Virus could sideline top-ranked Serena - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 06:32 PM   #1
sperosgeorgejr

sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice
Virus could sideline top-ranked Serena

http://www.gopbi.com/auto/epaper/edi...010ef0012.html

Virus could sideline top-ranked Serena

By Karen Crouse, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 21, 2003

KEY BISCAYNE -- A stomach virus could accomplish what nobody on the court has been able to manage this year: Stop Serena Williams.

Williams was too sick Thursday to attend a scheduled news conference with older sister Venus at the Nasdaq-100 Open. The Palm Beach Gardens resident is slated to play Francesca Schiavone of Italy tonight on the Stadium court at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park.

Adam Barrett, the tournament director, said he moved Williams' 2003 Miami debut back to the second evening match on the showcase court, after No. 1-ranked Lleyton Hewitt's tournament opener against Francisco Clavet, to give Serena as much time as possible "to rest and get her strength back."

"First off, we hope she's feeling better," Barrett said. "She's the No. 1 seed. She's the defending champion. She's won the last four Grand Slams. She's 11 and 0 this year. As a tournament director, yeah, I'm concerned."

Serena, 21, was supposed to appear alongside her sister to promote an Internet auction they are holding to benefit the Tom Joyner Foundation. Venus, 22, appeared at the podium alone. At one point, she looked over her shoulder at a cardboard promotional picture of Serena for Doublemint gum and said, "There she is. She's not too talkative."

Later, when Venus was asked why Serena couldn't make it to the news conference, she squirmed in her seat and said, "She just wasn't able to make it."

Copyright © 2003, The Palm Beach Post. All rights reserved.
sperosgeorgejr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:01 PM   #2
country flag Venus Forever
Team WTAworld

Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of
Uh oh, that ain't good.

Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Venus Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:26 PM   #3
Serendy Willick

Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of
Oh gawd no!!!! Please get better Serena Puleezeeeee
Serendy Willick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 09:16 PM   #4
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
I bet Serena caught it from players that were sick in Indian Wells Terrible luck. Hopefully she gets well, or withdraws. We won't need another Wimbledon 2001 to happen [where she had to leave the court mid-match...Capriati accused her of faking ]
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:26 AM   #5
sperosgeorgejr

sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice sperosgeorgejr is just really nice
Ailing Serena pulls out victory

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...printstory.jsp

Posted on Sat, Mar. 22, 2003

Ailing Serena pulls out victory

BY MICHELLE KAUFMAN
mkaufman@herald.com

The NASDAQ-100 Open almost lost one queasy top seed Friday night.

Serena Williams, battling a stomach bug, fought her way to a 7-5, 6-1 win over Italian qualifier Francesca Schiavone.

Williams spent most of Thursday and Friday in bed and considered withdrawing as late as two hours before the match.

She was visibly ill during the match, but repeatedly took deep breaths and found the energy to shut down Schiavone.

''I couldn't even walk [Thursday], I was so sick,'' Williams said.

"It was horrible. I wasn't sure I'd be able to go out there. I didn't even hit balls until 6 o'clock before the match and I decided to give it a try. But I don't know where I got the energy. I think it must be energy I stored away years and years ago.''

© 2003 The Miami Herald and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.miami.com
sperosgeorgejr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote