Tough at the Top : Chinese Champion Li Na on Life in and Out of Tennis - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 12th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #1
country flag DanLovesWTA

DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute
Tough at the Top : Chinese Champion Li Na on Life in and Out of Tennis

To some observers, Li Na is the bad girl of women's tennis, known as much for her outbursts on and off the court—and for poking fun at her husband, former teammate and coach Jiang Shan —as she is for her powerful backhand.

That side was on display at this year's French Open, the tournament that two years earlier had catapulted Ms. Li into the spotlight. Her championship run in Paris in 2011 made her the first Chinese player to win a Grand Slam singles title. In China, 116 million people tuned into the final.
Enlarge Image

Li Na after a win at this year's U.S. Open; she reached the semifinals where she fell to eventual champion Serena Williams Getty Images

But this year she fell in the second round—and then snapped at a reporter from China's Xinhua news agency for asking whether she had an explanation for her fans.

"Do I need to get on my knees and kowtow to them?" she said. "Apologize to them?" Those remarks caused a stir among Ms. Li's followers on Weibo, China's Twitter-like microblogging service, where she was criticized for the blunt retort.

The 31-year-old star, currently ranked the No. 3 women's singles player in the world, also has faced criticism for comments that she didn't initially love tennis and was forced into playing the game by her ambitious father. But this past week she struck a conciliatory tone. "When I was a child, it was the choice of my parents that I should do tennis," she told a group of students at the International School of Beijing. "Now I realize it was the right choice."

Ms. Li made history when she broke away from China's national team and the country's state-run sports system after the Olympic Games in 2008, the first Chinese athlete to do so. The danfei (fly solo) initiative gave her the freedom to manage her own career, choose her own coach, and form her own coaching and training team—and pay for it all herself.

An English translation of her autobiography, "My Story," was published this month, two years after the release of the Chinese-language version.

Ms. Li said she wrote the book so that people would understand that she is more than just an athlete. "I can be a wife, or a friend—so many things," she said. "I want people to know exactly how my life was when I was growing up, and also because Western and Chinese [people] are so totally different."

The book includes a harrowing scene at the time of her father's death, when she was 14 years old. Her family didn't tell her that he had died until she came home for a visit from a youth tournament and saw his body laid out in a room.

"Before, I'd always thought that growing up was a gradual process," she writes. "But that day, I learned that people can grow up in a single moment."

The Journal spoke with Ms. Li about competing against her friend Petra Kvitova, training for her next tournament and her message for young fans. Edited excerpts:

Who among the top 10 tennis players do you most enjoy playing against?

[Petra] Kvitova, because we are very good friends. We can talk a lot about not only tennis, but…about women's lives. You fight a lot on the court, but off the court, we're friends. Even during a match I can get so angry at her coach, but after, we have fun.

What gave you the courage to break away from China's national team?

If I didn't stay on the national team [as long as I did], I could not have my team right now. Because I stayed on the national team for over 10 years, I got more experience. If when I started to play tennis, my family paid for that, I don't think I could continue until now. If I stayed on the national team, it would have been much easier. There's less pressure, because it doesn't matter if you're doing well or not. You've always got prize money. You don't have to worry about paying for a coach, paying for the traveling, everything. But right now I have my team, and of course there is more pressure, because if you're not doing well, you don't have money to pay for your coach. So it's a very good challenge. Once I asked my husband, "What if one day, we only have zero in the bank? What do you think?" And he's different from Chinese people. He said, "It's OK, it doesn't matter, we'll start again." I was like, "What?"

What are your best qualities?

I think body and mentally, both. I know especially after [the] last year, so many people were talking about age. So I said, "What do you mean age? I'm just over 30!" I'm not saying I'm the best, but I show up. Over 30, I've got more experience. I was feeling much, much stronger than before. On the court, I think I'm smarter now.

Are you in training now?

Yes, I'm training with Carlos [Rodriguez ] in Beijing. He has an academy in Beijing, so I have more time and can stay in China. [My next tournament is in] Shenzhen, in the first week of January. Then one week off, and then Melbourne [for the Australian Open].

You recently took off three weeks after your defeat in the WTA Championship finals in Istanbul against Serena Williams. What did you do during that time?

I was still busy. I had to make every sponsor happy. I started at 8 in the morning and finished at 8 in the evening, so it was 12-hour days, seven days a week. When I finished, I was back home with my mom, an important person to me, for four days. And my husband, too—we went on vacation.

What message does your book offer young people?

I really wish that after they read the book, they feel, "Ah, she's normal. She's not, like, special or something." I just want to give information to them that everyone has to have a goal. If you make a goal, you can be a hero for yourself.

You've written in your book about the influence of your father. What would he think of you today?

You know, Chinese for sure like to drink wine. So if he was still alive now, he would say, "Oh, I have a good daughter. Cheers!"

Are your achievements for yourself or for China?

It's very tough to say because for my mind, I think I have to cheer for myself first. If you make your goal too big, it makes it difficult to actually focus on anything. I don't feel I can represent all of China.

by Debra Bruno http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...49470996107240
Sorana Cirstea,Jelena Jankovic,Samantha Stosur,Victoria Azarenka,Sabine Lisicki,Ana Ivanovic,Caroline Wozniacki,Na Li,Monica Niculescu,Petra Kvitova,Flavia Pennetta,Belinda Bencic,Irina-Camelia Begu,Lucie Safarova,Madison Keys,Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Donna Vekic,Angelique Kerber,Elina Svitolina,Agnieszka Radwanska,Venus Williams,Andrea Petkovic.
Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Deserve my appreciation: Steffi Graf, Elena Dementieva, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters.
DanLovesWTA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 12th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #2
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tough at the Top : Chinese Champion Li Na on Life in and Out of Tennis

The bad girl of tennis? She's probably the sweetest top player after Kvitova. Loved the interview.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #3
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. The only thing I didn't like was the interviewer putting in " after your defeat." That had nothing to do with what the point of the question.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Even during a match I can get so angry at her coach, but after, we have fun.

Oh, Na.

Considering her sponsorships and endorsements, I'm not seeing how they will ever get to zero in their bank accounts.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #5
country flag CheddarChomper

CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this Dan. Well spotted.

What, no jokes about Dennis? Come on Li Na, you're slacking!
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #6
country flag tennis-insomniac

tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting interview. So much spirit and personality from this lady. Respect.

-"Still On The Road"
tennis-insomniac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #7
country flag hpme

hpme is a splendid one to behold hpme is a splendid one to behold hpme is a splendid one to behold hpme is a splendid one to behold hpme is a splendid one to behold hpme is a splendid one to behold hpme is a splendid one to behold hpme is a splendid one to behold hpme is a splendid one to behold hpme is a splendid one to behold hpme is a splendid one to behold

------------------------------------
play stronger, play smarter

hpme is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #8
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Nice interview.
Li Na is an easily likable player and person.
Thanks for posting the article.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #9
country flag jianfei

jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold

NaNa
jianfei is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #10
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute

Li always seems so down to earth. And she is hilarious too.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #11
country flag Serena_Li_Luv

Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for this interview! I always love to hear from Li. She is always candid, straight forward and know's how to inject her own charm and personality into each interview. I'm sure her autobiography is a great read!
Serena_Li_Luv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #12
country flag jianfei

jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold jianfei is a splendid one to behold

jianfei is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #13
country flag TennisGhost

TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I love her so much.
TennisGhost is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #14
country flag klimike

klimike is a splendid one to behold klimike is a splendid one to behold klimike is a splendid one to behold klimike is a splendid one to behold klimike is a splendid one to behold klimike is a splendid one to behold klimike is a splendid one to behold klimike is a splendid one to behold klimike is a splendid one to behold klimike is a splendid one to behold klimike is a splendid one to behold

It looks like her book (English version) is only available in Australia for now.
I can't find it on amazon UK.

IMG - Li has more than 110K followers on Facebook now, do some work please.
klimike is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #15
country flag yikes on bikes

yikes on bikes is just really nice yikes on bikes is just really nice yikes on bikes is just really nice yikes on bikes is just really nice yikes on bikes is just really nice yikes on bikes is just really nice yikes on bikes is just really nice yikes on bikes is just really nice yikes on bikes is just really nice yikes on bikes is just really nice yikes on bikes is just really nice

Awesome read! Thanks
yikes on bikes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote