Who should play in the 2014 Australian Open wildcard tournament? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 24th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #1
jkelley94

jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all
Who should play in the 2014 Australian Open wildcard tournament?

Some candidates:
  • Coco Vandeweghe (current rank 113): Good chance of making the draw regardless, but definitely the #1 option if she can't
  • Shelby Rogers (116): is she done for the year?
  • Melanie Oudin (121): She's fighting like hell to get there on her own, but IMO too many points to defend
  • Mallory Burdette (131): If healthy, no-brainer for an invite
  • Grace Min (134): USTA product, another no-brainer
  • Maria Sanchez (140): Was so close to top 100 all year, but has had a really rough few months
  • Irina Falconi (153): tearing it up on the Australian Pro Tour. Maybe she'll get a WC from TennisAustralia
  • Madison Brengle (155): a strong fall has me thinking she should definitely be in the conversation. I think she can hit the top 100 next year if she stays healthy and focused
  • Julia Cohen (185): I mean, if it were me, I wouldn't...
  • Sachia Vickery (189): I'm guessing she'll finish the year ahead of Cohen. I just think she's had a quietly terrific year and at her age deserves this shot
  • Victoria Duval (197): Despite her post-USOpen blues, another girl who deserves a shot (then again, she might do better going through qualies like she did in Queens)
  • Jessica Pegula (201): if she has a strong fall finish...
  • Nicole Gibbs (204): I really want to see her do well, and support college girls, but she might need to do this the hard way
Other possibilities: Townsend, Hsu, Chirico ...

Thoughts?
jkelley94 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 25th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #2
country flag goOudinUSA
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who should play in the 2014 Australian Open wildcard tournament?

Usually it is players are just outside making the MD. The field will be decided in November...

If it's in Atlanta, I'm going to try and go!! It was a lot of fun the previous year I went!

Bally

Ana Ivanovic
goOudinUSA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #3
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

No idea if it's a possibility, but I'd really like to see the USTA make this a 12 or 16-player draw this year. Not sure how you deny the opportunity to any of the girls listed without getting accused of playing favorites.
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #4
country flag Chilenaitor

Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future
Allie kiick not?

Sent from my iPod touch using VS Free
Chilenaitor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #5
jkelley94

jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all jkelley94 is a name known to all

Well last year, for instance, they let Christian Harrison in. And according to this thread, they invited Riske ahead of Min (only to let Min play after Sanchez withdrew). Also, looks like Pegula (ranked #147 at the time) turned them down last year, so maybe she shouldn't get an invite this year?

I think they should go with the top 6 in the rankings plus one junior and one wildcard. I would love to see someone like a Marand or an Elie or a Mueller have a chance at a dream run/Cindarella story. Of course, that wouldn't be fair to the intervening players... Or why not a fan vote for the 8th spot

Really hoping Coco makes it to near the Top 100 over the next 2.5 weeks so we can get another prospect in the running...
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #6
country flag blainec

blainec is just really nice blainec is just really nice blainec is just really nice blainec is just really nice blainec is just really nice blainec is just really nice blainec is just really nice blainec is just really nice blainec is just really nice blainec is just really nice blainec is just really nice

I'd invite
1. Coco ( think she's gonna make it on own over next 2 weeks)
2. Melanie
3. Shelby (possibly injured)
4. Madison brengle (awesome year)
5. Asia Muhammad ( finishing strong )
6. Taylor Townsend
7. Allie kiick (hopefully wins it because she's prob gonna end up just outside qualies draw)
8. Sachia vickery
9. Grace min
10. Vicky duval
11. Louisa chirico
12. Sam Crawford
13 mal burdette
14. Tornado
15 Gibbs
16. Jess pegula
Sorry no Cohen, falconi or hsu. Maybe boserup whose on comeback trail
blainec is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #7
jkelley94

The rankings have shifted a bit this week. Here's how they stand (officially). Note that Florence hasn't been added:
  1. CoCo Vandeweghe (108) - looking good for direct entry, with two more weeks to add points!
  2. Melanie Oudin (117) - a big 70 points about to drop off, meaning she'd have to pretty much sweep her next two tourneys to have any shot at AO direct entry
  3. Shelby Rogers (121) - everything okay, Shelby?
  4. Mallory Burdette (137) - everything okay, Mal?
  5. Grace Min (140) - withdrew from Nantes, hope everything's okay...
  6. Maria Sanchez (145) - New Braunfels this week. Desperate for a win.
  7. Irina Falconi (146) - Just keeps racking up points, Bendigo 2 this week
  8. Madison Brengle (153) - Doesn't count her Florence final from last week. New Braunfels this week
  9. Julia Cohen (182) - Hey, Julia
  10. Sachia Vickery (189) - Not playing this week?
  11. Victoria Duval (198) - 7th seed in Toronto Drew Dabrowski first round
  12. Jessica Pegula (199) - defending semi points in Toronto, will be tough to move up. Could face Mel in quarters
  13. Nicole Gibbs (201) - New Braunfels for her, could use a nice result
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #8
country flag tenisamulo

tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute

Vickery and Duval should be on the list

Why is Mel still on this list She shouldn't need one at this stage. But she's had such an inconsistent year, and the first one without any big wins that I can think of. A few really nice performances here and there, but not enough to amount to anything. Also, she's played the AO every year since 2009 and never made it to the second round. She'll likely play for the WC, and may well win, but I think qualifying might be the better way to go.

I doubt Coco will need a WC, she's pretty close and seems to be playing well enough to make it without one.

It would be cool If Asia could win it. She's finally having some results.

Last edited by tenisamulo : Nov 18th, 2013 at 03:30 AM.
tenisamulo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #9
jkelley94

New rankings, and just one tournament in the US to go!
  1. CoCo Vandeweghe (110) - That first-round loss really hurt. AO direct entry no sure thing
  2. Shelby Rogers (123) - Anyone know Shelby's status? Could she even play the WC tourney?
  3. Melanie Oudin (127) - if nothing else, she's set herself up to make another run at the Top 100 next year
  4. Mallory Burdette (141) - another player completely out of action. Imagine if all the US girls were healthy!
  5. Irina Falconi (146) - I think all that tennis finally caught up with her. Still, a great fall (well, spring) in AUS
  6. Grace Min (151) - dropped a bit last week, not playing this week
  7. Maria Sanchez (152) - the 78 Phoenix points that propped up her ranking all year are coming off. Ouch
  8. Madison Brengle (153) - Still can't crack that CHR
  9. Victoria Duval (168) - Awesome job in Canada! Impossible to imagine USTA not inviting her to Atlanta (or wherever)
  10. Nicole Gibbs (184) - She's 7-3 in her last 3 tournaments, but that semi loss to Kustova in Texas was a head scratcher
  11. Julia Cohen (186) - Hey, Julia
  12. Sachia Vickery (190) - Not playing this week, either
  13. Jessica Pegula (206) - Back out of the Top 200. Don't see her on "the list" unless Rogers/Burdette/others unable to go. And even then, they might rather go a different route (ahem CHIRICO)
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #10
country flag goOudinUSA
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Player Announcement: November 18, 2013

Tickets are already on sale. It is in Atlanta again this year!

Schedule: Friday Dec 20-Sunday Dec 22

Bally

Ana Ivanovic
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #11
country flag GOATdin0931

GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute

Line up announced tomorrow!
GOATdin0931 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #12
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait!

Btw, I can't believe they scheduled this so close to Christmas
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #13

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

My guesses...

Duval
Vickery
Oudin
Sanchez
Gibbs
CoCo
Rogers
Burdette
--------------

Alts in case Burdette & Rogers are still injured or that CoCo will decline and pray for many withdrawals like last year

Min
Brengle
Chirico

Longshots

Pegula & Falconi Oh, and Stevenson <<< j/k

Old Nov 19th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #14
country flag goOudinUSA
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Still no line-up announced yet...

Bally

Ana Ivanovic
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #15

Still nothing on the website

The USTA is slacken off