Maria's Best Quotes - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 21st, 2007, 04:31 PM   #1
country flag xan

xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute
Maria's Best Quotes

We're lucky enough to support a player who makes a lot of good quotes. So I think we need a thread in which some of her better quotes can be gathered.

Why not paste your favourite Maria quotes, funny, inspirational, whatever, here, and we can all refer to them easily.

Official Hitman of the Maria Mafia
xan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM   #2
country flag xan

xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria's Best Quotes

I'll start:

Aus Open interview 25.1.07
I'm No 1, yeah. Minor detail."

Q. When you see the cameras along the sideline, they're pointed at you, none at your opponent...
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't look at the cameras. I look at the ball.

Official Hitman of the Maria Mafia
xan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM   #3
country flag Jovana.
sleep deprivation.

Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute

“I’m not the next anyone, I’m the first Maria Sharapova”

“Sometimes I feel my arm is like a swan's neck - so weak.”

“I definitely feel Russian inside, even when I'm in America I feel Russian,”

“Well, fans always root for the underdog.”

I'm just like every other girl who likes to shop, likes to look good, likes to spend time with friends

I love her so much!
Jovana. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 05:06 PM   #4
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

334 in the doodle thread (april of 2007)

Quote:
I love to dance, and love it even more when the instructor is super hot, and I get to watch him dance in front of me for a whole hour. At the end of the class he told everyone to walk around the room until their heart rate went down......I told him the only way my heart rate was going down, is if he left that room..
nelsondan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 05:09 PM   #5
country flag Jovana.
sleep deprivation.

Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute Jovana. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondan View Post
334 in the doodle thread (april of 2007)
[/quote]I love to dance, and love it even more when the instructor is super hot, and I get to watch him dance in front of me for a whole hour. At the end of the class he told everyone to walk around the room until their heart rate went down......I told him the only way my heart rate was going down, is if he left that room.. )[/quote]

great one! he must be really hot!
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:36 PM   #6
country flag Doc

Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future

Wimbledon 2007
Q. What about your outfit here at Wimbledon this year? Anything special about it?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, it's Swan Lake inspired.
Q. I have no clue what that means.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: When you see it, you'll see a swan. You'll be inspired. My coach saw it the other day and he said he started feeding bread to it, so he got it (smiling).

After winning US Open 2006
Q. Now do you feel pretty?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I feel pretty darn good.

US Open 2007
I don't think I was considered a clear favorite coming into the tournament last year. So until you win it, then, it's like, Oh, yeah, she was always the favorite to win. That's how things work.

I'm still young, 20 years old, and I feel like I can do so much more, not just in tennis but in other things, because my parents always taught me to never be afraid of anything, to try the things that you love, to expand yourself. I don't want to be one dimensional. I love trying new things, whether it's writing, TV or anything. I'm really not afraid to fail at it.

Victoria Azarenka, Dinara Safina, Maria Kirilenko

Nadia Petrova, Samantha Stosur, Ana Ivanovic.

0026..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl .... Official Political Advisor to the Maria Mafia.
Doc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:40 PM   #7
country flag Doc

Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future

And of course, this one....

US Open blog, after her exit
I didn't leave my mom at the age of 7 for nothing. I didn't spend 6 hours a day practicing in the Florida sun at the age of 9 for nothing. I didn't spend those extra hours on the back courts with my dad figuring out if I'm going to play right-handed or left-handed for nothing. I didn't sleep in little cods for 3 years eating oatmeal out of a packet, while playing ITF's in the middle of nowhere for nothing. And I certainly didn't sit at the kitchen table, way past dinner, perfecting Russian essays and math equations until they met my mother's standards, for nothing. All this has helped me build character and there's no greater asset than being able to stand up for yourself. No matter how many losses I will have in my career, I will always know what has brought me to this point.....and that's hard work.

Victoria Azarenka, Dinara Safina, Maria Kirilenko

Nadia Petrova, Samantha Stosur, Ana Ivanovic.

0026..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl .... Official Political Advisor to the Maria Mafia.
Doc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:50 PM   #8
country flag Jovana.
sleep deprivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post

I didn't leave my mom at the age of 7 for nothing. I didn't spend 6 hours a day practicing in the Florida sun at the age of 9 for nothing. I didn't spend those extra hours on the back courts with my dad figuring out if I'm going to play right-handed or left-handed for nothing. I didn't sleep in little cods for 3 years eating oatmeal out of a packet, while playing ITF's in the middle of nowhere for nothing. And I certainly didn't sit at the kitchen table, way past dinner, perfecting Russian essays and math equations until they met my mother's standards, for nothing. All this has helped me build character and there's no greater asset than being able to stand up for yourself. No matter how many losses I will have in my career, I will always know what has brought me to this point.....and that's hard work.

oh this one is classic, one her best quotes
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:57 PM   #9
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

If you are including blog entries, this one stood out to me (after the American soil one) -

So I've been told that football season is starting which would probably mean that after spending more than half of my life in the States, I would at least know what a quarterback is, right? Nope, not me! Would it be extremely embarrassing to say that my friend bought me a Football for Dummies the other day? Call me stupid (cause this is your once in a lifetime opportunity) but I know absolutely nothing about the sport. As far as I know the person that's running with the ball is so scared of getting hit by all these monster-looking dudes that all they really want to do is run for their life. Currently I'm on Page 3 ( can't you tell I'm really fascinated) which only leaves me with 379 to go. I'll keep you updated!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 07:03 PM   #10
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That really was just

My favourite is the quote after her 0-6 0-6 defeat.

I'm not really sure what it was but it was something like leaving something in her last will, and it was two bagels

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 07:08 PM   #11
country flag Emina.

Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute Emina. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

that one indeed
Emina. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 07:14 PM   #12
country flag fpusi

fpusi is just really nice fpusi is just really nice fpusi is just really nice fpusi is just really nice fpusi is just really nice fpusi is just really nice fpusi is just really nice fpusi is just really nice fpusi is just really nice fpusi is just really nice fpusi is just really nice

I love these ones:

Announcer (after Sharapova received the 2007 Australian Open runner-up trophy): And I'm sure you have a few words to say.
Sharapova: A few more than the games I won today.

At the press conference after losing the 2007 Australian Open final: You mean my speech was better than my game today?

Q. 4‑1 in the second, you looked like you pulled something out of your bag. Was that a piece of paper?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah.
Q. Can I ask what it said?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Just a reminder.
Q. Of?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Of? Of what I’m going to buy in the grocery store. I mean, I’m playing a tennis match. It’s pretty easy ‑‑ pretty easy to understand that they’re notes about the match.

AO rulez..
fpusi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 10:47 PM   #13
country flag Dan23

Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute

I cant find it atm but there was this quote...I think at Wimby 06 or the USO 06....when Maria said for the media to put down their pens and grunt-o-meters etc and just watch her play tennis
Dan23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 11:31 PM   #14
country flag jcshie

jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of

I like these:

So this is just tennis. You wake up, you either step on your right foot or your left, and, you know, hopefully you step on your right. -Miami 2005

Well, I mean, why would you want to be No. 20 and then when you get to No. 20 it's like you don't want to be No. 1, you know? It's like shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll still be among the stars, so... - Indian Wells 2005

"In a few years, hopefully, the stories won't be about my grunting or my looks, but about me being a great tennis player. With Monica Seles, everyone started talking about her being a big grunter, but who cares now that she grunts? When she walks on court, everyone thinks she's a champion." -2003

‘People always ask about young people like-me being forced into things. I play tennis because I love it. I think Russians might be tougher than other people. When I arrived in America I was young, but I already knew what I wanted. I think that when you start from nothing, when you come from noth ing, it makes you hungry. I am proud of where I came from and I know what I want. I want to win.’ - 2003

On Washington's first match point, two pigeons delayed play by flying on to the court and Sharapova said she was considering making an investment.

"They're my best friends," Sharapova said. "I'm actually thinking of buying a few in my house." -RG 2006

I wonder why did I win Wimbledon at 17 years old?" she adds. "I mean, it wasn't because my game was so good that I was dominating everyone. I was just really fearless out there. I didn't care who was on the other side of the net. I didn't care what people thought. I didn't care about any expectations.

Of course, I'm happy, but I'm not going to jump up and down on the table because I'm happy, just as I would not be crying if I had lost. -Acura Classic 2006

"The coolest thing about making money is that you are able to give back," Sharapova said. "You have the opportunity to help people. You can only buy so many cars, so many houses, so many dresses and so many pairs of shoes, but it's not going to make you happy. But helping to save lives is incredible. I can't even begin to explain how amazing that is." - March 2007

Q. You have become an American icon, that's obvious. You speak American, you spent half of your life here.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Does American exist? I speak English. I don't speak American anything. -2006

BTW, you can find many interviews from this site:
http://207.218.248.2/asapsports.com/...r.php?id=12110

Last edited by jcshie : Nov 22nd, 2007 at 10:54 PM.
jcshie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 11:59 PM   #15
country flag jcshie

jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of jcshie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan23 View Post
I cant find it atm but there was this quote...I think at Wimby 06 or the USO 06....when Maria said for the media to put down their pens and grunt-o-meters etc and just watch her play tennis
this one? AO 2006

Q. Obviously, this disappointment with the outcome today, can you talk about your sort of feelings on that?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Talk about the disappointment? Yeah, it's disappointing. Look, guys, I think, I mean, I know you are reporters and I know this is your job, but, you know, take your note pads, take your pencils down, take your grunt-o-meters down, the fashion police, put everything away and just watch the match, you know, from just the fans' perspective. I seriously think that the quality of the match today was great. I don't -- of course I'm disappointed, but I did not expect myself to play this great at this tournament. You know, for me to be able to go out there and to play the quality of tennis that I did today, I think it was great. And I know that probably tomorrow I'm gonna be seeing headlines, you know, "Maria can't get past the semis, Maria can't finish it off in the third." But take all that away and just look at the tennis that we both played today. You know, I think that shows a lot. You know, I have a lot to look forward to in the future. You know, this match, it's disappointing right now, but this match gives me a lot of confidence towards the future. I know I can do it. I know what level I can play. I have a lot to look forward to.
jcshie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote