don't forget about the Romans.

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #23
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
And don't forget about the Romans.
And don't forget the Vikings!

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #24
country flag wild.river

Quote:
And don't forget the Vikings!
or the huns..
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #25
country flag buddyholly

buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild.river View Post
Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Canada, Gibraltar? What the Brits did was to install the conditions for some of the colonies to be among the best countries in the world to live in.

Compare the Spanish and Portuguese in SA, the Russians in Eastern Europe.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #26
country flag Bartosh
unattractive inside

Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How about the Slavic countries, they were a favorite target for the slave markets for centuries, hence the name 'slav' came into being. Now who bought those, Islamic countries? Weren't they also sold all over Europe?
Actually they were bought mainly by muslim Arabs in the 8th century And I don't recall Slavs being sold all over Europe - when did that happen?

and the etymology of 'Slav' is not that simple. Slav partially comes from slovo (which means 'word' in slavic languages) or slava (fame).
Bartosh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #27
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartosh View Post
Actually they were bought mainly by muslim Arabs in the 8th century And I don't recall Slavs being sold all over Europe - when did that happen?

and the etymology of 'Slav' is not that simple. Slav partially comes from slovo (which means 'word' in slavic languages) or slava (fame).

This sounds like you are excusing slavery except for that practiced by Europeans. Is it because you hold Europeans to a higher standard than everybody else? If so that's a good example of the "soft" bigotry of low expectations.

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #28
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Fine the descendants? Yeah right.

R.I.P. Bally
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #29
country flag Bartosh
unattractive inside

Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute Bartosh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
This sounds like you are excusing slavery except for that practiced by Europeans. Is it because you hold Europeans to a higher standard than everybody else? If so that's a good example of the "soft" bigotry of low expectations.
I'm just stating the fact that Slavs were not anyone's 'property', were not sold etc. since Early Middle Ages when they were sold to Arabs I don't know what is your problem
Bartosh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #30
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartosh View Post

I thought Slavs were sold Europe-wide, else how could English adopt the word, and doesn't English come from German roots too? (Serfs of Prussia were also Slavs methink?) Didn't the Vikings have a say in this.

Yeah I know Muslims imported them, then there must be a islam word related to 'slav', curious about this.

And yeah, maybe I'm wrong about the meaning of the slav; it being adopted to English, such as slave, slavish...is more accurate.

- Woodrow Wilson