Mid Sized Racket Users - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 9th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #1
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
Mid Sized Racket Users

Hi guys,

For most of my tennis playing life I have played with mid sized rackets (88 to 95 head size). They suite my game and I get so much satisfaction beating people playing with bigger, more powerful rackets who play the modern game of more spin. Lately I have been curious though to see how my game would go playing with a bigger head size/more power. Like am I making things more difficult for myself playing with a smaller racket or would my game fall apart with a bigger frame? I am just wondering if any mid sized users have ever made the switch (temporarily and hated it or permanently). I will probably demo a few just to get this out of my system but I'm just curious to see how people went.

My current stick is the Yonex VCore 89.

Last edited by Andy. : Dec 9th, 2013 at 04:13 AM.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 9th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #2
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid Sized Racket Users

I made the switch from 95 to 97 years ago. I, too, want to get a bigger frame but all the bigger frames are head heavy and generally light racquets.

Any suggestions on a 100-110 frame that's head light and relatively heavy? Say 320 grams+ at unstrung?

As for you, I think you should be fine if you demo the racquet and just adjust your strings accordingly.

Last edited by Sam L : Dec 9th, 2013 at 07:47 AM.
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 11:41 PM   #3
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

So... did you switch? I ask because I've been wanting to go up in headsize too and I think I'll finally do it this year.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #4
country flag jarko111

jarko111 is a splendid one to behold jarko111 is a splendid one to behold jarko111 is a splendid one to behold jarko111 is a splendid one to behold jarko111 is a splendid one to behold jarko111 is a splendid one to behold jarko111 is a splendid one to behold jarko111 is a splendid one to behold jarko111 is a splendid one to behold jarko111 is a splendid one to behold jarko111 is a splendid one to behold

I played with a prokennex 110. I'm now playing with a variety of rackets all of them 100 Sq in. I think I am going to try to develop my game for the 100 frames. Make sure I can hit with no larger than 100 sq in.
jarko111 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #5
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of

I played for most of my teens and early 20s with a 98in racquet head, before I bought a Wilson K-Factor 6.1 (95in) with a tight string pattern. The difference in control was amazing. My current stick is a Volkl Power Bridge 10 (93in). I love it.

For me a smaller racquet head makes sense because I have no problem generating pace, and I S&V as my primary weapon. Control is king. When I use an oversize racquet, it feels like a trampoline. I feel overpowered - shots just don't go where I want them to go.

With a midsize racquet a heavy swingweight gives me plenty of power, and an open string pattern and a soft multifilament gives me plenty of spin for my game. I will stick with my mid until I get to late 30s or early 40s and my natural power starts to decline.

That said, I grew up on early 90s grass and although I slice my BH a lot, my 'topspin' FH is very flat by today's standards. I can understand the advantage of a big racquet head if you play with a pretty extreme grip, particularly on the forehand. If you are getting a ton of brush up the ball a bigger sweet spot would make a massive difference. If you generate a lot of topspin, you are also a lot more capable of controlling the extra power than someone like me who hits relatively flat.

If you play a heavy topspin game, definitely give a bigger racquet a go. Modern strokes are not really designed to be played with an 89in racquet head.

Last edited by Caesar1844 : Jan 27th, 2014 at 09:34 AM.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote