Does Pova have a skill block or a mental block vs Serena? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Pova has a skill or mental block against Serena?

Skill block 81 55.10%
Mental block 66 44.90%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 8th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #16
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does Pova have a skill block or a mental block vs Serena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollPova View Post
yes, Empress has more "skills" then Maria
she has different skills.the ones needed to trouble (and beat at times)Serena.And she has one "skill" Maria hasn't when she faces Serena : she doesn't shit her pants before entering the court.
So to answer to the poll : both
homogenius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 8th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #17
country flag TennisPhan

TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtennisphan View Post
I think JJ has a massive mental block against Sharapova, same with Dementieva. Both players lived and died in matches against Serena (a bit like Jennifer Capriati) and would flounder like kicked pups against Maria (Elena especially). It was like watching two entirely different players in her case.
I agree. Maria is very intimidating, which is good, but it doesnt work against Rena cause of the .... Block
TennisPhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #18
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisPhan View Post
You just described 'skill block' and I agree with you. She just doesnt have the skills to beat Serena when shes playing well. Players like Vika and JJ have got that little extra that is needed when they are at their best.
Well, the way I understood your definition of skillblock, is the same as writer block.
You know it is there, but just went away temporarily.

That is NOT what I am talking about here.
Maria's skills are all there, they have not gone anywhere.
At their optimum, their bite is simply not enough to cause damage to Serena's defense or offense.

And there is a big difference between our 2 definitions there.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #19
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by homogenius View Post
she has different skills.the ones needed to trouble (and beat at times)Serena.And she has one "skill" Maria hasn't when she faces Serena : she doesn't shit her pants before entering the court.
So to answer to the poll : both
All the "skills" Empress may have to beat Serena hasn't translated to any results though, and if she has so much skill to beat the Lord, shouldn't she have some Majors by now? Honestly, I'd never take a couple more wins against Serena if it meant Maria didn't have all her achievements
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #20
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All the "skills" Empress may have to beat Serena hasn't translated to any results though, and if she has so much skill to beat the Lord, shouldn't she have some Majors by now? Honestly, I'd never take a couple more wins against Serena if it meant Maria didn't have all her achievements
these skills have translated in wins vs Serena.That's the topic at hands, not who achieved more in their career.maria's skills may work vs a lot of players but they are usless vs Serena.And then there is the mental part...no need to elaborate
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #21
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

100% mental
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #22
country flag wtennisphan

wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
Mental block
What is the mental block? And if cured is she going suddenly turn the entire head to head around. The matchup is far more than that. Forget the offense, Serena's defense alone has won her matches against Sharapova, when not playing her best, as in the French Open. People forget that Serena eats, Sharapova's weapons for breakfast off the ground and especially of the return.

Sharapova has to be near perfect on serve and defend incredible amounts of breakpoints to even stay with Serena. That's not a mental block.
wtennisphan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #23
country flag Vulturepova
Step to this. I dare you.

Vulturepova has a reputation beyond repute Vulturepova has a reputation beyond repute Vulturepova has a reputation beyond repute Vulturepova has a reputation beyond repute Vulturepova has a reputation beyond repute Vulturepova has a reputation beyond repute Vulturepova has a reputation beyond repute Vulturepova has a reputation beyond repute Vulturepova has a reputation beyond repute Vulturepova has a reputation beyond repute Vulturepova has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely skill.

Lisicki beat Serena this year and reached the Wimbledon final.

Maria still has zero slams.

PopCon 2013.
Vulturepova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #24
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
these skills have translated in wins vs Serena.That's the topic at hands, not who achieved more in their career.maria's skills may work vs a lot of players but they are usless vs Serena.And then there is the mental part...no need to elaborate
And Maria's skills have translated to wins vs Serena too, and at more pivotal moments, so..

And the topic at hand is something that's been discussed in countless other threads countless other times, all day every day. This thread isn't necessary.
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #25
country flag TennisPhan

TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Well, the way I understood your definition of skillblock, is the same as writer block.
You know it is there, but just went away temporarily.

That is NOT what I am talking about here.
Maria's skills are all there, they have not gone anywhere.
At their optimum, their bite is simply not enough to cause damage to Serena's defense or offense.

And there is a big difference between our 2 definitions there.
No, with skill block it's that the player has the skills but they are inferior in every way to the opponents skills.
The 'skills going away temporarily' = mental block LOL
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #26
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

There were comments about how big Maria's legs looked yesterday, but I have seen a lot of photos where they look about the same...I found this one from January of 2012.....http://img235.imagevenue.com/img.php...2_122_78lo.jpg
Photos can be deceiving, but in this one from Friday, the legs don't look bigger, but the muscle tone looks much better.http://www.imagebam.com/image/05fa25293677211...I have a feeling Maria and her new coach are going to be concentrating on maximum muscle fitness, and I think they have Serena in mind. It might help some, or it might even backfire....but I think an effort is being made, whether for her overall game, or with an emphasis on Serena. Not only is Serena a great player.....she is even stronger now than she was five years ago....
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #27
country flag homogenius

Quote:
And Maria's skills have translated to wins vs Serena too, and at more pivotal moments, so..

And the topic at hand is something that's been discussed in countless other threads countless other times, all day every day. This thread isn't necessary.
yeah, the good old days...I remember, Maria still had hair on her head

Seriously I agree, it's just a bait thread
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #28
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What is the mental block? And if cured is she going suddenly turn the entire head to head around. The matchup is far more than that. Forget the offense, Serena's defense alone has won her matches against Sharapova, when not playing her best, as in the French Open. People forget that Serena eats, Sharapova's weapons for breakfast off the ground and especially of the return.

Sharapova has to be near perfect on serve and defend incredible amounts of breakpoints to even stay with Serena. That's not a mental block.
Serena plays better against Maria than against any other player and Maria plays worse against Serena than any other player, she's not as agressive, she hits softer, and she doesn't serve well and always hits shitloads of DF at the worst times.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #29
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

Quote:
yeah, the good old days...I remember, Maria still had hair on her head

Seriously I agree, it's just a bait thread
Well obviously, and then Maria's fans are called the fanbase with the most trolls
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #30
country flag TennisPhan

Quote:

You're on fire today! I believe Fed also has a skills block against Rafa. His weapons are just not good enough. Of course it will have an impact on his mentality, but he cant change the fact that Rafa's topspin FH will always destroy his BH, as Serena's serve/defense/offense will always be too much for Pova.

Conclusion: initially it starts and stays a skills block and eventually affects the mentality of the player. I figured it out, thx.