Sabatini: "I lost matches to avoid media attention" - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 21st, 2013, 02:56 AM   #1
country flag wtennisphan

wtennisphan has a reputation beyond repute wtennisphan has a reputation beyond repute wtennisphan has a reputation beyond repute wtennisphan has a reputation beyond repute wtennisphan has a reputation beyond repute wtennisphan has a reputation beyond repute wtennisphan has a reputation beyond repute wtennisphan has a reputation beyond repute wtennisphan has a reputation beyond repute wtennisphan has a reputation beyond repute wtennisphan has a reputation beyond repute
Sabatini: "I lost matches to avoid media attention"

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UmSI5BCwVOo

Quote:
Former U.S. Open champion Gabriela Sabatini tells La Nacion that she was so overwhelmed by media attention when she was young that she deliberately lost matches to avoid talking to the press.

"When I was younger and thought that I had to talk after winning a tournament, I often lost in the semifinals so I did not have to. It was that bad!" Sabatini said. "I was very introverted. I had some issues at school because I was very inward-looking."

The 43-year-old Sabatini, who never eclipsed the No. 3 ranking and lost numerous matches late in Grand Slams, said her high public profile often became too much to handle.

"I think my fame and my public profile had something to do with the fact that I did not become No. 1,” she said. “To be so famous would also have been a problem if I had been No. 1.”
From the inimitable Matt Cronin.
wtennisphan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:00 AM   #2
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sabatini: "I lost matches to avoid media attention"

Some people are made to be champion and relish the role, others are not.

I would not be happy if I were her fan then. She self-sabotaged

I wonder what posters who were her fan then now think about this statement.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Oct 21st, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:01 AM   #3
country flag Becool

Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute

what a lame excuse?!

serena
townsend × rezaï × lisicki
vesnina × keys × mladenovic

facebook ~ twitter
[#ps - in portuguese]
Becool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:04 AM   #4
country flag Chunchun
Team WTAworld

Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute

OKAY
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:11 AM   #5
country flag Kuzzy24

Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute Kuzzy24 has a reputation beyond repute

That didn't stop Graf.
Kuzzy24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:11 AM   #6
country flag TennisGhost

TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute TennisGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I actually think she is telling the truth.

I'd be dissapointed if I were one of her fans, though..
TennisGhost is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:16 AM   #7
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisGhost View Post

I'd be dissapointed if I were one of her fans, though..
That is the unfortunate part of this.
Now some her fans who may have made comment like "Gabby fought so hard, but she lost. I am so proud her...", would wish they can take those words back.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Oct 22nd, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:21 AM   #8
country flag Greco

Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of

Gabriela

Touch me, touch me, don't be shy, I'll lay down face up this time, under you like a G.U.Y.

Croatian Tennis on facebook★
Greco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:35 AM   #9
country flag Farmscruff

Farmscruff is a glorious beacon of light Farmscruff is a glorious beacon of light Farmscruff is a glorious beacon of light Farmscruff is a glorious beacon of light Farmscruff is a glorious beacon of light Farmscruff is a glorious beacon of light Farmscruff is a glorious beacon of light Farmscruff is a glorious beacon of light Farmscruff is a glorious beacon of light Farmscruff is a glorious beacon of light Farmscruff is a glorious beacon of light

If it is true she must regret it, otherwise why bother bringing it up now????
Farmscruff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:40 AM   #10
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmscruff View Post
If it is true she must regret it, otherwise why bother bringing it up now????
Perhaps she tired of rumors of underachiever.
She want want the world to know there was mad science behind all that

Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:40 AM   #11
country flag hdfb

hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute

Just watch this thread turn into a Seles vs Graf debate with something uttered about Graf's slam count.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:42 AM   #12
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfb View Post
Just watch this thread turn into a Seles vs Graf debate with something uttered about Graf's slam count.
You're first one to bring that up, I guess you will be blamed for it if and when it does take that turn.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Oct 22nd, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:52 AM   #13
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

Although one might say even if she didn't deliberately try to lose, that mentality would have sunk her against any top opponent in a close match.
I would assume this meant against lesser opponents on smaller stages that unconsciously affected her on the larger stages.

Yah sounds right

/fan

instargram
duhcity is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:54 AM   #14
country flag superstition

superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute

That is very weird. It's not like you don't get attention getting to the semis of a major. But, it looks like she means she mainly did this when she was a young player.
superstition is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:57 AM   #15
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony. View Post
Although one might say even if she didn't deliberately try to lose, that mentality would have sunk her against any top opponent in a close match.
I would assume this meant against lesser opponents on smaller stages that unconsciously affected her on the larger stages.

Yah sounds right

/fan
No, I don't agree.
Why? The explanation she gave. Avoid media attention.

Where do you think she would get most media attention
Beating lesser opponent on small stage, bigger opponent on big stage.