Thursday Night Report - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:19 AM   #1
lokon

lokon is an unknown quantity at this point lokon is an unknown quantity at this point lokon is an unknown quantity at this point lokon is an unknown quantity at this point lokon is an unknown quantity at this point lokon is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Thursday Night Report

Hi all, not too tired for some reason, but Im sure in a couple of minutes it will hit me like a brick wall

Today's report might not be too interesting, but Il leave it up to you guys

I got to the park around 5 and did my usual runaround of all the courts to see who was where. I saw bits of the Alberto Martin - Falvio Sarretta, Koukalova - Marrero, and Montanes - Sanguinetti matches. Didnt stay too long for those since none of them appeared to be real interesting plus I needed to see if Sargisian had started.

I ran into Hantuchova practicing on one of the nearby courts and snapped a few photos. Its strange but somewhow she looked to have gained some weight since Monday, but perhaps it was just the lighting . I headed over to the grandstand and on my way there caught Gambill practicing (with his shirt ON! shocking) and then I saw Michael Chang. I got some photos of him. On the other court was Kiefer and someone else who I dont recall right now...

So I headed over to the grandstand where the Sarge was playing Verkerk. I saw Sluiter standing next to the bleachers watching him, those two must be really good friends since they always practice together and support one another. Its nice to see that though. So I took my seat and it was in the middle of the first set. The match would go on for three sets and end in a tie-break, but I must say what an entertaining match. Verkerk has such a monsterous serve and poor Sargis had a Martina Hingis second serve . Luckily Verkerk didnt really pounce on it, and I cant figure out why. It might have been that it was heavily sliced. In any case my boy Sargis lost the match, but looked really upbeat afterwards because he knew he gave it his all, and there was a group of us cheering him on. So he was content, as was Verkerk.

So that match took a while and finally ended around 7:15. I decided to eat something since I was starving. $6.50 for a freaking cheeseburger...outrageous!

I then took my oh so delicious food and sat in on the Calleri - Sanchez match. Kinda boring as Agustin was running away and over poor David. Then while in Court 2, I heard a large amount of booing coming from the stadium, and I thought oh no they are booing poor Kiefer. So I dashed out of there and went to the stadium and was surprised to see how badly Kiefer was losing. I came in on the last two games of the second set and Kiefer looked totally disinterested in being there. So Chang won easily and was given a huge round of applause and a nice little ceremony took place for him on behalf of the tournament. Its nice to see the officials take stock in great players.

After the small ceremony I decided I might as well stay for the Kournikova - Safina match. When the two girls entered the court the crowd was roaring for Anna. I might also add that there were so many prepubescent boys there I thought it was an amusement park. So as they sit down they have 'Oh yes its Ladies Night' playing over the loudspeaker. For some reason I thought this utterly hilarious and couldnt control my laughter. So the announcer then gives the player profiles and I could hardly understand what he was saying. In any case the crowd loved Anna, and were cajoled into giving her a nice "Florida" welcome. If it were a real Florida welcome someone would have run down to Anna snatched her purse and hit her upside the head. Actually that would have been really funny I digress. So they start warming up, and just from their warmup I could tell right away this was going to be an ugly match. Anna kept dumping balls into the net, Safina kept over-hitting. When they started to practice serve, I thought ohmigod am I really going to watch this? I did. So they started the match with Dinara winning the cointoss and electing to return first. The first set was the most fabulously craptacular tennis I have ever seen. Anna double faulted her way to that 6-1 loss. At first I thought how sad, then I just start clapping and laughing whenever she double faulted. And it wasnt even Safina playing well, both girls just sucked in that first set. Anna was just so much more worse.

After the first set people started getting up and leaving and everyone was saying how much Anna sucks as a tennis player . The second set started with Safina not doing anything with th eball except hitting it out. Seriously I thought Anna was going to win if she just kept the ball in play Dinara was definitely going to make the error. Unfortunately Anna decided that it was her turn to start making errors. Her serve was awful. I cant stress this enough. It looked like the avg speed was 73mph, and she didnt know where in the world it was going to go. Finally towards the end it looked like the both of them started to calm down. Give Anna credit, she can smack that ball hard, but so can Safina. They had about 3 good rallies where each of them was pounding the ball. But the next point was either Anna hitting an easy put-away volley into the GROUND, not the net, the GROUND...a volley INTO the ground, or Safina just hitting way out. So it was a matter of time before Safina won.

After that match I was tempted to go back to the grandstand to watch the Beck - Lapentti match, but realized that I have to work tomorrow.

Also there was this guy behind me who talked all this shit up about why Anna was not winning and he was spouting off the most nonsensical tennis talk Ive ever heard, and he didnt even know who Safina was...whatever.

But that was my evening. Im going to be at the park the whole day tomorrow so I should have some good stuff for tomorrow night. Ill wait to upload this pictures, since I only took a couple this time.

Advertisement

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:22 AM   #2
Yak

Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice Yak is just really nice
LOL! Anna you dumped a volley in the ground? Dinara, you'll have to clean it up to play Ai!

Anna never did good at night! I don't know they didn't get a day match!
Yak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:25 AM   #3
country flag WhatTheDeuce
11/11/11

WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute
LOL Anna....Good job....
Never come

WhatTheDeuce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:27 AM   #4
Leena

Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point Leena is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the report.

I love the Anna-Dinara stuff.
Leena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:29 AM   #5
country flag WhatTheDeuce
11/11/11

WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute
LOL im cracking up at one of my favorite players.... anna, you have got to get it together....
Never come

WhatTheDeuce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:33 AM   #6
Chance
Keeper of Secrets

Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future
thanks lokon,hope you have fun tomorrow.

Veelieve
Chance is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:34 AM   #7
lokon

lokon is an unknown quantity at this point lokon is an unknown quantity at this point lokon is an unknown quantity at this point lokon is an unknown quantity at this point lokon is an unknown quantity at this point lokon is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe it was her injury but she was just not playing good tennis at all. The one thing she did really well I thought was whip that hair braid around. Every other second she was tossing her head and my focus would just go towards that long braid of hair, and how much fun it would be to smack people with it
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 06:22 AM   #8
country flag matthias
Gaspa's Hubby

matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute
wow - Anna is back
thanks for the report
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:02 AM   #9
country flag The Guilty
Team WTAworld

The Guilty has much to be proud of The Guilty has much to be proud of The Guilty has much to be proud of The Guilty has much to be proud of The Guilty has much to be proud of The Guilty has much to be proud of The Guilty has much to be proud of The Guilty has much to be proud of The Guilty has much to be proud of The Guilty has much to be proud of The Guilty has much to be proud of
Thanks for the report

Anna can do so much better than that. But she will
The Guilty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:26 AM   #10
country flag vaiva

vaiva has disabled reputation
Thanks, lokon, again for the report
vaiva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 08:14 AM   #11
country flag per4ever
Team WTAworld

per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of
poor anna
per4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 10:22 AM   #12
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. I wish I could have seen it.
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 10:36 AM   #13
lokon

No problem guys, I just wish it was a more spectacular tennis match. You can tell Anna HAS a natural talent on the court, she just seriously needs to get it together.

On a side note, for those of you who have requested pictures, bear with me . Its been a nonstop ride since monday, but I will be sure that each of you gets the pictures they wanted
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 11:06 AM   #14
country flag Wimanna

Wimanna has a reputation beyond repute Wimanna has a reputation beyond repute Wimanna has a reputation beyond repute Wimanna has a reputation beyond repute Wimanna has a reputation beyond repute Wimanna has a reputation beyond repute Wimanna has a reputation beyond repute Wimanna has a reputation beyond repute Wimanna has a reputation beyond repute Wimanna has a reputation beyond repute Wimanna has a reputation beyond repute
Lol, funny report....tnx Lokon
Wimanna is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 11:32 AM   #15
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute
Lousy match; great report! Thanks, lokon!
auntie janie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote