Aussie Open preparations in Brisbane Dec 29 - Page 25 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 01:53 PM   #361
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aussie Open preparations in Brisbane Dec 29

Did anyone at the presser ask her what was up with her finger?
Advertisement

Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 02:13 PM   #362
country flag MiiMo

MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of MiiMo has much to be proud of

I'm quite frustrated with this match to be honest because even if this can seem weird, I believe she was slightly better than Serena off the ground, she was hitting with depth and really matched Serena who had to defend big time. Maria had two problems off the ground actually: She was struggling with balls in the middle of the court, especially taking them with her forehand. If her serve clicked as in the match against Garcia, no doubt she would have won this second set but this is her first tournament since August. I liked Maria's attitude, she did not over do it, she was herself and it was great to see. She can have some regrets on this volley she missed while the court was wide open, the 40/30 point of course and the Tie-break she had in her racquet.

World Number One : The One and Only One

PS : Haters gonna hate

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/UpdateWTA
MiiMo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 02:25 PM   #363
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

The good thing about 2014 AO is that the earliest that Maria will meet Serena is SF; and it gives Maria and Sven five (5) more matches to work out the wrinkles.

Maria will be such a different player, the next time she meets with Serena again.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 02:25 PM   #364
country flag Tennisvampire

Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
She's treading into Empress JJ terrains with her conferences
That I'm pulling my teeth quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Croft View Post
OMG, did she really say that? That's awesome
Well, according to tweets, she did

Jelena Jankovic-forever

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Bouchard and Dimitrov-something will become of you
Tennisvampire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 02:47 PM   #365
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

So many positives to take out of this loss. First of all Maria did not back down when the pressure was on . Her serve troubled her throughout the match but when under pressure (4-5 and 5-6 down) she really delivered and that was good. The first set went begging after she got broken but in the second she really got into the head of Serena and read those serves better, however her serve which was working perfectly under pressure when down, failed her when leading. So many missed chances, so many. This could have easily gone into a third set.

I'm happy that she's back, and I can't wait for AO. I want another go at Serena there, no matter the result.
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 03:00 PM   #366
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sharapova View Post
So many positives to take out of this loss. First of all Maria did not back down when the pressure was on . Her serve troubled her throughout the match but when under pressure (4-5 and 5-6 down) she really delivered and that was good. The first set went begging after she got broken but in the second she really got into the head of Serena and read those serves better, however her serve which was working perfectly under pressure when down, failed her when leading. So many missed chances, so many. This could have easily gone into a third set.

I'm happy that she's back, and I can't wait for AO. I want another go at Serena there, no matter the result.
Well said, couldn't agree more.

The three matches at Brisbane, helped to focus Maria's training agenda for the next ten days before 2014 AO. I won't be surprised if we see some of her best tennis there.
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 03:21 PM   #367
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't stop thinking about how different this result could have been had she served like her first match . Hopefully she looks back at that one and sees what was working so well, and I would love to see similar serving performances at the AO, DF on match point not included
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 03:32 PM   #368
country flag Joelina

Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollPova View Post
I just can't stop thinking about how different this result could have been had she served like her first match . Hopefully she looks back at that one and sees what was working so well, and I would love to see similar serving performances at the AO, DF on match point not included
IKR? even Maria must be frustrated how she served today, especially in the second set, she could have easily won it like 6-2, and third set could be competitive

and i don´t understand those who say Serena was playing 20%, she was moving great and apart from her serve she was playing very good

Kvitova Ivanovic Cepelova Hantuchova Jankovic
Joelina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 03:50 PM   #369
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelina View Post
IKR? even Maria must be frustrated how she served today, especially in the second set, she could have easily won it like 6-2, and third set could be competitive

and i don´t understand those who say Serena was playing 20%, she was moving great and apart from her serve she was playing very good
They always say that Serena is 10-15-20%. Looking at the stats, it's clear that even her bad serving day was way better than Masha's bad serving day.

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 04:08 PM   #370

Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
They always say that Serena is 10-15-20%. Looking at the stats, it's clear that even her bad serving day was way better than Masha's bad serving day.
Indeed, and the major difference IMO is that Serena can fire a good serve basically whenever she wants no matter how bad of a serving day she's having. MP, BP down in the second game, 4 all in the second set, at 40:30, after that stupid replay of the point are just some examples that spring to mind, while Maria simply doesn't have that kind of confidence in her serve, and she usually can't rely on it to get her out of the tough situations quickly and effortlessly. Not to mention that she was facing second serves during a vast majority of important points in her games.

But, on the other hand, when we take the serving out of the equation, statistically watching (just winners and UEs), today, she was better than Serena off the ground. It's just very frustrating for me that she can play shoulder to shoulder with Serena from the baseline, and still have this kind of scoreline, just because Serena can usually rip off good serves and returns in those most important moments, thanks to her own good serve and Maria's usually wobbly one. And the result can be either 6:2 or 7:6 in her favor (because quite honestly, to me Maria was not that much worse and Serena not that much better in the first set, and the difference was certainly not 4 whole games), it practically doesn't even matter.

Bottom line is, if Maria can sort out her serving, she will have a very good shot at beating her in one of their next encounters.

Jelena Jankovic-forever

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 04:39 PM   #371
country flag Abuttons

Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold

I followed the match only up to when Sven got on the court. Then I had to leave and missed the rest.
Reading what happened I believe we have a mix of optimism and frustration.
For one, Maria is in much better form that when she came back from surgery, and to play a very honourable match against Serena on her 3rd one after a 6 months pause is something that Maria and us can feel quite good about.
The frustration comes from the fact that it looks that Maria had more than a fair chance to pocket the 2nd set but she did not manage. Lack of a more consistent serve seems to be the main cause.
Maria and Sven will need to work so that Maria can capitalise more on the favourable opportunities, especially against people like Serena against whom they do not appear very often.
I think there are very good reasons to believe that if she keeps healthy Maria can have a very successful season this year.
Come on Maria, off to Melbourne.
Abuttons is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 04:59 PM   #372
country flag GrandMartha

GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute

Not disappointed at all. She played an ok match after such a long break.
Keep working hard honey and let's rock in Melbourne
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 04:59 PM   #373
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

so Sharapova won 40 points in the second set, whereas Serena 39....

I think Sharapova has improved
1) disguise of her 2nd serve
2) return of big serves in T
3) more consistent DTL shots

In 2013 all this was nonexistent in Masha's game

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 05:21 PM   #374
country flag 18majors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
so Sharapova won 40 points in the second set, whereas Serena 39....

I think Sharapova has improved
1) disguise of her 2nd serve
2) return of big serves in T
3) more consistent DTL shots

In 2013 all this was nonexistent in Masha's game
Serena would have doubled her ace count from 7 to 14, if Maria didn't read and return Serena's serves as well as she did last night.

Last night was a small step Maria took to overtake Serena; bigger steps will come in bunches throughout 2014.

I don't mind at all, a 6-0 6-0 beatdown of Serena by Maria before we close out 2014.
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 05:28 PM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
Serena would have doubled her ace count from 7 to 14, if Maria didn't read and return Serena's serves as well as she did last night.

Last night was a small step Maria took to overtake Serena; bigger steps will come in bunches throughout 2014.

I don't mind at all, a 6-0 6-0 beatdown of Serena by Maria before we close out 2014.
I gotta say, I truly admire your optimism, that is if you're not being sarcastic (at least not entirely)

Jelena Jankovic-forever

NOVAK DJOKOVIC