coaching Halep from behind the keyboard - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 25th, 2014, 09:58 AM   #31
country flag CristianB8

CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serve2Win View Post
Radwanska, Errani, Vinci, Kerber have no powerful serves.
I wish her not play like Radwanska.Errani,Vinci and Kerber :P

You saw the final I suppose, Dominika serves were terrible
CristianB8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 14th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #32
country flag Serve2Win

Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future

I can't post a small section of the video here so I posted it on tennisgamers.

New changes. Stepping closer to the baseline. I think the coach is making already a difference. Hope it will continue.
Watch this 30-second video. Watch where Halep is playing from. It's not by the wall. Small changes are coming. She is standing closer to the baseline.
http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/vi...?p=75016#75016
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #33
country flag gabriel_ar

gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice

Besides technical skills that she could improve (play at the net, the way she positions herself when hitting a volley, better striking from a static position, etc), I was surprised to see that in the matches at IW she stayed farther back the baseline, and as a result her striking lacked in precision, efficiency, timing. Even when she deffended, she could not reach the ball in a good position, as it was further away from her in a lateral position.
Maybe it is because she still has a lot to learn, so she doesn't really have a steady tactic right now. Hope she will always play nice matches though!
gabriel_ar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 03:15 AM   #34
country flag gabriel_ar

gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice gabriel_ar is just really nice

I think after her match with Aga, she proved me wrong regarding her play at the baseline. Very nice play. Maybe she plays good tennis only in important matches? Is this a usual strategy?
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #35
country flag Not A Fan

Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold Not A Fan is a splendid one to behold

Hello gabriel_ar!

I think that's her main priority, to play inside the court and step up as much as she can! She's well aware of the fact that it's hard for her to win when playing 2m behind the baseline. Actually she's always saying "i just want to try to be aggressive"...

SI's Beyond The Baseline also has some thoughts on this topic. And I think it's spot on.

Quote:
Beyond The Baseline @SI_BTBaseline
Developing a more reliable transition game at the net would take Halep to another level. Really could have ended a few points earlier.
Not A Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #36
country flag Serve2Win

Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future Serve2Win has a brilliant future

Halep needs to go to the net on her OWN INITIATIVE, not just when she if forced by the opponent to run for a drop shot or a short ball.
Against A.Rad last night, there were points that Halep had already won after 4 or 5 strokes when A.Rad was by the wall just struggling to put the ball back in play. That's where the top players recognize the situation, move in, and put the ball away.

You don't wait back, and give your opponent all the time in the world to safely put the ball back and get back in position... and continue the rally.

This is the next big step Halep has to take. She didn't give A.Rad different looks. It was always "I can stand here on the baseline and hit good shots until it's a winner". That's a junior game. It won't win you a Grand Slam.

We've got work to do in that department. Go to net on your own time. Surprise the opponent. Force the opponent to hit a passing shot.

Coach's got time to start working on that. It's crucial.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #37
country flag CristianB8

CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of CristianB8 has much to be proud of

And the serve please, it's also crucial (in the important moments especially)
Am I the only one obsessed with this thing and think that it doesn't help her at all?
She is scared to serve first in the match (even she knows probably that this is a major problem), AGA won the head/tail contest and then served with confidence and we know how fast she made 4-0!
And i don't think AGA has one of the most serve in the world, but is pretty good!
From top 10 just Errani and Na Li(for the moment) are doing worse than Simona in this compartiment!

edit: best not most, wtf ,i have this bad habit to rush ahead and make stupid and easy mistakes

Simona Halep!

Last edited by CristianB8 : Mar 15th, 2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #38
country flag CheddarChomper

CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianB8 View Post
And the serve please, it's also crucial (in the important moments especially)
Am I the only one obsessed with this thing and think that it doesn't help her at all?
She is scared to serve first in the match (even she knows probably that this is a major problem), AGA won the head/tail contest and then served with confidence and we know how fast she made 4-0!
And i don't think AGA has one of the most serve in the world, but is pretty good!
From top 10 just Errani and Na Li(for the moment) are doing worse than Simona in this compartiment!
Yeah, her serve against Aga was pretty poor, just pushing it in much of the time. She needed to get some easy points off her serve but she didn't.

Regarding winning the toss and electing to receive ... I like it as a strategy (most of the WTA does it). If you need a game to feel things out then there's not much lost by losing a return game. However, if you're able to hit freely, there's always the possibility of the immdediate break which puts your opponent under pressure and on the back foot. IMO, electing to serve after winning the toss just puts you under huge pressure to be on your game, right from the first ball, with little room for error.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #39
country flag Serve2Win

To me, it's not a good sign to win the toss and elect to receive. That's just me.
I think it signals nervousness. I could be wrong. But you've got to want to serve and get on top of your opponent, right from the start. even if you don't have the best serve, you have to want to hold. If you can't hold, you can't win a match anyway. lol.

So you go to a match hoping to receive first. What if your opponent wins the toss and wants you to serve? LOL LOL. Panic time.... You are lost because that was not your plan. You were not ready.

When Sloane won the toss against Pennetta and elected to receive, I had this feeling she was not ready to play.

Halep's serve is not bad. A.Rad is not someone who hits huge returns. So why not take it to her right from the start? For some reason, Halep was a nervous wreck. That's why she started making ugly errors and fell back quickly 4-0.

Last edited by Serve2Win : Mar 15th, 2014 at 07:23 PM.
Serve2Win is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #40
country flag CristianB8

Quote:
To me, it's not a good sign to win the toss and elect to receive. That's just me.
I think it signals nervousness. I could be wrong. But you've got to want to serve and get on top of your opponent, right from the start. even if you don't have the best serve, you have to want to hold. If you can't hold, you can't win a match anyway. lol.

So you go to a match hoping to receive first. What if your opponent wins the toss and wants you to serve? LOL LOL. Panic time.... You are lost because that was not your plan. You were not ready.

When Sloane won the toss against Pennetta and elected to receive, I had this feeling she was not ready to play.

Halep's serve is not bad. A.Rad is not someone who hits huge returns. So why not take it to her right from the start? For some reason, Halep was a nervous wreck. That's why she started making ugly errors and fell back quickly 4-0.
Anyway, if the coach would repair this little flaws in her game, she could really be though to beat almost by everyone in WTA especially on clay!
I mean, i'm very happy for her doing so well in this IW even she wasn't in her best form, but i really feel she could have done slightly better last night!

Simona Halep!
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #41
country flag Serve2Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianB8 View Post
Anyway, if the coach would repair this little flaws in her game, she could really be though to beat almost by everyone in WTA especially on clay!
I totally agree with you.
For me, the coach has already made big changes.
Halep doesn't stand 10 miles behind the baseline anymore. Even when she does, she quickly reminds herself to get closer to the baseline.

She no longer steps backward when receiving serve. That was annoying me. Now it's gone.

The missing major piece for me is to volunteer to move forward behind some big shots as we discussed earlier... She has to make the opponent feel pressure on these big shots.
It's not her natural game. We saw her old videos. So it might take time to change her approach.

But WHEN she adds that piece to her game, she'll be harder to deal with.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #42
country flag CristianB8

Quote:
I totally agree with you.
For me, the coach has already made big changes.
Halep doesn't stand 10 miles behind the baseline anymore. Even when she does, she quickly reminds herself to get closer to the baseline.

She no longer steps backward when receiving serve. That was annoying me. Now it's gone.

The missing major piece for me is to volunteer to move forward behind some big shots as we discussed earlier... She has to make the opponent feel pressure on these big shots.
It's not her natural game. We saw her old videos. So it might take time to change her approach.

But WHEN she adds that piece to her game, she'll be harder to deal with.
And as a conclusion, i really hope Wim gives an eye to this sub-forum, just a little bit

Simona Halep!
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 07:05 AM   #43
country flag gabriel_ar

Thanks guys for your answers, hope too that Simona will become better, but also preserve the beautiful tennis that she plays.

1. I agree that Simona should try to make her attacking rallies shorter by going forward after a good shot. Hope she will improve on this. But I think she will have to integrate this new quality with the nicely positioned shots that bring her opponents in difficulty.
2. Regarding serve, it has improved since she has Wim by her side, and I hope she can still improve it.
3. For me the question still remains, why doesn't she play good matches also in the first stages of a tournament. She lost to Madison Keys, Mladenovici and almost to Kanepi in the first round of tournaments. Maybe she should be more careful with this.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #44
country flag CheddarChomper

CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
... But you've got to want to serve and get on top of your opponent, right from the start. even if you don't have the best serve, you have to want to hold. ...
I absolutely see what you're saying, but, to me, getting on top of your opponent by breaking them in the first game and putting them under pressure from the off is also a good way to approach a match. If your serve is also strong then you should take the second game too, increasing the pressure. As long as you don't panic when being put in to serve first, you're fine. Generally, Simona isn't the panicking kind, but it does often take her a game or two to find the weight on her shots, hence my preference that she receives if she wins the toss - there's less lost if she hits poorly in the first game.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #45
country flag Serve2Win

Halep said. "Every ball was in for her, and I had to run a lot. I think I started the match a bit too soft. I was not ready to play....."
- See more at: http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl....xrl8yDhE.dpuf

She was not ready. That's why she elected to receive. Maybe of a sudden she realized she might win this event. And became very nervous.
She'll learn that part of the game too, as she gets used to being a favorite to win.