Patrick On Serena: Insights On Her Motivation, Evolution, Refusal To Lose, 2014 Plan - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #1
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Patrick On Serena: Insights On Her Motivation, Evolution, Refusal To Lose, 2014 Plan

This the most expansive insights yet on Serena given by her coach.
It covers on every thing that makes Serena tick.

Fascinating read.

Quote:

Down and out in Paris: The man who rescued Serena Williams

By Chris Murphy, CNN
updated 7:35 AM EST, Wed November 20, 2013

(CNN) -- It was, the premature obituaries proclaimed, the beginning of the end for Serena Williams.
The indomitable figurehead of women's tennis had been humiliated and cowed -- turfed out of the 2012 French Open in the first round by an unheralded and unseeded opponent.
After an injury-blighted few seasons that saw her sink to 175 in the world rankings, Williams had hit one of the biggest troughs in her career.
Given all she had achieved, it would have been easy to throw in the towel -- but even at her lowest ebb, Serena's desire to clamber back to the top was insatiable.
But she needed help and, while still in Paris, she found it in the shape of coach Patrick Mouratoglou, with whom she has been linked romantically.

It was a partnership that was to restore Williams as the preeminent female player of her generation, culminating in her most successful season at the age of 32.
"What surprised me at that point was the motivation she had," Mouratoglou told CNN's Open Court show.
"She really was prepared to do anything to come back to the top.
"Her motivation was at the highest point, maybe, and it was very surprising for someone who had won so much, with such a career record and at that age.
"She was struggling a bit at the time because that loss really affected her, but she was motivated to work, so that's what she did."

The results speak for themselves.
Serena has won 16 titles in 16 months, with a record of 95 victories and five defeats since teaming up with Mouratoglou.
In 2013 she won 11 titles -- including the U.S. Open, French Open and season-ending WTA Championships -- the best return in women's tennis since Martina Hingis in 1997.
Such a formidable run, which saw her pocket a cool $12.3 million in prize money this season, means she now has 17 grand slam titles to her name. Only three players in the Open era have more.

But according to Mouratoglou, it was the humbling she was served in Paris that paved the way for this current, imperious streak.
"It's a failure, you have to accept it," he explained.
"When you have failure you can work to be better, and you realize sometimes it's good to come back to reality.
"That's how I see my role, to help her reduce the chances to lose to the strict minimum.
"I think the chances of her losing now are much smaller than in the past. If you look at the statistics they show it, but maybe we can do better -- and it's a real goal to do better."

That insistence Williams can reach even greater heights might make her rivals wince.
There are very few players in the modern game who can match the sheer power and intensity of Williams at her peak.
Though now in her thirties, Mouratoglou rejects any suggestions she is showing any signs of slowing down, and he thinks she can improve still further.

"For sure, she's unique," he said. "I've worked with hundreds of players and many in the top 50 men and women -- for me, I've not seen anyone like her.
"She's a real champion. It's not about the strokes, it's about what you have inside -- and she has something really special inside.
The quality of the game she is able to play at her age shows how much her game has evolved from most of the players.
"I think she improved in many ways her movement on the court; she moves much better, she moves longer also, she can play longer rallies, much longer if she needs to.

"I think she added some shots to her game that she was not using that much before. She wasn't using them because she wasn't mastering them like some other shots she masters like nobody else on tour.
"I think that's a key thing -- the more options she gets on tour in her game, the more chances to win she has on the first day of the year against the player who plays the best tennis of her career.
"If she plays her type of game with more efficiency, like being maybe even more aggressive, adding some volleys, some swing volleys for example, she can give another level, which is maybe a bit frightening, but I think she can."
Mouratoglou's influence has clearly galvanized Williams, but he insists it is her desire to take responsibility that makes her so unique.

Whereas others might look in desperation to their coach for help if a match is getting away from them, Serena grits her teeth and figures it out for herself.

"She has this ability to find a solution to win, she refuses to lose and this is something really interesting," he said.
"Most of the players when they are in trouble, or they are struggling, they are complaining.

"She shouldn't think, 'I have to rely on someone' to find the solution,' because she has the solution within herself.

She just has to analyze, think, and dig deep and find.

"Some (players) just complain and get angry, or give up -- that's the case of many players.
And some others call their coach whenever they get broken: 'Oh, I need my coach!'

"Come on, you don't need your coach every time you're broken.
You have to think what you should do and look for a solution, and this is something that Serena really has in herself."

So, with Serena in supreme form, is it conceivable she could smash all records in 2014 and win all four slams -- something not done since Steffi Graf in 1988?
"Yes, I think everything is possible," Mouratoglou says.
"Is it going to be easy? No, it's not going to be easy, because in terms of focus it's something really tough to achieve, and also we have to respect the quality of the other players."

source: http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/20/sport/...toglou-tennis/

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Live Stream, football, tennis, etc.. : http://www.sportlemon.tv/

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Nov 21st, 2013 at 12:06 AM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #2
country flag serena_the_queen

serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future
Re: Patrick On Serena: Insights On Her Motivation, Evolution, Refusal To Loose, 2014

So pumped for 2014
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #3
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrick On Serena: Insights On Her Motivation, Evolution, Refusal To Loose, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugrenaWilliams View Post
2013 was Serena's last year on top. She got lucky that all her challengers couldn't play their peak levels. If they actually stepped up there game, and didn't get scared by Serena's demeanour alone, they would have beaten her more.

I feel that 2014 will be the year that Azarenka finally shows what she is capable of, outside of Melbourne. And who knows, Sharapova's injury break might have given her the chance to actually improve her physique and strength, rather than just being extremely skinny.

Sloane, Euginie and Laura will also test Serena, imo. Oh, I almost forgot Radwanska, JJ, Sabine and Kivitova, they will lose a lot to Serena in 2014, but I still think all will pull off upsets against Serena.
Interesting user name

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Live Stream, football, tennis, etc.. : http://www.sportlemon.tv/
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #4
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

When I saw "loose" in the thread title, I knew immediately it would be English-inept tennisbum. And I was right.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #5
country flag crescentmoon

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Interesting user name
I can give you one guess who it is.
crescentmoon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #6
country flag RadWANDska

RadWANDska has a brilliant future RadWANDska has a brilliant future RadWANDska has a brilliant future RadWANDska has a brilliant future RadWANDska has a brilliant future RadWANDska has a brilliant future RadWANDska has a brilliant future RadWANDska has a brilliant future RadWANDska has a brilliant future RadWANDska has a brilliant future RadWANDska has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
When I saw "loose" in the thread title, I knew immediately it would be English-inept tennisbum. And I was right.
I know
RadWANDska is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #7
LeRoy.

LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Refusal To Loose
LOL
LeRoy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #8
country flag CanIGetAWhat
♥ All-American Reject

CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

CanIGetAWhat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #9
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

Her refusal is too loose?
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #10

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIGetAWhat View Post
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #11
country flag snkdy

snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all

Thanks for the article. I can't wait for next year.
snkdy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #12
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
bravo
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #13
country flag snkdy

snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all

Quote:
2013 was Serena's last year on top. She got lucky that all her challengers couldn't play their peak levels. If they actually stepped up there game, and didn't get scared by Serena's demeanour alone, they would have beaten her more.

I feel that 2014 will be the year that Azarenka finally shows what she is capable of, outside of Melbourne. And who knows, Sharapova's injury break might have given her the chance to actually improve her physique and strength, rather than just being extremely skinny.

Sloane, Euginie and Laura will also test Serena, imo. Oh, I almost forgot Radwanska, JJ, Sabine and Kivitova, they will lose a lot to Serena in 2014, but I still think all will pull off upsets against Serena.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #14
country flag snkdy

Quote:
Well it's true.. Please name to me more than 5 times that Azarenka or Sharapova played their peak levels vs Serena?

Apart from Doha and Cincinatti, Azarenka was poor vs Serena.

And Sharapova? Her French Open Final showing was WOEFUL.

No offence to Serena, but the stars really did align for her this year.
So every single time Sharapova has lost to Serena in the past 10 years, it's b/c she wasn't playing her best? Serena and Maria are not in the same hemisphere when it comes to tennis.

And I like Azarenka, but as of right now, Serena is better. We'll see what happens over the next year.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
This the most expansive insights yet on Serena given by her coach.
It covers on every thing that makes Serena tick.

Fascinating read.
Thanks for posting. Some very good insights into the mind of the greatest female champion. Obviously he thinks she is the greatest. Something interesting, he seems to be describing a few select top players when he referenced them as needing a coach during a match.