The YEC should be considered a fifth major - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 14th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #76
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The YEC should be considered a fifth major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues Daniel View Post
That's exactly the point I disagree with. It's not the champion who makes an event major by his/her participation alone. It's the champion who misses a major by not participating to it. To the very least, there's a balance to make. But the asterisks are on the players side to me. It may be a matter of humbleness to consider at this point?

Were the big players deciding what would be major or not, back in the days? I don't think so, and certainly that idea doesn't please me much.

I prefer the Billie Jean King attitude, and some others players like she before and after her age, deciding to promote the majors and the sport without inflating their competitive ego. Or keeping that competitive ego to an entertaining fun first.
Exactly. DOn't blame Court because other players were too scared to travel to australia and face her on her home turf. Blame the players that avoided peak Court like the plague.
Advertisement

Old Dec 15th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #77
country flag Idemo

Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
you are a complete joke as well as your buffoonery theoretical speculations. Since 2003 only one player won Slam beating 4 top 10 players , but we had 1 player winning a Slam with 0 top 10 wins, 5 times - with 1 top 10 win. On average 2-3 wins vs top 10 are enough ( 2,31 wins) to win a Slam

since 2003 the champion won at least 4 matches , 7 champions (among 11) won all 5 matches at YEC.

YEC qulification + YEC competition doesn't allow Fluke wins happen. That's the difference.

I suppose you're correct. Having a top 10 ranking is the be-all and end-all in terms of a measuring stick of players' abilities, and after all, you do have to win as many matches in the YEC as in a slam..... Oh wait, no you don't. Nevermind.

I only said that it was still possible for a player to make the semis, I didn't say anything about them winning the title. I only said that they would still be "having an opportunity to still win the title." So, kindly don't put words in my mouth. You don't deserve to still be in with a chance of winning a title if you've already lost a match. To have a Slam winner who had already lost a match or two in the tournament would be the biggest farce known to the WTA.

Oh, and it didn't go unnoticed that you chose not to mention my point about the changing venues every few years, and the lack of tradition, just to bolster your own little rant.

Lastly, do not personally attack me. I merely stated my opinion, while you felt the need to have a go at me directly. So sit down, stay pressed, and keep your anger to yourself. A fifth major isn't gonna happen.

Last edited by Idemo : Dec 15th, 2013 at 12:16 AM.
Idemo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #78
country flag superstition

superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idemo View Post
A fifth major isn't gonna happen.
The WTA Championships/YEC has been happening for a long time now.
superstition is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #79
country flag Idemo

Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute

And yet, it still isn't classified as a major.
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #80
country flag tkutsaar

tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute

In my view the YEC is nothing more than an exhibition series; albeit an interesting exhibition featuring the current top eight players. It cannot possibly compare to the importance of winning a major tournament. The format itself empirically exposes the shortcomings of the event. In the round robin it is technically possible for one player to win three games while the other three players in the group are 1-2. Thus a player with a 1-2 record gets to play in the semi finals and can emerge champion with a 3-2 record beating perhaps a player who ends up 4-1 for the tournament. I need not remind you that a player needs a 7-0 record to win a major championship and no other player in the tournament will have a better win loss record than the champion.
tkutsaar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #81
country flag cornet224

cornet224 is a name known to all cornet224 is a name known to all cornet224 is a name known to all cornet224 is a name known to all cornet224 is a name known to all cornet224 is a name known to all cornet224 is a name known to all cornet224 is a name known to all cornet224 is a name known to all cornet224 is a name known to all cornet224 is a name known to all

Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree completely. Firstly, in a Slam, just assume you are top seed, you could play as many as 4 top 10 players (Final, Semis, Quarters & Fourth Round), and if you were unseeded, you could play up to 5 top 10 players (Final, Semis, Quarters, Fourth Round & First/Second Round). And as we all know, ranking isn't everything. The comebacks of Clijsters & Henin were prime examples of that.

Secondly, I find the very notion of it being harder to win the YEC than a Slam to be absurd. You are put into a ROUND ROBIN format, and can still qualify for the semis even though you may lose 1 or 2 matches. In the last 5 years alone, Jankovic (2013), Zvonareva (2011) & Venus (2009) were able to qualify for the semis despite losing the majority of their round robin matches. Having an opportunity to still win the title after you have lost a match (let alone 2 out of 3!!) is ridiculous. To win a Slam, you must play 7 good matches, knowing that there is no life-line. You must be at your best, and you don't get to lose a match and get through to the next round based on the results of others.

And finally, how could the YEC ever be considered a major when it is changing venues every few years? There would be no history or tradition, it would be a joke.

Completely agree well said the YEC should not be a major as in a slam it gives the opportunity for 128 different people to win and it is more physically demanding, how many times are there an upset early in a slam so the YEC should not be a major as only 8 people can play in it and in a major anything can happen the best doesnt always have to win
cornet224 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #82
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And yet, it still isn't classified as a major.
Ever notice how trolls never reply to pointed comments like this?

JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #83
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
the OP has hated the Australian Open for a while now. I think he was the poster who said earlier this year the Australian Open should be stripped of Grand Slam status. I may be wrong but criticizing the Australian Open seems to be a sport on this forum
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #84
country flag Idemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1979 View Post
the OP has hated the Australian Open for a while now. I think he was the poster who said earlier this year the Australian Open should be stripped of Grand Slam status. I may be wrong but criticizing the Australian Open seems to be a sport on this forum
This.
DOUBLES TITLES: 2014 Biarritz $100K (w/HenryMag.), 2014 Nottingham $50K (w/cornet224), 2014 Melbourne $15K (w/cornet224)
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #85
country flag lenas warriors

lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To win a Slam you have to beat 2 or even less top 10 players. To win YEC you have to beat 4 top players. Moreover, you have to qualify for YEC. Just looking through YEC winners and Slam winners during the last 15 years it's obvious that winning YEC is tougher task than winning Slam , but it's still less prestigious.
Technically you can win YEC with 3 wins and 2 losses. SF And F wins can be walkovers/retirements too.
Amaze-arenka, Shit-ova and Halep
Hantuchova, Petrova, Zvonareva, Goerges, Koukalova, The Other Czechs, Halep, Keys, Townsend, Paszek
Li, Sharapova, Pavlyuchenkova, Makarova, The Other Russians, Kerber, Kanepi, Shvedova, Martic, Watson, Robson, Kimiko, Barthel, Erakovic
lenas warriors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #86
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenas warriors View Post
Technically you can win YEC with 3 wins and 2 losses. SF And F wins can be walkovers/retirements too.
Technically you can win a Slam by W/O in QF, SF, Final.

but it never happened, same as at YEC winning YEC after 2 losses never happened. Why? When top 8 players are in the competition it makes flukes less possible. Player with 2 losses in RR can't beat leader of the other group and after that for instance player who beat her in RR.

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #87
country flag CheddarChomper

CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Technically you can win a Slam by W/O in QF, SF, Final.

but it never happened, same as at YEC winning YEC after 2 losses never happened. Why? When top 8 players are in the competition it makes flukes less possible. Player with 2 losses in RR can't beat leader of the other group and after that for instance player who beat her in RR.
Can't or probably won't? Two very different things.

BRAZIL 2014
Tall and tan and young and lovely
The girl from Ipanema goes walking
And when she passes, each one she passes
Goes "Aaaah"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJkxFhFRFDA
CheddarChomper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #88
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarChomper View Post
Can't or probably won't? Two very different things.
can be a Slam won with just 4 wins over low ranked player? QF. SF, Final - W/O?

This year we had a Slam won without a single match against top 15 player, it can't happen at YEC.

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #89
country flag CheddarChomper

CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute

^ Not a fluke though. She did what she had to do - the other entrants didn't - so she was a worthy winner. Your argument adds nothing to persuade me that the YEC should become a 5th major.

BRAZIL 2014
Tall and tan and young and lovely
The girl from Ipanema goes walking
And when she passes, each one she passes
Goes "Aaaah"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJkxFhFRFDA
CheddarChomper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #90
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Quote:
can be a Slam won with just 4 wins over low ranked player? QF. SF, Final - W/O?

This year we had a Slam won without a single match against top 15 player, it can't happen at YEC.
Are you saying Sharapovas French Open title should be stripped since she only played 1 player ranked inside the top 20 to win her title