Chris and Martina in the Same Event - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 26th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #16
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Re: Chris and Martina in the Same Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingraces View Post
Interesting. Amazing someone like Hana who has won 4 slams only won 2 events that Chris and Martina were both in. I would have figured Graf would be alot higher than 10 since she began winning alot of tournaments as early as 1986, and dominated the last 2-3 years when both Navratilova and Evert were both still on tour and near the top. I would have also guessed Goolagong being alot higher than 3 considering she was Evert's biggest rival and superior to Martina from 74-76.
Yeah, I hadn't thought about the fact that two of the Slams Hana won were Evert-less. During Graf's rise, Evert and Navratilova seemed to enter the same event less frequently. Also, Goolagong is quite surprising. She entered events with both players frequently, and sometimes beat one of them, but obviously not both very often.
Advertisement

Old Dec 19th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #17
country flag jeanmi18

jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light

I think Jaeger did not. She beat Martina in the semis in the Colgate championships in 1981 but her win over Chris in the Round-Robin was a walk-over.
jeanmi18 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #18
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think Jaeger did not. She beat Martina in the semis in the Colgate championships in 1981 but her win over Chris in the Round-Robin was a walk-over.
That's right Jeanmi18. Chris got sick that year with the flu I think. Young little Rollo was dissapointed because I was going to see Evert for the first time in person that year. I didn't get to see her until her very last year on tour-1989!

The Colgate event was played in the first week of 1981. At the time it was really considered the last event of 1980. I'm one of the few Tracy Austin fans around, but when Tracy won the event (killing Jaeger in the final) she tried to claim she was #1!

In Austin's view she had 2 majors (the Avon finale and the Colgate finale) to Evert's 1 (Tracy didn't count the French!).

Austin was selling, but no one was buying. Everyone agreed Evert was #1 for 1980. To my mind it was her best year ever outside of 1976. too bad she skipped the Aussie!
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #19
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Gotta admire Tracy's audacity! Austin did of course briefly become #1 in the summer of 1980, I think, but I was wondering how much that was a result of Evert "retiring" during the first months of 1980? Was it fair and square or was she helped by both Evert and Navratilova going through slumps at that time?

Continuing on the bitter Evert-Austin rivalry, it is interesting that after Evert had conquered her demons and defeated Austin using great all-court play in the famous 1980 US Open final, she was drawn in the same half of the draw as Tracy at Wimbledon in 1981 and 1982. I think Chris would have schooled Tracy on grass if they had met, but both times Tracy lost to a serve-and-volleyer (Shriver, King). They were even seeded to meet at Wimbledon in 1983 as well, but Tracy withdrew and Evert lost anyway in R3 to Kathy Jordan.
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #20
country flag laschutz

laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the evert/austin draw information.. one could only imagine if evert and austin played for the 80 wimby final BEFORE of course their u.s. open battle what the outcome would have been?...

and yes, 1981 on grass? evert was the better grass court player i think but that i don't know if it would mean a whole lot especially in 1981 when it was still a mind game between the two...

in 1982 i'm sure evert was expecting to play austin instead of king, since austin had never lost to king before. would have love to seen a 1982 match at wimby between evert and austin! one would think evert would have the edge at that time if only because she had been playing much more with more regularity than austin....

in 1983? i think this would be even more clearly to evert's advantage over austin who was declining as it was for the good part of what a year already?
laschutz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #21
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

So we do not take into account Martina's defection but yes sickness of Chris Evert. If I see the list of the players Martina is the only one who had to switch countries and leave her family.
It is even amazing she ended on the winning side of the rivalry after losing so many early.
Also attacking players mature more slowly in their game then baseliners. Baseline is easy you know,that is why we see so many of them today.
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #22
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon9 View Post
So we do not take into account Martina's defection but yes sickness of Chris Evert. If I see the list of the players Martina is the only one who had to switch countries and leave her family.
It is even amazing she ended on the winning side of the rivalry after losing so many early.
Also attacking players mature more slowly in their game then baseliners. Baseline is easy you know,that is why we see so many of them today.
We're talking about one instance of a default here, Martina...uh...I mean Wimbledon 9.
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #23
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Posted by wimbledon 9
No doubt though you are right when it comes to attacking--it really does take longer to mature. As a lefty myself it took me years to develop my volleying game. I love to attack, so watching Navratilova videos is not just fun but instructional

If Martina played today she wouldn't serve and volley on a regular basis and win slams. My vision is a sort of Amelie Mauresmo with stronger nerves. Martina remains as the last female serve and volley champion, unless you count Novotna, who was always more of a hybrid to me.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 12:35 PM   #24
country flag naaussiechamp

naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice

Is the poster Pam Shriver the real Pam Shriver?
naaussiechamp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 12:35 PM   #25
country flag naaussiechamp

naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice naaussiechamp is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
No doubt though you are right when it comes to attacking--it really does take longer to mature. As a lefty myself it took me years to develop my volleying game. I love to attack, so watching Navratilova videos is not just fun but instructional

If Martina played today she wouldn't serve and volley on a regular basis and win slams. My vision is a sort of Amelie Mauresmo with stronger nerves. Martina remains as the last female serve and volley champion, unless you count Novotna, who was always more of a hybrid to me.
Is Mauresmo really a serve and volleyer though. I think her as more an all court player (even a bit more baseliner) who is just one of the rare few who comes in alot as well.
naaussiechamp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote