Serena as GOAT??? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 01:07 AM   #46
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serena as GOAT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues Daniel View Post
Please take a look at the seeds at the French Open from 1970 to 1979. I don't see much top players missing. Obviously Evert not playing for three years (76-78) was a big miss. But the French wasn't neglected by most top players for that matter.

Feel free to correct me everyone.

EDIT: on closer inspection, there's a hole of seeds in the years Evert missed: 76, 77 and 78 (but not from 1970 to 1975, either in 1979). I know there are some reasons for that, but I don't know much about it.
This is true, the reason Chris did not play the FO those years was because she was wasting her time playing team tennis. Otherwise, all the top players played the French since the second world war, and before.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 01:11 AM   #47
country flag rollingraces

rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all

Poor Chris. Had she played all the Australian Opens and French Opens in the 70s and retired after Wimbledon 81 or even after French Open 83 nearly everyone would think of her as the top choice as GOAT (to those who pick a GOAT today). She would even more slams despite retiring early, and nobody would have ever seen her get owned by Navratilova which I think colors peoples views of her in GOAT debates.
rollingraces is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 02:50 AM   #48
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingraces View Post
Poor Chris. Had she played all the Australian Opens and French Opens in the 70s and retired after Wimbledon 81 or even after French Open 83 nearly everyone would think of her as the top choice as GOAT (to those who pick a GOAT today). She would even more slams despite retiring early, and nobody would have ever seen her get owned by Navratilova which I think colors peoples views of her in GOAT debates.
Well, I'm glad she kept playing after 1983, since the 1985 French final remains one of Chris's most heroic matches ever.
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 04:34 AM   #49
country flag rollingraces

rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues Daniel View Post
Well, I'm glad she kept playing after 1983, since the 1985 French final remains one of Chris's most heroic matches ever.
For sure. Even if the way it turned out has her a big overshadowed in best ever talks, it probably was more personally fulfilling for her. She admits she enjoyed so much seeing how good she could be, and Martina pushed her to be that.
rollingraces is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #50
country flag laschutz

laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold

yeah, i can't stand it too when certain over opinionated, super self righteous, super loudmouth former players now commentators who well were hired for being loutmouths and opinionated in the first place wanting to get ratings (i.e. mr. j.p.mcenroe) rattle on like it's a beyond disputable fact that serena is the best of all time? and i might add not having the intelligence or knowledge of intricate tennis history to expound on this belief in the first place, using serena is the greatest of all time line as a quick short punchline,headline, teaser, etcetera...

just as non-sensical as tennis channels' much hyped and so much wronged "greatest 100 players of all time" show...

i think the only and i mean ONLY argument could be made that the actual argument in itself is that a number of players could lay waste to this title and that ONLY which players should even be in the conversation! that is the only argument one can make realistically!which players should be in the conversation and NOT which player IS the greatest!

then you get into the whole "eras' and technology and competition strength or weakness, are you judging titles or actual playing ability and so on and so on and so on...

however, i'm going to put it out there that the argument for goat should involve and in no particular order i might add: serena, graf, navratilova, court and evert AND THAT IS IT!. and yes, special mention in the discussion in regards to seles and connolly.
laschutz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #51
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good points RG.

Quote:
posted by laschutz just as non-sensical as tennis channels' much hyped and so much wronged "greatest 100 players of all time" show...
Amen to that!
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #52
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I do cite Court's 3 Wimbledon's as a weak spot (vs 6 for Billie Jean for example-in the same era).

When it comes to the Aussie though I am totally with you Thrust. She simply didn't lose until 1968-to Billie Jean-and that was when she was coming back on tour after a layoff. Her next defeat wasn't until 1975 to Navratilova, and this after Court was 30.

Besides, as Thrust wrote, there were other Aussie top tenners in the 1960s. Some years half the top 10 came from Australia!

Finally, in this year when the Fed Cup celebrates it's 50th birthday, I think it's important that Court is given credit for helping to start the Fed Cup. Nell Hopman got the event organized through her connections, but without Margaret Smith as world #1 Fed Cup would never have gotten off the ground. It was Fed Cup being held in Australia in 1965 that led to the best field in Australian women's history at Kooyong in 1965.
Ironically though, Court and King played in two Wimbledon finals, with Court winning both. Also, I have read that both Court and especially Rosewall, had allergy problems at Wimbledon.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #53
country flag cjire

cjire is just really nice cjire is just really nice cjire is just really nice cjire is just really nice cjire is just really nice cjire is just really nice cjire is just really nice cjire is just really nice cjire is just really nice cjire is just really nice cjire is just really nice

Serena is the greatest to hold up a racket in my opinion with Martina Navratilova being second ( from research ) I
cjire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote