Ignore feature is flawed?! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 25th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #1
country flag V-MAC
blurring the lines between the real and the fake

V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute
Ignore feature is flawed?!

I'm just wondering what is the point of the ignore feature when the ignored person's post will still show up and you are given an option to view their post or not?!
I would think the whole point of ignoring someone is not being made aware of their existence
Ironically, choosing to ignore someone only brings more attention to their posts
Can this be fixed?

Old Dec 26th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #2
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ignore feature is flawed?!

I hate it when you have a poster on ignore you can still see their quoted posts :/

Also defeats the purpose.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #3
country flag Steve
Webmaster

Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future

This is how the feature works. It hides the message created poster but still shows that their post is there. I talked to one of our techs and they will see if there is a way the feature can be edited so you do not see anything from the ignored poster.

Cheers,

- dm, community support
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #4
country flag V-MAC
blurring the lines between the real and the fake

V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #5
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This is how the feature works. It hides the message created poster but still shows that their post is there. I talked to one of our techs and they will see if there is a way the feature can be edited so you do not see anything from the ignored poster.

Cheers,

- dm, community support
Oh no, what have you done?

Now, if I want to post in a thread, I have no good way of checking if one of my blocked posters has already posted the same thing, and I could end up looking like an idiot--even more so than usual, that is.
Embittered is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #6
country flag Steve
Webmaster

Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future

Hi guys, the ignore message is now hidden. Let me know if you want me to put it back to the way it was before. I tried to honor the request as quickly as I can so I took care of it. Just let me know.

Regards,
CG - Community Support
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #7
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea. Now people can't read anything at all from "ignored" even if they'd want to. So man up people. "Ignored" really means "ignored" from now on.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #8
country flag King Halep
♥ Si Si Simona Si Si Si

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute

That was a good improvement. Would it be possible to have a function where if you select a word, all the thread which have that word in the title would be hidden? An example is where GM is full of threads about a certain player and if you have that player's name on an ignore list, then all the threads in GM with that player name in the title would be hidden.
King Halep is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 02:02 AM   #9
country flag DollyRose
GOTHIC LOLITA

DollyRose has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys View Post
Good idea. Now people can't read anything at all from "ignored" even if they'd want to. So man up people. "Ignored" really means "ignored" from now on.
I'm not a man, but I like the way "ignore" is done now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
That was a good improvement. Would it be possible to have a function where if you select a word, all the thread which have that word in the title would be hidden? An example is where GM is full of threads about a certain player and if you have that player's name on an ignore list, then all the threads in GM with that player name in the title would be hidden.
Wow what a great idea! But the Forum isn't set up to "ignore" certain tennis players only posters so I don't know if this could be done or not? A tech person I'm not! But I would be very much in favor of it, if it could be done
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #10
country flag DollyRose
GOTHIC LOLITA

I have a question. If a poster that is on an ignore list is quoted by another poster who isn't on an ignore list then can you see the post because it was quoted?
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #11
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyRose View Post
I have a question. If a poster that is on an ignore list is quoted by another poster who isn't on an ignore list then can you see the post because it was quoted?
Yes. I've seen loads of redacted's posts quoted since the change. Makes me wonder why people keep responding to her.
Embittered is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #12
country flag DollyRose
GOTHIC LOLITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embittered View Post
Yes. I've seen loads of redacted's posts quoted since the change. Makes me wonder why people keep responding to her.
This is such a large and busy Forum you just about have to quote people so everyone knows who you mean your post for, but I don't know anyway people can get away from seeing quotes
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #13
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hi guys, the ignore message is now hidden. Let me know if you want me to put it back to the way it was before. I tried to honor the request as quickly as I can so I took care of it. Just let me know.

Regards,
CG - Community Support
Thank you.

I can still see the quoted posts? Can't that be changed too?
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 02:06 AM   #14
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

The short answer is I doubt it. The long answer is I doubt it, but even if it is, it's probably a bad idea.

Quoted text is contained within the post, which is why you see it, it's also why quotes such as the one below can be made despite not being actual posts. The ignore function doesn't delete anything, it just hides posts. Reading and removing/hiding sections of posts goes way beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mixalot. View Post
I like big butts and I cannot lie
The quote will link back to a post that wasn't made by Sir Mixalot and does not contain the quoted text.

It may be possible to install a script that hides posts that quote posts that would be hidden (I.e. By ignored users). I genuinely do not know. But it would probably slow the forum down, considering what it would have to do (read every post on that page, check if it contains any quotes, then check if any of those posts refer to posters you have on ignore and the hide those posts). It also means that posts containing quotes of more than one user (e.g. You and someone on your ignore list) would be hidden, even though you don't have me on ignore and you may well want to know what I said in response to you. It could also mean that posts quoting a post that quotes a post by a user you have ignored would be hidden (because it's quoting a hidden post) and so forth.

An alternative could be removing the text contained within a [quote] block if it refers to an ignored user. But that leaves you with a context free reply to the quoted text and fails completely if not all of the quoted sections of a hidden post contain the post ID. For example if I broke the post down into multiple quote blocks to respond to parts of the post individually but didn't paste in the ID into any quote blocks I made you'd be seeing parts of a post, but not all of it which would be annoying.

Cue someone from VScope telling me that it's actually very simple and can be done straight away with none of the problems I foresaw.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #15
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys View Post
Yay, let me test it on you.
The Witch-king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote