Global warming scientists failed again - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 9th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #151
country flag meyerpl

meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Global warming scientists failed again

Here's the bottom line: There is irrefutable, overwhelming, empirical evidence that: a. The planet we live on is approximately 4.5 billion years old. and b. Greenhouse gasses produced by human activity are warming the planet.

There are people, a lot of people, who believe the planet is no older than approximately 6,000 years and that human activity is in no way, shape, manner or form causing the planet's temperature to rise. They are people of the same ilk as those who blamed natural disasters on witches and considered the notion of a heliocentric universe to be heresy in the 16th century. They are always going to be among us and they are not amenable to changing their beliefs.

"The noblest work of God? Man. Who found it out? Man." - Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H.L. Menken
meyerpl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 9th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #152
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
Perhaps you are correct about this. Now what to do about it? Perhaps we should allow genocides to happen. Or maybe if we stop trying to cure every disease that comes down the pipe. A good old fashioned plague used to do a great job of keeping populations down. Maybe there is too much human intervention in the natural population controls that nature has set up.
Yeah, maybe Malthus is still relevant

In that vein, China's family policy to limit a baby per household was a laudable effort (is this repealed? Hope not)

Also we should worship the inventor of condom

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #153
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member

Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute

skepticalscience is a biased source.
Williamsser is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #154
country flag plantman

plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
The temperature started rising many years before humans began putting CO2 into the atmosphere. Also, the average temperature hasn't increased in the past 17 years.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #155
country flag meyerpl

meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Let's see your source.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H.L. Menken
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #156
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All sources will have bias. That's just a reality of human cognition. So, saying that a source is biased doesn't really do much. Do you have any other criticisms of specific claims made by the writer at skepticalscience?
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #157
country flag buddyholly

buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerpl View Post

It's interesting that you express skepticism that human activity is causing global warming, then you express confidence that global warming could be stopped if there were fewer people on the planet.

Which is it?
No, I expressed skepticism about the percentage of global warming that is man made.

Trying to mention the existence of two warming agents to ecofreaks like Big Al is like a crucifix to a vampire.
That is because he can not make billions off natural climate change.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #158
country flag buddyholly

buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantman View Post
Amusing that you should present a cartoon like this. I invite you to calculate the amount of warming undergone by the bowl and its contents when the fish pees.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #159
country flag buddyholly

Quote:
Perhaps you are correct about this. Now what to do about it? Perhaps we should allow genocides to happen. Or maybe if we stop trying to cure every disease that comes down the pipe. A good old fashioned plague used to do a great job of keeping populations down. Maybe there is too much human intervention in the natural population controls that nature has set up.
I have a much more benevolent way. Voluntarily stop having large families. Or put a heavy tax on families with more than two children.
But I realise that religion trumps science on this solution.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #160
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I have a much more benevolent way. Voluntarily stop having large families. Or put a heavy tax on families with more than two children.
But I realise that religion trumps science on this solution.
I'm not quite sure what religion and/or science have to do with your suggestion.

"Oh it's Tommy this and Tommy that and chuck him out, the brute.
But it's savior of his country when the guns begin to shoot."
Rudyard Kipling
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #161
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Catholics? Aren't they against using contraceptive or something? But it won't matter to China or India..

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #162
country flag buddyholly

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what religion and/or science have to do with your suggestion.
I am sure it is a simple scientific conclusion that the more people there are on earth, the more greenhouse gases will be put into the atmosphere. So the simple way to lower greenhouse gases is to lower the population.

The religious aspect is obvious I think. All the objections to controlled procreation will come from religious taboos. For me it is simple. There should be a luxury tax on newborns. This makes a lot more sense to me than a carbon tax.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #163
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Skeptical Science provides links to scientific papers from peer reviewed journals that you are free to examine for yourself.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #164
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I am sure it is a simple scientific conclusion that the more people there are on earth, the more greenhouse gases will be put into the atmosphere. So the simple way to lower greenhouse gases is to lower the population.

The religious aspect is obvious I think. All the objections to controlled procreation will come from religious taboos. For me it is simple. There should be a luxury tax on newborns. This makes a lot more sense to me than a carbon tax.
Really? I would think that those objections would be couched as a human rights issue. Unless you are making the argument that human rights is based in religion.

"Oh it's Tommy this and Tommy that and chuck him out, the brute.
But it's savior of his country when the guns begin to shoot."
Rudyard Kipling
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #165
country flag meyerpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
Skeptical Science provides links to scientific papers from peer reviewed journals that you are free to examine for yourself.
The statements contained in the link you provided can be found from a number of sources. You have consistently provided pertinent, credible information in this thread. Williamsser has not. What Williamsser has done is lazily make flippant, dismissive remarks that reflect a level of ignorance that one might be able to dismiss if it weren't so commonplace. There seems to be a growing trend in this country of disdain towards intellectualism, science and education and Williamsser appears to be following that trend with vigor. I refer to post #151; there is nothing you can present that Williamsser will read with any degree of interest (if at all) that contradicts a position he has locked-on to. Nonetheless, I applaud your efforts to set the record straight when posters spew fallacies because, even though it won't make any impression on posters like Williamser, it may on others looking on.