FWTT Year End Championships [2013] - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 26th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #76
country flag Duramont

Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FWTT Year End Championships [2013]

Siri/Harper

Minella :: Lisicki :: Date :: Cornet :: Jankovic :: Siniakova :: Diyas :: Svitolina
Duramont is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 26th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #77
country flag Qalahari

Qalahari has a reputation beyond repute Qalahari has a reputation beyond repute Qalahari has a reputation beyond repute Qalahari has a reputation beyond repute Qalahari has a reputation beyond repute Qalahari has a reputation beyond repute Qalahari has a reputation beyond repute Qalahari has a reputation beyond repute Qalahari has a reputation beyond repute Qalahari has a reputation beyond repute Qalahari has a reputation beyond repute

Xhaka :ekk:
Sorry Jen
JaJa / TaTo

LaraM / Cucumber / B
acs / Kennel

formerly known as Mr. Joyful, MUFFIN MONSTER, S.T.A.R. and Cucumber_Conny.
Qalahari is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #78
country flag Buitenzorg

Buitenzorg has a reputation beyond repute Buitenzorg has a reputation beyond repute Buitenzorg has a reputation beyond repute Buitenzorg has a reputation beyond repute Buitenzorg has a reputation beyond repute Buitenzorg has a reputation beyond repute Buitenzorg has a reputation beyond repute Buitenzorg has a reputation beyond repute Buitenzorg has a reputation beyond repute Buitenzorg has a reputation beyond repute Buitenzorg has a reputation beyond repute

Fleri/Kath Congrats Ruffy and Jen
Buitenzorg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #79
country flag Savior

Savior has a brilliant future Savior has a brilliant future Savior has a brilliant future Savior has a brilliant future Savior has a brilliant future Savior has a brilliant future Savior has a brilliant future Savior has a brilliant future Savior has a brilliant future Savior has a brilliant future Savior has a brilliant future

Break Point: Harper Johnson Announces Split from Longtime Doubles Partner

Istanbul, Turkey - They're called "The Bridesmaids of the FWTT." Famous, or rather, infamous for finishing as the runners-up at the FWTT's biggest doubles events. But, what that nickname belies is the fact that, more than any other doubles pairing in FWTT history, American Harper Johnson and her doubles partner of six years, Siri Cornetsson of Sweden, have held virtually all of the games most coveted hardware over the course of their storied partnership. After this week, however, that partnership will be no more.

Johnson, having bowed out of the FWTT Year End singles champion without a win during round robin play, announced this morning that she and Cornetsson would not be playing together in 2014.

"I love Siri and cannot possibly imagine having the kind of success we've had over the past six years with anyone else," Johnson said at a press conference this morning. "But, we both saw that our goals were shifting a bit. Siri has decided to focus her attention on her singles results, which have been amazing this year. And, I think, next year looks to be a new picture in a lot of ways. So, this was a good time to refocus what I wanted to do with my career a bit, too. There are absolutely no hard feelings and I will always look to partner up with her again when the chance presents itself. She is, in my opinion, the greatest doubles player ever. And, I have been lucky to share a court with her for so many years."

Cornetsson and Johnson started their history-making partnership in 2008, reaching their first career final together in Charleston, South Carolina. Since then, the pair have won virtually all of the sport's top doubles titles. Their first Grand Slam came less than a year after that first final, when the duo captured the trophy at Roland Garros in 2009. The next year, they picked up their second Slam title, winning at the US Open. A few months later, in January of 2011, they would pick up their third career slam title at the Australian Open. Last year, the pair hoisted the hardware here in Istanbul, winning the Year End Doubles Championship after two straight years as the runners up. All told, Cornetsson and Johnson have won 19 doubles titles including major wins in high profile events in Miami, Tokyo, Toronto, Cincinnati, Indian Wells and Stanford.

However, it's the times that they didn't win that have defined the pair's legacy. On thirty six occasions - more than half of the 50+ events in which they've reached the final - they have walked away with the smaller trophy. In 2009, 2011 and 2013, the duo came up short seven different times. In fact, this year, the two lost their first seven finals before finally prevailing in Carlsbad. But, its their defeat in the 2011 Wimbledon final - a heartbreaking 6-7(1), 7-6(2), 13-11 loss to Giuseppena Benedetti & Lindsay Raymond in which they served for the match not once, not twice, but three times - that has proven the most lasting sting of all. The defeat prevents them from claiming a career Grand Slam, having won the other three titles during their career.

However, according to Johnson, it is that loss that may bring the two together again down the road.

"There's always Wimbledon," Johnson said with a wry smile. "We still have that ghost haunting us a little bit. Maybe, a few years from now, we'll take another run at that. I'd love to give it another try. But, for right now, we're going to change things up a bit. I'm looking forward to what's next. For Siri. And, for myself."
Savior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #80
country flag VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Keeper of Venus & Serena

VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute

HOLY SHIT

#legacyteam

Loves of my life....
Venus Ebone Starr Williams
Serena Jamica Williams
a lifelong and devoted fan since 1996

Official Life Coach of the Royal Court
VSFan1 aka Joshua L. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #81
Keeper of Venus & Serena

VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute

Red Group Results, Day 3
[4]Ruflina Taliamanosoko def. [1]Elise Mesane 7/6(2), 6/1
[7]Harper Johnson def. [10]Alina Patersson 1/6, 6/3, 7/5

Ruflina finishes off the Red Group in style, defeating her long-time friend, rival, and sometimes frenemy in two sets, Elise Mesane, who happens to be the #1 player in the world. Ruffy has not only gone 3-0 but she has also won all six sets. Meanwhile, Harper shocked the FWTT world with the announcement of her split with Siri for 2014. She was able to come out and win her last match of 2013, and not many can say that, in a three set struggle over Alina.

Loves of my life....
Serena Jamica Williams

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #82
Keeper of Venus & Serena

Blue Group Results, Day 3

[6]Jennifer Casanova def. [2]Regla Torres 7/6(1), 0/6, 6/0
[11]Xhakalinda Saikikimbondwe def. [9]Fleri Hingisafrilia 2/6, 7/6(3), 6/4

The blue group was rocked today in which created a perfect storm for Xhaka to advance to the semifinals. First, the formerly winless Jennifer Casanova defeats the #2 player in the world, Regla Torres in an oddly shaped match with a pair of bagels, albeit from both players. Jennifer, like Harper in the red group, finishes off her singles events in 2013 with a win. Next, Xhaka took the court and came from behind to defeat Fleri in dramatic fashion, saving not one, not two, not three......saving EIGHT match points in the second set to go 2-1 in the group and now advances to the semifinals based on her head to head in the group.

Loves of my life....
Serena Jamica Williams

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #83
Keeper of Venus & Serena

Green Group Results, Day 3

[3]Alexandra Anastidis def. [5]Siri Cornetsson 6/2, 6/4
[8]Abigail Ashdown def. [12]Samantha Soren 6/3, 0/6, 6/4

Like Xhaka in the blue group, Alexa needed a perfect storm to advance to the semifinals of the green group. She came out and defeated Siri in straight sets, to not only give her the lead in the head to head between the two (both are at 2-1) but also the edge in sets (Alexa with 5-2 in sets and Siri with 4-3 in sets). Next, Abigail either had to lose to the winless Sam or defeat her in three sets. She did and that then propelled Alexa to the top of the group. She advances based off of sets won, while Siri comes in second and hopes for the semifinals spot and Abby finished third having a sets record of 5-4.

Loves of my life....
Serena Jamica Williams

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #84
Keeper of Venus & Serena

Once S-T-E-V-E posts the updated standings (with the 4th semifinalists), the draw will be posted for the semifinals. Everyone in the semifinals may send new points if they wish. If not the points used in the round robin will be used. If the player sent multiple points, the points used against the player on Day 1 will be used.

Loves of my life....
Serena Jamica Williams

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #85
Keeper of Venus & Serena

Doubles Results, First Round Bottom Half

[5]Alexandra Anastidis and Xhakalinda Saikikimbondwe defeated [3]Sabine Graf and Elise Mesane 7/6(2), 6/4
Alexa and Xhaka have a love affair with Istanbul. After eeking through their groups by winning in perfect storms, they unite in doubles to move to the semifinals with an upset over Sabine and Elise.

[2]Giuseppina Benedetti and Regla Torres defeated Susan Day and Vittoria Perez 2/6, 6/2, 7/6(3)
It was a sad day in Istanbul as Vittoria played (maybe) her last match in doubles of 2013 as she and Susan succumbed to the power of Regla and Giusa.

Loves of my life....
Serena Jamica Williams

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #86
country flag Duramont

Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute

Teary eyed Siri Cornetsson reacts to doubles break up

"There are always emotions when something great ends. My doubles partnership with Harper has been something really special. We may have lost alot of doubles finals but at the end of the day we managed to win three different doubles Grand Slams and the Championships. Without Harper I wouldn't be a Grand Slam champion as I am still slamless in singles and mixed doubles."

Siri is known to be a good team player with also a mixed number 1 ranking during 2011 and a Fed Cup win. She speaks about how hard the tour can be.

"I have been playing this game since 7 years now and know very well how tough life as a tennis player can be. At Wimbledon 2011 Harper and me were only a few points away from getting our doubles career Grand Slam, earlier in 2009 I couldn't take my chances to get to singles number 1 and so on. It is important to have good friends on tour and also get different perspectives, the team competitions always gives me alot."

At the Championships Siri and Harper are still in the run for their title defence as they take on Taliamanosoko/Casanova in the semifinals which have undoubtly been their biggest rivals during their partnership.

Minella :: Lisicki :: Date :: Cornet :: Jankovic :: Siniakova :: Diyas :: Svitolina
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #87
country flag Duramont

Last 4 semifinalists are Ruflina, Xhaka, Fleri (5-3 sets) and Alexandra.

Siri

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #88
country flag S-T-E-V-E

S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute

Patersson:
  • 1-2, 3-4, 36-39
Mesane
  • 1-2, 2-5 33-41
Johnson
  • 1-2, 3-5, 35-41
Taliamanosko
  • 3-0, 6-0, 39-22
Torres
  • 1-2, 4-4, 41-40
Fleri
  • 2-1, 5-3, 46-40
Xhaka
  • 2-1, 4-4, 40-45
Casanova
  • 1-2, 3-5, 38-40
Ashdown
  • 2-1, 5-4, 37-41
Anastadis
  • 2-1, 5-2, 40-29
Siri
  • 2-1, 4-3, 32-34
Soren
  • 0-3, 1-6, 33-38
S-T-E-V-E is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #89
country flag S-T-E-V-E

S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute S-T-E-V-E has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, have no time to do it proberly, but the players in red are qualified for the semifinals. Matches , Sets , Games

Ruffy vs Xhaka
Fleri vs Alexandra
S-T-E-V-E is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #90
country flag alexjones

alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold

well not a bad run for Abigail I guess considering it's her first year on tour, winning 2 of her 3 matches is pretty good. The loss against Siri cost her dearly though. also simply winning a match at the YEC sometimes isn't enough, you have to do it in straight sets and Abigail failed to accomplish any straight set victories. Pretty amazing first year on tour for Abigail overall, wasn't even on the rankings at the start of the year and ends the year at ranking no 8, the only downside is Abigail's failure to take any titles.
alexjones is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote