Your first live match... - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 9th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #31
country flag Sloejelly

Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold
Re: Your first live match...

First match: The first year the Aus Open moved to its current location from Kooyong which was 1988. I don't remember who I saw, but I had a grounds pass and went about 3 days. We'd also played tennis there in the months prior (first time playing on rebound ace and I remember thinking I liked en tout cas better!).

Seat preference: Corner, but slightly around to the side rather than the end. As close to the front as possible, and also the side facing the cameras and umpire (who have been on the same side at the matches I've been to). If you're the side behind the ump and cameras they can restrict your view. But I too prefer early days and quallies. For me, walking around and seeing a load of different matches (plus my faves practicing and the mundaneness of walking to and from the court) is better than an arena seat where I might not enjoy the match as much, but feel obliged to stick with as I've paid $$$$ for the seat.). It's also economics: I can go for about 4 days for the price of one finals ticket.

As for Wimbledon .... don't worry about getting tickets. Do the Queue. Tons of fun, and a much better experience (IMHO) than a court seat. And if you get inside and really have to be in a show court, you can join the queue for returned tickets. I've done the Queue at Wimbles on 3 different years and everytime it's been a fabulous day.
Sloejelly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 9th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #32
country flag tennis-insomniac

tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute

Thailand Open Final 2008: Tsonga def. Djokovic (not a very good experience because it was played in a big arena and I sat at the farthest brink).

First WTA match is Pattay Fianl 2009: Zvonareva def. Mirza (great experience as I got a seat at the one of the first few rows).

Since then I've been a regular tournament-goer, wherever I am, and whenever I could afford the time and money.

-"Still On The Road"
tennis-insomniac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #33
country flag ¤CharlDa¤
Team WTAworld

¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCourt~Rally View Post
Els Callens... There's a blast from the past She was so cute with her short fluff of blonde hair
Everybody LOVED her in Quebec City. And the hyper fast surface of Club Avantage did wonders for her game back then. She was always quite nice too.

I also have vivid memories of other random journeywomen players from those years: Jolene Watanabe, Jane Chi, Tracy Almedia-Singian (got to meet her last year and tell her she was the first ever match I was a ballboy for in 1999), etc.
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #34
country flag Svizac

Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all

I rarely go to tennis tournaments, but when I was in Australia in January 2012 I went to see WTA Brisbane. My first live match was Jelena Jankovic vs. Francesca Schiavone. Sadly, Empress lost that match after missing some match points...
Svizac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #35
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj594 View Post
Amelia Island 2008 Sharapova Vs. Bondarenko.
LOL--I was there the next day....

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
'
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #36
country flag Sexysova
I'm back and fierce, bitches!

Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute

FED CUP 2008 CZE vs. SVK - Cetkovska vs. Cibulkova, I think and then my Nicole
Sexysova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #37
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

I think my first live match was Henin and Davenport in the New Haven final and Lindsay retired . Still WAY different to see it live though than on TV (in a great way). I'd sit as close as possible though. You can't see the points the same way you can on TV if you're sitting down by the court but you get to see the players way up close and just their form, the sound of the ball on their racket, how fast the ball goes, their emotions etc. and that's what makes watching live interesting. If anything do that at matches though where you care less about the result so you can just experience the tennis than worry about who's winning.

As for as where to sit, I think the corners are the most desirable in a stadium because you get a full view of the court. Otherwise behind the baseline. If you sit in the middle you're moving your head back and forth and the umpire chair is in the way, so not fun.
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #38
country flag ZetaKizzy

ZetaKizzy is a splendid one to behold ZetaKizzy is a splendid one to behold ZetaKizzy is a splendid one to behold ZetaKizzy is a splendid one to behold ZetaKizzy is a splendid one to behold ZetaKizzy is a splendid one to behold ZetaKizzy is a splendid one to behold ZetaKizzy is a splendid one to behold ZetaKizzy is a splendid one to behold ZetaKizzy is a splendid one to behold ZetaKizzy is a splendid one to behold

Isner-Fish in the ATL final in 2010. I remember almost catching one of Isner's serves and it being so hot that my knees were sweating. TV really doesn't do justice to 1) how tall Isner is and 2) how high his serves kick up. Saw them again in the same tournament, same match in 2011. Since that tournament moved here, I go every year.
ZetaKizzy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #39
country flag Spencer.
Backhand Pays the Bills

Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute

My first tennis match live was ATP down in Delray Beach.

My first WTA live match was this year at 25K Macon, Georgia qualies. Di Zhou vs. Kristen Wiley. The first main draw match I saw was Tatishvili vs. Eikeri, then Tomljanovic vs. Brengle, and then Tatishvili vs. Tomljanovic
Spencer. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #40
country flag Spencer.
Backhand Pays the Bills

Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svizac View Post
I rarely go to tennis tournaments, but when I was in Australia in January 2012 I went to see WTA Brisbane. My first live match was Jelena Jankovic vs. Francesca Schiavone. Sadly, Empress lost that match after missing some match points...
Good to know some of my tears were shed on Aussie soil that day
Spencer. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #41
country flag Mattographer
TF's Resident Photographer

Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney 2000: Alexandra Stevenson vs. Anne-Gaelle Sidot Sexy Lexy! She was the first tennis player I got an autograph from And it says, "Alex Sydney"

Listen to the silence. That's who I am and what I like.
Mattographer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #42
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the Hopman cup 2003, including a serena. Interesting experience, if you blink you miss an action and you go what happened? I was half expecting replays, something you get used to on tv. The players were so surreal. I got really close to serena, hantuchova and I think safina. Their skins looked so beautiful and so healthy. you will be surprised how white tennis clothes look, I guess TV absorbs some of that whiteness. Walking around the grounds, you will tell who is a player just based on their clothes.
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 01:19 AM   #43
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

McEnroe vs Pecci followed with Kriek vs Tulasne at the Arenes of Fréjus, South-eastern France, July or August 1981. John McEnroe before the match shot some balls in the crowd and the first one went directly to me.

McEnroe and Tulasne won. Kriek was very funny. Will never forget the first serve I ever witnessed, from Victor Pecci. I mean, it was like a storm or something. I was twelve years old and just starting to play tennis a lot with my father. That Pecci serve amazed me and I realized how high the level of the champions was.

I have yet to watch a live match with ladies. Probably will if I keep following the tour on the net like I did this year.
Hugues Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #44
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon 1996. Due to rain in the second week they had to finish some of the doubles on the Monday and it was free to get in. They were also selling off the strawberries cheap.

Unfortunately we didn't get there early enough to see a 15 year-old Hingis winning the doubles with Sukova. There were only a few games left to play of that one and a tube drivers strike made getting to SW19 difficult, especially if you were coming from outside London. But there was still mixed doubled to be played. I remember seeing Pam Shriver, Helena Sukova and Mark Woodforde on Centre Court.

There was an added bonus in that it was the last year of the old Court 1. Since it was no longer being used, they let people walk around it and even sit in the umpire's chair.

Great day and I've been back many times since.

bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #45
country flag vswfan

vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute

1999 US Open 4R Serena vs Conchita Martinez. That was such a high quality one!
vswfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote