Will Serena break the record? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Can Serena break the record and stay undefeated the entire season 2003?

Yes she can. She´s the queen of courts at the moment 4 7.55%
No, are you kidding me? She´ll lose one match for sure 37 69.81%
I don´t have a clue. Hard to say. Let´s wait and see. 12 22.64%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 10:20 AM   #1
country flag Oizo
Everything Fades Away

Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute
Will Serena break the record?

Records are made to be broken. And as you all know, Serena wants to break the record, by staying undefeated this year. No one managed to stay undefeated in one calendar-year in tennis history. Who will spoil the party? Venus? Lindsay? Jenny? Or will Serena succeed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #2
country flag Vincent

Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future
Hopefully not

Vincent is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #3
country flag AjdeNate!
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.

AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute
She certainly could do it, but it's a tough one. Just one off day and the goal is kaput.
AjdeNate! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 11:05 AM   #4
calabar

calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrero
Hopefully not

In order for the record to be meaningful, it would have to be based on a minimum number of events played. Supposed someone plays and wins a tune-up tournament before the Austrailian Open in January and then gets injured and NEVER playes for the rest of the year. Techninically, that player would finish the year UNDEFEATED. So for this feat to me meaningful, what would be the minimum number of tournaments that would be required? Should it be 17, since that is the number cited by the tour as being a "full" season? And what if Serena plays "only" 13 tournaments and goes 13-0, would that feat surpasses Navratilova who I believed played a "full" season and lost 1 match in the early 80's?

Thoughts anyone?

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Until the philosophy which holds one race
Superior and another inferior
Is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned
Everywhere is war, me say war...

- Bob Marley/Haile Selassie
calabar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 11:08 AM   #5
country flag GoGoMaggie

GoGoMaggie is a jewel in the rough GoGoMaggie is a jewel in the rough GoGoMaggie is a jewel in the rough GoGoMaggie is a jewel in the rough GoGoMaggie is a jewel in the rough GoGoMaggie is a jewel in the rough GoGoMaggie is a jewel in the rough GoGoMaggie is a jewel in the rough GoGoMaggie is a jewel in the rough GoGoMaggie is a jewel in the rough GoGoMaggie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by calabar
In order for the record to be meaningful, it would have to be based on a minimum number of events played. Supposed someone plays and wins a tune-up tournament before the Austrailian Open in January and then gets injured and NEVER playes for the rest of the year. Techninically, that player would finish the year UNDEFEATED. So for this feat to me meaningful, what would be the minimum number of tournaments that would be required? Should it be 17, since that is the number cited by the tour as being a "full" season? And what if Serena plays "only" 13 tournaments and goes 13-0, would that feat surpasses Navratilova who I believed played a "full" season and lost 1 match in the early 80's?

Thoughts anyone?
This is an interesting point.
GoGoMaggie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 11:34 AM   #6
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute
I say if Serena wins all the slams, and about 10 other tournaments, that would definately surpass Martina's record. (she lost at least two matches though, it wasn't only one ) When Martina was playing, it was common knowledge that the tournament really didn't start until the semi-finals as there were a whole bunch of no names filling in the first couple of rounds. Today, however, the caliber of players Martina was facing in a tier two semi or even final, appear in Serena's round of 32, Round of 16, and Quarter Finals, wheras she has to face two players of the same caliber as Martina's finalists- one in the semis, and then the finalist herself. Since the depth has gotten sooooo much greater, Serena would be mad to try and play 17 events. It would be a miracle if she could play all her matches without getting injured. (remember too that she does more running than the Serve and Volleying Martina) I say that if she goes undefeated in all 14 of her events, that would be an absolutely amazing accomplishment.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 11:37 AM   #7
propi

propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute
Just waiting for european clay season
Du temps
"

propi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 11:37 AM   #8
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute
Yes i think she can if she doesnt get injured, but thats no guarantee.
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #9
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
It's not impossible. The odds are against it though.

The real danger point is on the clay of course. Even on other surfaces the odds are she'll have an off day combined with someone else's good day. If she dominates the year I's still expect her to drop at least 2 or 3 matches.

If she manages it Serena would be the first undefeated woman (in a year) since 1940
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #10
country flag Bright Red

Bright Red has much to be proud of Bright Red has much to be proud of Bright Red has much to be proud of Bright Red has much to be proud of Bright Red has much to be proud of Bright Red has much to be proud of Bright Red has much to be proud of Bright Red has much to be proud of Bright Red has much to be proud of Bright Red has much to be proud of Bright Red has much to be proud of
Serena is the only player that has the ability to do it, but if she doesn't then I hope that it's Venus gets the win over her.

~Venus and now Serena are the worst thing to ever happen to the crow~

Official POPLOCKER of the Royal Court
Bright Red is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #11
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
It would be interesting if she COULD it. Then again, it's almost necessary for her to do so. If she were to DEFEND all of her titles, it would be an historical accomplishment as well.

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #12
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute
it all depends on how many tournaments she plays. if she keeps on being selfish and plays no more than 12/13 tournaments, then yes because obviously the less you play, the more chances you won't be defeated. but i wouild say it's 100% guaranteed that she WILL lose 1 match, and maybe even more. i think she'll lose the most of her matches on clay, and a few on her beloved hardcourt.

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:09 PM   #13
country flag Oizo
Everything Fades Away

Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute
If she plays only 12-13 tourneys then it is possible. But on clay I think it will be taugh to stay undefeated. So I think at least one match she will lose, and that would probably be on clay.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:22 PM   #14
DiZZiA

DiZZiA has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by propi
Just waiting for european clay season
Yep.... exactly what I thought.... The clay season is going to be Serena's real test for the year!!!
DiZZiA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #15
disposablehero

disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future
She already played 3 matches at AO where she won by a single break in the third set, including one where she had match points against her, so I'd have to say its highly unlikely.