Why Serena is still well behind Chris and Martina N. - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 26th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #16
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why Serena is still well behind Chris and Martina N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renstar View Post
Serena tends to have a one dimensional power game and tends to overpower opponents due to her strength for a woman.
You all are still singing this mid-90s song, eh?

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 26th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #17
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well suppose Serena gets that illusive 18th GS singles title to put her on par with Navratilova and Evert, behind Graff and Court. There are a number of factors her record should still be seen well below the achievements of Evert and Navratilova.
But it won't be.

I respect Evert for coming around to be pro-Serena, when a one point, she was suspicious of Serena's commitment and work-ethic. I respect Hav's honesty in not wanting to see her accomplishments equaled. it's a rivalry un-matched in the history of sports.

The fact that Serena played so many fewer tournament than Nav will be reasoned in her favor. Her doubles career will be viewed favorably vs Evert. The four gold medals won't hurt either.

Hope you get a chance to write why Serena's reaching 22 slams isn't a good as Graf.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #18
country flag JLG

JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute

Serena you ol goat, you
JLG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #19
spartanfan

spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute

How is it Serena's fault that she has chosen over the course of her career to not play a butt load of MM tournaments, chasing the all mighty $ and pading her resume. Serena has had larger endorsement deals and has never felt the need to play 22 or 25 tournaments a year.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #20
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well suppose Serena gets that illusive 18th GS singles title to put her on par with Navratilova and Evert, behind Graff and Court. There are a number of factors her record should still be seen well below the achievements of Evert and Navratilova.

Regarding Evert it must be realised she missed out a great number of Australian Opens and quite a few French Opens. The AO was not considered the major tournament it is today back in the 70s and was often skipped by a lot of the top ladies of the time. Evert attended the AO only 6 times in her 19 year tennis career, winning twice. At this current time Serena has attended the AO 13 times for 5 wins.

In regards to the FO over her 19 year playing career Chris she missed the FO 6 times, winning 7 times (attending 13 FO). The missed years were due to her playing World Team Tennis and restrictions put on her that she not be allowed to play the FO due to her WTT commitments. Serena has attended the FO 16 times with 2 wins.

Chris attended the USO an incredible 19 times in a row from 1971-1989, winning 6 times. Serena has attended the USO 14 times for 5 wins.

Chris attended Wimbledon 18 times with 3 wins, although reaching an astonishing 7 additonal finals on other occassion, invariably losing to Martina on most of those occassions.

Evert reached 34 GS singles finals, more than any other male or female player in history as well as having the higest winning percentage in male or female history of 90.05% with 157 career titles, well clear of Serenas 57. So based on these factors if they were to be equal at 18 GS singles titles each I still put Chris well ahead.

In comparison to Martina Navratilova I put Martina well ahead of Serena by sheer volume of her 167 career titles (compared to Serenas 57) which includes 18 GS singles titles, a record 31 GS womens doubles titles and 15 GS mixed doubles titles. Serena has 13 GS womens doubles titles and 4 GS mixed titles, well short of Martina's records.

I also consider Chris and Martina as being much more versatile players than Serena is, having had to play Grand Slams on varying surfaces such as Grass, different types of clay and hard courts. They also had to contend with wooden and graphite rackets. Their versatility is also seen particularly in Martina who could rally with the very best baseliners and yet showed one of the most skilled volley games in modern history. Serena tends to have a one dimensional power game and tends to overpower opponents due to her strength for a woman.

In any case this is my opinion backed by facts.
I see no lies here. Brilliant post

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #21
country flag histery

histery has a reputation beyond repute histery has a reputation beyond repute histery has a reputation beyond repute histery has a reputation beyond repute histery has a reputation beyond repute histery has a reputation beyond repute histery has a reputation beyond repute histery has a reputation beyond repute histery has a reputation beyond repute histery has a reputation beyond repute histery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
I see no lies here. Brilliant post
You opinion is invalid because of your blind hate for Serena, cause she snatched your fave's wig 13 times in a row
histery is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #22
country flag JLG

JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute

Well...this is before my time, but Bill russell was widely known as the goat even against Wilt and he had 11 titles. He even won after aurerbach retired while a player-coach

Today Jordan is seen as the goat, and rightfully so with "only" 6 titles

Title- count don't really tell the whole story cause when I saw video of Bill...he looked about as talented as Alonzo mourning, but much smarter.

I think Hingis and Venus are both greater than their record too

So what i'm saying is that these people's never-ending quest to diminish Serena is an extreme waste of time, and probably just like to engage Serena fans
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #23
country flag JLG

The GLOAT, baby
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #24
country flag superstition

superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniscreep View Post
Tennis was at a totally different level of development back then, the gap between top players and lower ranked one was way bigger than it's now. You have to take Chris's and Martina's stats with a grain of salt, their opposition was way weaker. If a player back then had a single weapon that stood out in the field, they were able to dominate almost everybody they encountered. That's also the reason why they played way more matches and won way more titles.
That's not true at all. You're just forgetting about all of the good players that were around. Martina and Evert played against a lot of people you probably haven't heard of who were excellent players. Plus, Navratilova especially had to deal with extreme depth: Graf, Seles, Capriati, Davenport, Pierce, Evert, Mandlikova, Sabatini, and so on.

Tennis seems to have more depth now because you're more familiar with today's game and players. When Martina first started she had to contend with Goolagong, who beat her in a lot of close three set matches, Court, and many others. She also played a ton of mid-grade players that no one remembers but who are like the Schiavones, Bartolis, and Stosurs of yesteryear.

Evert and Navratilova were so far above the rest because they were geniuses on the court. Evert was an incredible machine and Martina became one. But, even Evert -- in the middle of her record clay run, was beaten by Austin. She was also beaten after another record run by Mandlikova.

Players had very complete games. In fact, they had more variety back then, not less. Evert's mastery of the lob and drop shot were crucial to her game, and she could volley just fine -- especially at her prime with wood on clay. Navratilova was also very skilled with the drop shot.

Speaking of depth... even though Martina had an 86-1 season... guess who beat her. Kathy Horvath. Yes, the Kathy Horvath.
superstition is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #25
country flag F2DaH

F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold

Chris herself said the players in her day didn't need to be athletes...what kind of shit is that? And that events didn't begin until the QF, as they slept through the early rounds...da fuck? Good thing the legends realize the gap between players is much smaller and competition can't be compared. No way on hell any top player can play 3 events per tourney every week and win every week. The physicality of the game far exceeds that of the paddy cake era.
F2DaH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #26
country flag superstition

superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2DaH View Post
Chris herself said the players in her day didn't need to be athletes...what kind of shit is that? And that events didn't begin until the QF, as they slept through the early rounds...da fuck? Good thing the legends realize the gap between players is much smaller and competition can't be compared. No way on hell any top player can play 3 events per tourney every week and win every week. The physicality of the game far exceeds that of the paddy cake era.
Evert says a lot of things that either aren't true or that are wildly inaccurate. Get used to it. She claims Federer's losses have had more emotional impact than her own. It's a long list of silly comments.

Her results may have seemed easy to her because she was a metronomic machine on the court, especially the clay court. Plus, when you have to contend with Navratilova of all people, and then Graf... the other players do shrink by comparison.
superstition is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #27
country flag F2DaH

F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstition View Post
Evert says a lot of things that either aren't true or that are wildly inaccurate. Get used to it. She claims Federer's losses have had more emotional impact than her own. It's a long list of silly comments.

Her results may have seemed easy to her because she was a metronomic machine on the court, especially the clay court. Plus, when you have to contend with Navratilova of all people, and then Graf... the other players do shrink by comparison.
K, lemme know when you fall out of her head. I wanna jump in and see her thoughts, too. Especially why she would chose to diminish herself for the sake of Serena.
F2DaH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #28
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, the only reason why Serena hasn't caught up with Evert and Navratilova, it is because her passion prior to 2011 for the sport is not equal to Evert and Navratilova, not even half. She only became a tennis player because Venus was one. Everyone knows it, everyone knows if her passion is even half of what it is today. She has come to event unfit and without proper practice. It has been the swan song for years that has frustrated many that she doesn't commit to tennis and wastes her talent.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #29
country flag GameSetJJ
Delusional Jankobitch

GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstition View Post

Tea of truth.

Evert thought Radwanska was gonna win the FO at one point.

Bartoli Li Serena
GameSetJJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #30
country flag gbenga

gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute

Desperate haters already scrambling silly argument for when our lovely Serena hit 18. The desperation
gbenga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote